Sign in to follow this  
AirbusGuy1207

FS2004 (FS9) Error: FAILED TO READ FROM FILE (CTD)

I was flying on FS9, but suddenly it closed down and an error came up that said, "Failed to read from file". Then about 30 seconds later, a window pops up that states FS9 had a fatal error and needs to shut down. I looked at the error report and now I suspect that a file named mfc70.dll might be causing this, but I'm not sure. I don't have any scenery packages that modifies the FS9.CFG or SCENERY.CFG and I do have SquawkBox and FSUIPC installed and they're all for FS2004. I did all I could to try and troubleshoot, but no success. I flew on FSX and no error, so it may not be a hardware issue. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Normal FS2004 Operating Settings: Display: Medium High~High; Aircraft: Ultra High; Weather: Medium Low~Medium High; Hardware: High

PC Specs: Toshiba Satellite A105-S4254, (Dual) Genuine Intel CPU T2050 @1.6GHz, 0.99GB RAM, Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset, Toshiba MK3265GSX internal hard drive (Max Capacity: 298GB; 199GB of free space), Windows XP Media Center Edition with Service Pack 3, FS2004 ver.9 (No Update), and FS2004 No-CD patch for ver. 9.0

I'm thinking about replacing all the DLL's in the main folder with the ones in the FS9 CD. Maybe that would solve the problem?

You are using you state a NO CD patched version. Many of those are unstable. It is also possible a heuristic based antivirus app cut you off because of the frequency of accesses between FS in a Program Files folder and other applications and folders.

The FS9 install should have placed its dlls as needed but if you are using the illegal patch who knows the state of those dlls.

Can't discuss more 'cuz anything doing with the NO CD patch is not tolerated on this conference according to its rules.

You are using you state a NO CD patched version. Many of those are unstable. It is also possible a heuristic based antivirus app cut you off because of the frequency of accesses between FS in a Program Files folder and other applications and folders.

The FS9 install should have placed its dlls as needed but if you are using the illegal patch who knows the state of those dlls.

Can't discuss more 'cuz anything doing with the NO CD patch is not tolerated on this conference according to its rules.

Sorry, but that's BS. First off, a No-CD Patch is not illegal. Not buying the game and then using it is illegal. If you own the disk with the game, and don't want to put in the disk every time you fly, this is perfectly legal and probably done so by 90% of all FS9-users.

Second of all I doubt that this patch has anything to do with his problem, leave alone your theory that this is the cause for "altered" DLL's.

I recommend reinstalling FS9. This should fix the problem, and if it doesn't, it is your OS/Hardware.

Not having the 9.1 update may not be the cause of your present problems (or it might) ,but it will quite likely cause seasonal change texture CTDs for you. I used to get these until I installed the the update. I t also fixes and corrects many other things as well ,you should really install it. Rafal is right.

Anyway

cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

It certainly will not hurt anything, and may help, if you carefully replace your .DLLs. I echo Rafal and Andy's recommendation to apply the 9.1 update. If the problem still occurs then that will have at least narrowed the possible causes. The important tip is what file failed to be read and what process failed to read it. Please reflect on what if any recent updates may have taken place that may have had a nasty effect. Also consider that the problem could possibly be virus related.

Whatever you do, don't use any of the available download files from the internet, just the FS9 disk, as you implied you would. Good luck and keep us posted.

I was down in your territory yesterday, on US 30, ( Mohican ) love the scenery. It is way to darn flat for my liking up here in the Toledo area.

Best regards,

Mel

Some things that need clarification:

Is this happening every where? Is it seasonal (texture related)?

The next time it right after it happens go to the Win control panel and get into the administrator utilities. Drill down to the event manager and see what critical events occurred. They are ordered by most recent event first. That might point to the missing file when you click on the event to get more details.

It is known that the 9.1 patch fixes some seasonal CTDs by area that were present in 9.0.

There are also some useful troubleshooting utilities here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals or sysinternals.com

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545046 for disk utilities get filemon.exe. Start it up before you start flying. It keeps a log of your disk accesses and can get quite big so make sure you have plenty of empty hd space. After the CTD got to the filemon window and then save the log and shut it down.

It also might help to check your fs9 registry path using this free registry checker/repair utility from flight1:

http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

Regarding Speed 217's comment: He is I believe referring to the "fair use" provision of copyright law which for your own use allows you to make copies. In the lawyerese of the agreement of FS you'll find when you did the install one of the terms stating is that the software not be reverse engineered or modified nor basically defeat its copy protection. You have purchased a license to use the software under those terms and do not own it. Anyway all I am saying is you do not know the state of the NO CD patched file.

If you decide to try the 9.1 patch you most likely will need to have FS disk 4 in your install CD drive. When you install the 9.1 patch is will create a folder called backup under your FS9 folder that will hold the replaced 9.0 files that you can copy back. If that fs9\backup folder already exists by name, the 9.1 patch will not install. fs9.exe is one of the files replaced and stored with the 9.1 service pack.

To All: I have tried everything, but no luck. I recently got a more powerful laptop, with Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @ 2.4GHz and a nVidia Quadro NVS 135N (or 135M) and 3.5GB of RAM and Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 which is MORE than enough to run FS2004, so I don't think it's a OS/System Spec problem. I reinstalled and updated to FS9.1, with the appropriate FS9.1 No-CD patch, but still no luck. This crash happens on every airport, location and airplanes, ranging from freeware scenery and aircraft to FlyTampa, Aerosoft, Overland scenery, and PMDG and QualityWings aircrafts. It also happens at every season and time. This crash happens when I fly long routes; I crash about 1.5~2 hours into the flight. Hope this new info helps.

First off, a No-CD Patch is not illegal

It is illegal under the DMCA in the US, and in countries that have implemented the WIPO Copyright Treaty.

No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.

It is illegal under the DMCA in the US, and in countries that have implemented the WIPO Copyright Treaty.

Only until there are no more FS9 CDs in the stores... or MS stops pressing FS9 CDs:

Computer programs protected by dongles that prevent access due to malfunction or damage and which are obsolete. A dongle shall be considered obsolete if it is no longer manufactured or if a replacement or repair is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Problems often occur if/when you delete an a/c AI or otherwise. When the system decides it needs to load a specific a/c file that's not there then that can cause a crash. So think carefully what you did during the last perfect session.

As for the eyepatch! I doubt very much if MS could or would prosecute especially now as fs9 is unsupported and the only way theoretically of recovering disc4 is to buy another fs9. In fact I don't recall of every hearing that there have ever been prosecutions.

For the legal nerds ...

IMHO even sell FS2004 or buy it at Ebay .. etc ( second hand .. as many available ) is illegal LOL

Check FS2004 Eula

The license is property of Microsoft ... they share the license with you

You can't resell it ( or share ) .. as you are not the owner :lol:

If I buy some pet food from a well known brand, technically speaking the recipe and ingredients are the "intellectual property" of the food manufacturer. However, the cat refuses to eat it. In order to get the cat to eat it I add another ingredient. If MS were in the pet food business I would be in breach of their terms of sale. Both I and the cat would be liable for prosecution. Me for altering the product and the cat for consuming it!

I read an article with a similar problem on FSX. It states the main folder should not be read-only. I think it's a similar problem on my FS9, so I'm gonna give it a try.