Sign in to follow this  
SteveFx

DX10 Flashing Runways - Experimental Shader

From Stevejp's ReadMe, Blue..

Uninstalling

===========

You would need to copy the General10.fx.ORIG to General10.fx and rebuild the shaders.

Also - I have a full copy of the default (SP2) FSX\ShadersHLSL folder posted elsewhere in the forum, in the DropBox which anyone can access.

I will also post the original file - General10.fx.ORIG - if you like, just in case it's needed!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Paul,

Sorry I should have been clearer, I want to keep Steve's fixes and carry on using DX10, but revert the rest of the old DX9 tweaks back to stock. My graphics drivers went completely haywire the other day, I thought my laptop was totaled. I think all the tweaks had confused it. I was thinking I would have to buy a new rig! luckily I managed to get it back by installing an old driver then reinstalling the latest one. Sometimes I just want to start from fresh!

Aaah... OK, Blue, in that case, just save the fsx.cfg you have now, (just in case.....), and then delete the original - FSX will re-create a new one next time it starts: Go to the "How-To" thread in this forum; there's a doc which tells you completely - A-Z - how to do just what you're asking. :smile:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks I will try original and modified and see which works best for me!

Phew it has been a steep learning curve for me this week.

It makes flying a full flight plan in the 737ngx or landing the VRS F18 on the aircraft carrier or starting the Dodosim without burning the engine seem like a piece of cake! A good job FSX has so many worthwhile experiences to enjoy!

HI

ONE Word

Thank's SteveJP DX10 V3.0.0 work fine and all ORBX OZX ...RexE ....and application to FSX

i dedicate you this screen for

fsx_2030.jpg

GRACIAS

Patrick

Re-running REX and set it DX10 Optimize option will give you the color you need for water.

BTW, I wanted to try V3, however i have these files instead of General10.fx:

General10.fx_0x0a40000009000001_0x0f...

It goes on like this

You're looking in the wrong folder, Alvarez - that's what is in the C:\Users\Alvarez\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10 folder. This is the cache folder. You can delete that at any time, and FSX will rebuild it.

When you make a change in the main folder - E:\Flight Simulator X\ShadersHLSL\ etc., - which is what Steve's modification does - his script deletes the one in the user folder so it can be rebuilt on the next startup. This had to be done with Bojote's Shader3.0 mod, too.

Nice shot Patrick! :smile:

FAIL. :lol:

Ok, i found the correct one which is inside of Flight Simulator X.. I backed up my General10.fx before applying first one (not the one which was file on avsim, values were on the thread) And still it says 'non-original'

I also asked my friend to test it on his setup, he also has white runway on ORBX (I dont know if this was mentioned before)

Also there are white buildings on night/ORBX, if only we have same texture with daylight and same texture with runway, it would be perfect :(

And still it says 'non-original'

OK - No problemo. Go dig up my "ShadersHLSL" original folder, Alvarez, it's published here in the original thread - about halfway down - # 337. Download it, and unzip it into a temporary folder - doesn't matter where. Copy yours to "somewhere safe", then delete the original and put mine in it's place - then go to that first cache folder and delete both Shaders and Shaders10 folders. Then restart the sim. :wink2:

[/font][/color]

OK - No problemo. Go dig up my "ShadersHLSL" original folder, Alvarez, it's published here in the original thread - about halfway down - # 337. Download it, and unzip it into a temporary folder - doesn't matter where. Copy yours to "somewhere safe", then delete the original and put mine in it's place - then go to that first cache folder and delete both Shaders and Shaders10 folders. Then restart the sim. :wink2:

Done, it asked ''Do you want to erase shaders10 etc.'' And i said yes first, but it couldnt find them because i already deleted the cache, then started FSX and re-applied shader tweak, this time it deleted and i started 2nd time.

However like i said above, in dusk, dawn and night, runways are white in orbx sceneries, are you flying on orbx scenery ? Do you have the same problem ?

All ORBX PNW, NRM, CRM, plus most of the airports/airfields, Alvarez.

I will try as you mention, but I rarely fly in the evening or night.

