Silicon Micro Display rolls out $799 ST1080 wearable display

http://www.engadget....arable-display/

1920 x 1080 native 0.74 inch LCoS

45 degrees diagonal field of view

100 inches at 10 feet (at 3 m) virtual image

10% see-through HMD type

2D and 3D-ready

6.3 ounces (180 grams)

I have always been waiting for the time that I can fly FSX with an affordable 1080p HMD plus TrackIR. The visual experience must be awesome. On top of that ST10880 could naturally support 3D which I'd love to see how FSX will look like too!

The price of $799 also sounds fantastic. I believe any other HMD capable of 1080p resolution all cost a you arms and legs. This is great for simmers like me.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Holy cow! Anyone tested this yet? Talk about immersion!

I'm waiting for someone to pull the trigger first... One early review on the web sounds promising, better than SONY's 720p HMD.

More importantly, I need time to figure out how to get around my lovely wife to get this beauty...

Not compatible with TrackIR (or other head tracking equipment), according to the article.

Not compatible with TrackIR (or other head tracking equipment), according to the article.

hard to understand why though. Supposedly all you have to do is to wear the ST1080 and put on the TrackIR clip. ST1080 doesn't have to do anything, just display the image. TrackIR doesn't do anything special either, just controls the view in FSX. Achieving an accurate 1:1 turning angle through a wide range of head movement may be difficult, but other than that it should work....

I don't have a TrackIR, nor have I done much research on it but I believe the receiver needs to be in line with the monitor in order to properly determine the location of one's head, and thus the camera angle needed in order to adjust according to the user's movements. In other words: you need a monitor.

I don't understand this comment in the article; (albeit with just 10 percent transparency). Anybody?

I don't understand this comment in the article; (albeit with just 10 percent transparency). Anybody?

The lenses are semi-transparent, they allow up to 10% of light to pass through them. I believe this is only when operated in a certain mode though, normally you wouldn't want any transparency for a display like this.

There is absolutely no reason why this couldn't be used with TrackIR, use a bit of common sense please.

Cheers, Andy.

There is absolutely no reason why this couldn't be used with TrackIR, use a bit of common sense please.

A bit of common sense would require you to understand how the product works. Track IR is a motion capture device. It is a camera that searches for your head. How is the camera supposed to see your head when it's mounted on your head?

How do you think the TrackIR normally tracks your head? This SiliconMicroDisplay (SMD) does not remove your head or stop you from moving it, it won't stop you from sitting in front of your FS PC and monitor either. You place the SMD on your head, you also place the reflectors from TrackIR on your head too just like normal, the camera as you call it (receiver/transmitter) still stays in the same place on top of your monitor, or you can move it somewhere else if you wish. I would leave it in the same location though on top of my monitor as that is where the rest of my flight sim cockpit is.

As long as the TrackIR camera (receiver) can see the tracking reflectors on top of your head, it should work the same as it would if you were using a monitor, except now the monitor (SMD) moves with your head and you don't have to track the screen with your eyes, you just continue to look straight ahead into the goggles. That is the major advantage as you don't have to look sideways with your eyes to keep the monitor in view when you turn your head to one side, or look up or down at the screen when you tilt your head up or down.

You will still be constrained by the same amount of head movement as you would have been using it with a monitor, so you won't be able to physically turn around 180 degrees in your seat for example in the real world, as the receiver would lose track of the reflectors on your head, but you are unlikely to do that anyway in FS as your joystick isn't going to go with you, lol.

I think 1080 is still a little low resolution for me, I'm used to 1920x1200 and I think I would miss that extra height in the VC.

Cheers, Andy.

So you can put on this headset and somehow mount the Track IR sensors on top of your micro display and still position yourself infront of your monitor where your TrackIR movement sensor is.

It should work right?

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

That's quite a nice explanation, Andy. By the way, it occurs to me that by wearing a HMD it's also possible to mount the TrackIR camera on the HMD while putting the reflector/LED clip on the table or desktop monitor. Whether doing so has any advantages I don't know ...

As to the 1080 resolution, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with it. I had been flying with a Dell 30 inch 2560x1600 (16:10) for couple years and last year I "upgraded" to a 50" 1920x1080 plasma. I can say with absolute confidence that I prefer the bigger screen lower resolution of plasma any time over the Dell 30" high resolution. Of course I'd like to have higher resolution on my plasma too, but 1080p is definitely good enough for now.

When flying FSX I sit at an eye distance of 37"-38" away from the 50" screen. This translates into an approximately 66 degree diagonal FOV and I found the immersion factor is great. So if future consumer HMDs can make it to 60 degree FOV, it'll be nearly perfect. There are 120 FOV 1080p HMDs, but last time I checked the price tag is $38,000!

My dream would be having a 4k (3840x2060) HMD of 60 degree or higher FOV. Hopefully in five years we'll be there?

So you can put on this headset and somehow mount the Track IR sensors on top of your micro display and still position yourself infront of your monitor where your TrackIR movement sensor is.

It should work right?

Exactly yes. The SMD is like a pair of glasses except a lot clumsier and the TrackIR reflector that I use clips onto a baseball caps rim. I'm going to change the baseball cap to a golf visor I think, its killing me wearing a cap indoors in the hot weather at the moment, lol. You should be able to wear these SMD goggles and a cap/visor without any problems at all.

Cheers, Andy.

Yea i def hate wearing a hat when I wanna use my track IR.

I remember when my Track IR arrived in the mail long ago and opening the box to discover this

flimsy 3 prong reflector and thinking ##### is this a joke, I could have made this in arts in crafts in elementary school.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2