Sign in to follow this  
davidlondon

How to deal with virus risk of weather software

The clear advice from PMDG is to switch off real-time scanning when flying the NGX.

Am using McAfee, which I don't think lets you isolate FSX and keep real-time scanning while the weather programs are active.

My questions:

Is there a real risk of virus infection while using (say) REX online? If so, how can one deal with this? With McAfee? Is there an alternative security application, which permits isolation of individual programs? What are other people doing this?

Thanks for any advice!

Best wishes,

David

A computer "virus" doesn't work like that. You have nothing to worry about from your weather software, or FSX or just about anything else like that.

Noah Bryant

Yeah, a virus isn't going to come through your REX or AS weather feeds - viruses aren't just wild code that comes from anywhere like that. You usually have to run some bogus exe file that gets emailed to you or visit a website that exploits a security hole in the browser or a utility like Adobe Flash or Reader etc.

As long as your keep your software (especially Windows itself) up to date and use common sense with what websites you're visiting and not opening email attachments that don't look right, you're not going to get a virus. Those are really the two biggest things, running an antivirus program is just extra protection - the real protection comes from the user.

Also, when we say real time scanning, we mean the scanning of file access activity for FSX when it's already present on your hard drive - when FSX is running its constantly accessing scenery files and stuff - you don't want those being run through a virus scanner every time they're read, it can cause stutters and other problems. This isn't the same thing as completely disabling the AV program - most AV programs have an option for excluding folders - that's what I use, I don't shut it down when I run FSX. This will still scan everything that comes in from the Internet etc.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks, Ryan. Are you able to say which AV suite you are using? I checked again and McAfee Total Protection only gives the option between real-time scanning ALL FILES or just ALL PROGRAMS AND DOCUMENTS. In other words, you can't isolate FSX as a program or folder whilst keeping other Internet scanning on ...

Best wishes,

David

Oh - and thanks to everyone for your other reassurances. I'm just really risk- averse on this, because my work stuff is on the same PC!

Best wishes,

David

Thanks, Ryan. Are you able to say which AV suite you are using? I checked again and McAfee Total Protection only gives the option between real-time scanning ALL FILES or just ALL PROGRAMS AND DOCUMENTS. In other words, you can't isolate FSX as a program or folder whilst keeping other Internet scanning on ...

Best wishes,

David

Oh - and thanks to everyone for your other reassurances. I'm just really risk- averse on this, because my work stuff is on the same PC!

Best wishes,

David

best best is to have your work stuff on a seperate pc if depending of course if you can afford it :0

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Try mse. It's free, gets steady updates from Microsoft & has a very low footprint compared to resource hogs like mcafee & norton.

It's just like Ryan said, stay off the shady sites & don't open unknown email attachments. I've asked people who "sent" attachments of it really came from them & you'd be surprised how often the answer is "No, I haven't emailed you in weeks."

Edit: But there again I have all the filtering disabled on my mail server so I don't have to worry about important stuff being inadvertently blocked.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201

Free, very good and very lightweight on system resources. We all use it at PMDG. It has the exclusions feature I was talking about.

I personally think McAfee, Norton, any of the "big name" AV programs are super bloated and often do more harm than good in how much of your system resources they take up.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I dumped mcafee and norton a long time ago. they are not worth the aggravation they cause with a lot of programs, not just FSX. get MSE or/and malwarebytes.They let you isolate the programs like Ryan has suggested. I use them both and never had a problem with them,FSX, or PMDG

Norton isnt really a resource hog any longer, I believe its one of the lightest programs these days

I use Microsoft Security Essentials - http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=5201

Free, very good and very lightweight on system resources. We all use it at PMDG. It has the exclusions feature I was talking about.

I personally think McAfee, Norton, any of the "big name" AV programs are super bloated and often do more harm than good in how much of your system resources they take up.

I use this is as well for all of the reasons outlined by Ryan. As far as REX goes it downloads the weather info directly from NOAA so you really have a better chance of getting hit by a meteor than getting a virus.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials - http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=5201

Exactly! I've had viruses living happy with McAfee installed and removed them with the free version of Malwarebytes AntiMalware. This is the only thing I use, the paid version for protection. The free version removes the viruses but doesn't provide the live protection and also updates almost everyday.

CheManuel

I used to use MSE like Ryan, but I now use Avast. It's wayyy more complex and better. It is lighter than MSE! I'm looking at task manager right now and it's around 3 megabytes. Not bad!

I use the exclusions thing a lot... I have my Microsoft Games folder in there, and my FSX's Appdata folder in there as well. I have no issues with anything.

Is there a real risk of virus infection while using (say) REX online?

A real risk - no.

If so, how can one deal with this? With McAfee? Is there an alternative security application, which permits isolation of individual programs? What are other people doing this?

I don't run anti-anything. Nothing. Nada.

Keep off the warez sites and you'll be alright.

Best regards,

Robin.

Since virii are propagated via email, drive by website, memory stick etc, even if you are careful, by not having antivirus software you run a real risk of getting infected - and then being completely unaware for an extended period of time.