Sign in to follow this  
WhiteKnuckle

Westjet NGX

Thought I'd share this which I flew from San Francisco to Calgary yesterday. I have also flown AA and UA 800's in the last week. Good to get some real world occasionally but I'm really missing the sim!

Nice! A 737-800?

I'll be flying to Vegas from CYVR next month on a WestJet 738--first time on a 737-whatever for many, many years. The Vegas trip is a holiday, but I mostly fly on business a few times a year on Air Canada (I don't have the luxury do choosing the carrier), so I usually fly on Airbuses, or locally on Harbour Air Beavers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Great photo! I was on a 737 NG for my annual vacations these past 3 years in a row.

2010 KPHL to Miami - American 737-800

2011 KSLC to KPHL - Delta 737-800

2012 KPHL to KIAH - United 737-900ER

KIAH to MHLM - United 737-800

I'd like to propose we use this thread or create a new one where we can share similar "at the gate" real life NG shots:

The WestJet plane in the original post is definitely a 737-700.

The WestJet plane in the original post is definitely a 737-700.

Yes it is the 700 - my favorite. The FTX scenery really makes it but now I'm looking for a good add-on for Vegas so I can recreate my trip when I get back down under. I'll be heading to Vancouver from here, then to LA and then home on the A380, flying business thankfully.

Yes it is the 700 - my favorite. The FTX scenery really makes it but now I'm looking for a good add-on for Vegas so I can recreate my trip when I get back down under. I'll be heading to Vancouver from here, then to LA and then home on the A380, flying business thankfully.

Well there always FsDreamteam KLAS, and there is also a freeware scenery out there of the strip, but for the life of me I can't remember the name, it was done by a group that did a lot of Japan sceneries, maby someone here will know where to get it.

I'll be heading to Vancouver from here, then to LA and then home on the A380, flying business thankfully.

Just a stop-over in Vancouver, or will you be staying here?

An A380, eh? It would be great to see an "at the gate" shot of one!

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Is it wrong that I was going to as what scenery you had until I saw the rampie? O.o

Very Nice, earlier this year we did CYYC, CYLW, (for a few days) and CYVR, before hoping on alaska to KSFO (Westjet wasn't flying directly to San Fran from Cowtown early in the year). But next year we are going to go to KSFO in the summer so we can fly direct there. Its nice considering its only a 2 hour drive to Calgary, and I got a couple of cousins that work at Westjet so I always get swag when I fly with them, lol.

Just a stop-over in Vancouver, or will you be staying here?

An A380, eh? It would be great to see an "at the gate" shot of one!

I'm planning just one night in Vancouver but I may have some more work there so maybe I'll stay longer. I'll try and get a photo of the A380 at the gate although it's a late evening departure so will be dark. They are a very smooth ride and so quiet...nice.

Very Nice, earlier this year we did CYYC, CYLW, (for a few days) and CYVR, before hoping on alaska to KSFO (Westjet wasn't flying directly to San Fran from Cowtown early in the year). But next year we are going to go to KSFO in the summer so we can fly direct there. Its nice considering its only a 2 hour drive to Calgary, and I got a couple of cousins that work at Westjet so I always get swag when I fly with them, lol.

Hey Dwayne. Hopefully the dash8 will be flying into where you live so you won't have to make that drive!

JackC

Ill be going from CYVR-CYYC-CYXE next week to see family by WestJet (as usual)! I love WestJet.

Hey Dwayne. Hopefully the dash8 will be flying into where you live so you won't have to make that drive!

JackC

Yup, they sure are, they have been mentioning since this idea has come up that CYQL will be one of the launch cities. They even toyed with the idea of full 737 service when westjet started (and In the early days westjet did do a few touch and go sessions here, and still serves as a CYYC Alternate), but I don't think there was quite enough demand to fill a 737 a couple times a day. But Air Canada have been running Dash-8s for years here and have a little monopoly here, so I thats why I can't wait for WJ to come, because then there will be competition and the price will go down (in theory)

Yup, they sure are, they have been mentioning since this idea has come up that CYQL will be one of the launch cities. They even toyed with the idea of full 737 service when westjet started (and In the early days westjet did do a few touch and go sessions here, and still serves as a CYYC Alternate), but I don't think there was quite enough demand to fill a 737 a couple times a day. But Air Canada have been running Dash-8s for years here and have a little monopoly here, so I thats why I can't wait for WJ to come, because then there will be competition and the price will go down (in theory)

I had some experience with an operation that tried to get into the sked gig in YQL a good 6-7 years ago. We operated the smaller -8's, and still found the load factors discouraging. Despite some good support from the municipality people still just did not bother to jump on. The savings in just flying out of YYC was too tempting. It is a perfect market though for a 19-seat aircraft though, as Georgain/Air Canada do today. 13-19 seats was the usual load in our case.

AC's predatory pricing basically shoved us out of the market too, as we didn't have the pockets deep enough to constistently lose money on routes, nor was our network strong enough to subsidise poor performing routes with better ones. Of course West-Prop or whatever will have both ;). But if West-prop expects to see the same factors, costs-per-seat-mile, and margin's they are getting with their 37 operation then they arn't gonna be happy. Things will be tight for sure.