Back later today, as I'm in the middle of deciding to rebuild FSX or not. I do have an issue, but I think it was caused by FSWC, but I can't make it properly revert back to "how it was". I have large, slightly lighter-colored squares in the water off the coastline around the Skagit/Annacortes area.

I also reloaded REX Essentials, configured to optimize for DX10 - and it did make the water darker, but with REX's waves, and they are not as good as the default DX10. My water is now darker, but I don't know how it got that way.

Maybe someone else can do a quicker test for you. If not - I'll certainly give it a "look-see" later today, OK?

Cheers,

Any idea why I get this strange magenta box at Flytampa TNCM using DX10? (not that it is caused by this mod - I had it before and after but I hoped the mod would fix it). It sits at the end of the runway and you end up flying through it.

Occurs in windowed and full screen.

In the FlyTampa site, you'll find a patch to solve this :)

Gerardo Cabezón

How does DX10 work with night textures and how does it differ from DX9? I have Aerosoft EDDM and there seem to be no DX10 night textures - it is just a case of running the DX9 textures through a converter, or is there more to it than that?

I saw this thread and was amazed to see that so much work had been going on to try to get DX10 working properly on FSX.

I have not tried DX10 for a long time due to the flashing runway issue and thought I should give your modified shader a try.

My system is based on an I7 2600 with 6 GB of RAM and a Nvidia 560Ti graphics card. The operating system is Window 7 (64 bit) and I am using the latest Nvidia drivers. I use two monitors with 1680 x 1050 resolution. I use the second monitor for Plan G.

I am using UTX, GEX and REX (OD) (not REX ESS yet). I have optimised the settings over a period of time trying out various suggestions and currently get a good performance generally well above 30 FPS with no stutters, dropping to around 15 to 25 FPS with complex airports like of Aerosoft London City Extreme.

Evaluation

I first compared DX9 to the unmodified DX10 with various airports and aircraft and noted the differences in the visual presentation and frame rates.

I noticed little difference in frame rates generally but at complex airports like Aerosoft London City and UK2000 Birmingham Extreme the frame rates dropped noticeably with DX10 and there were stutters.

I could see the benefits of DX10 in the lighting and surface reflections but I got noticeable tearing when panning and got runway flickering at several locations. I also noticed the shadow under the aircraft flickered a lot.

I installed the updated shader and observed the following:

The flickering runway textures were fixed.

The tearing when panning was fixed.

The flickering shadow was better but still showed abrupt shade changes when panning and often changing shade a second or so after panning was stopped.

The frame rates dropped significantly at complex airports down to 9 to 12 FPS with considerable stuttering.

The complex airports in particular seemed to have flickering almost sparkling effects in the textures.

The AA looked a lot poorer than with DX9.

The start up animation of one of the aircraft briefly showed a black square box for the propeller.

I tried various settings with locked and unlocked maximum frame rates and various settings for the AA using the Nvidia control panel but never managed to get the AA as good DX9 and often suffered a significant drop in frame rate.

I have gone back to DX9 for the moment but am still very keen to use DX10. I will continue to follow this thread with great interest.

Keep up the brilliant work

Regards

Kelvin

Update

Following some of the suggestions I have now got much improved frame rates and very smooth stutter free operation. I just have 2 remaining issues now

I still get a brief appearance of the black square replacing the propellor on the start up animation.

With Aerosofts VFR London X I still get flickering trees and other objects such as teh support pylons and railings around the O2 arena.

Any ideas?

I am now going to use DX10 as default. I can easily live with the start up issue but would really like to sort out the flickering trees and other objects at London City.

Regards

Kelvin

You might try"ModelConverterX", by Arno, over at the FSDeveloper network, Kelvin:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91

A couple of folks, me included have been bashing away at making the old FS9 scenery "FlightZone02 Portland" - specifically KPDX - so that it will display properly within FSX (DX9). I have to say - I am happy as a SandFly that my not so great efforts have turned out so well, and that it works in DX10, too - but with a few blue buildings: there again, I didn't try running it when using AddonConverter, and that little proggy may fix that too.

Glad it's working! Well done.