Sign in to follow this  
SteveFx

DX10 Flashing Runways - Experimental Shader

Well from high's to lows. I just got DX10 working nicely and all of a sudden the next day I started FSX and get an fatal error on start up. Initially I was getting the "FSX process not found. FSX handle: 0" which I know is related to EzDok. Over the past few days all I have changed is adding DX10 Shader Fixes V3.0.0 and updating FSDreamteams Coatl as prompted by FSX. In trying to chase this down I have done the following (any deletions with backup of original):

- deleted the CFG

- deleted the EXE.xml

- deleted the dll.xml

- Run the Simconnect.msi

- Run the Flight1 FSX registry

- Deleted and reinstalled Ezdok

- Reinstalled general installer from FSDT

The only thing that has changed is now is just getting "A fatal error has occurred...." a few seconds after the main free flight screen comes up.

Any ideas? Could it be V3.0 shaders? If not I don't want to hijack this thread so will move this to the main FSX forum.

thanks

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Haha! Tomorrow, Mark!

pj

Not far from CYYZ, too.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I just tried to instal v3.0 (after having installed 2.1 earlier) and it says my general10.fx is non-original and says I have to install manually. I tried replacing it with general10.fx.orig and it still didn't fix it.

Any ideas?

edit - I did install your SP2 general folder, and it still didn't work. I found the v3.0 General folder earlier in the thread, and just dropped that in instead of using the installer.

The answer to the specific question is no! V3 adds changes to the virtual cockpit shading - i intend to write a README first post which explains the current status etc and ask to have it pinned.

Now in terms of water, I too see that DX10 water appears much lighter than DX9. If you download and compare the FSWCLite package and try their modified DX10 water40.fx shader its darker and greener but has a shimmer that I don't like. What do you think of it? Can you post a comparitive screen shot in the same location?

Also, here is a similar shot with the FSWC+ DX10 shader. It still seems too "tropical" for me.

2012-8-30_21-56-7-762.jpg

@Mark W

All any of the shader10.fx fixes do is edit the general10.fx shader file and recompile it. The shader runs in the GPU not the CPU so there is no way in my view that it can cause your error.

However have you tried setting FSX back to DX9? It is not impossible that there is an interaction between the Aces DX10 C++ code path and something else you have installed.

@Dirk

I increased the font size of my signature link to make it clearer where to find the patches until I create a pinned thread. Hope it doesn't annoy people too much in the mean time!

Also, here is a similar shot with the FSWC+ DX10 shader. It still seems too "tropical" for me.

To me, it seems the water is to reflective and you see the sky's color reflected. Maybe you should test this again with some darker sky.

Well from high's to lows. I just got DX10 working nicely and all of a sudden the next day I started FSX and get an fatal error on start up. Initially I was getting the "FSX process not found. FSX handle: 0" which I know is related to EzDok. Over the past few days all I have changed is adding DX10 Shader Fixes V3.0.0 and updating FSDreamteams Coatl as prompted by FSX. In trying to chase this down I have done the following (any deletions with backup of original):

- deleted the CFG

- deleted the EXE.xml

- deleted the dll.xml

- Run the Simconnect.msi

- Run the Flight1 FSX registry

- Deleted and reinstalled Ezdok

- Reinstalled general installer from FSDT

The only thing that has changed is now is just getting "A fatal error has occurred...." a few seconds after the main free flight screen comes up.

Any ideas? Could it be V3.0 shaders? If not I don't want to hijack this thread so will move this to the main FSX forum.

thanks

Problem Resolved !!! I carefully went through the FSX.cfg and found in the trusted software 3 or 4 instances of the FSDT Coatl inserted with different keys. I removed all but one and voila it works again.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Here is a shot over ORBX KHQM in DX9 and then DX10. There are no other addons in these shots:

DX9

2012-8-29_23-20-42-777.jpg

DX10

2012-8-29_23-23-26-262.jpg

Now obviously the DX10 water shader is magnificent, but the texture seems to be screwed up. Overall it's much lighter and a lot of the nice details seem to be missing. Or maybe the DX10 shader is just reflecting a lot more of the sky...? If it is just too much sky reflection it could be adjusted with something like FSWC+, if only they'd have ever finished it...

Does anyone else have similar issues or is this just me?

*edit - I was on vacation for a while and I see Steve's DX10 shader fixes are now at V3.0. I'm still running 2.x I think. Maybe you guys have this fixed already...?

More and more issues found every day. Plus the square runway grass at some airports. I'm certainly not sold on DX10 yet.

I don't know that the 'blue-ish' color is necessarily wrong, Bumpy.. When airborne the water generally emulates the color of the sky, and on a hazy day it's often extremely hard to differentiate between where the water stops and where the sky begins. Lotsa pilots have not survived this little problem..... I'm not sure that this is not something that couldn't be simply fixed with REX or AS2012 or FSWC, just as we would fix it in DX9. I've always found that - when going from, say High 2.x to High 1.x, etc., there's always a colour change that has to be fixed.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

"I don't know that the 'blue-ish' color is necessarily wrong, Bumpy.. When airborne the water generally emulates the color of the sky",

I don't know much abouth shaders and so on but maybe the "reflectiviness" could be decreased with some kind of transparancy mask?

Hugo

More and more issues found every day. Plus the square runway grass at some airports. I'm certainly not sold on DX10 yet.

This. Still, big thanks to Steve for all the hard work and opening a new possibility to improve ageing FSX and making DX10 mode usable!

I tested DX10 yesterday and although had great performance, few things annoyed too much. First, tearing due broken Vsync during TrackIR panning was just unbearable. Either forcing vsync through driver or fsx.cfg didn't work at all. Second, especially scenery water reflection shimmering was nasty looking though I didn't suffer from flashing when setting water to 2 med (just sky and cloud reflections is rendered). Also, I couldn't adjust water to my like: it is far too reflecting and light in my opinion. Some cockpit texts and buttons also clearly showed shimmering, but the scenery was surprisingly good looking.

As I said, performance was nice and texture loading time was hugely improved. With DX9 I sometimes get black boxes for runway light textures for a while and plane propellers and textures might take a moment to load when switching to outside view. With DX10 texture loading was instantaneous. Still, I'm not convinced that DX10 mode itself has that much better performance. After all, we are accustomed to running extremely high level AA with our DX9 configuration and AA with DX10 is far more easier to handle.

I will surely keep my eyes on where DX10 tweaking is going, as this surely shows promise. So far, I think I'm not going to take permanent plunge as it is in my opinion not in par with DX9 in IQ.

Fear Uncertainty and Doubt not, DX10 is great if you set FSX and your GPU up default, and the fix here just makes it even better.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I've just been comparing. DX10 water reflects the sky more obviously than DX9. Darker sky makes the water darker.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com