Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Ray Smith AFCAD appreciation

I just went through a big format/reinstall a few weeks ago (added SSDs) and I just now got around to installing AFCADs for all the major airports. I just wanted to point out and commend the amount of time and work Ray Smith has put into providing good AFCADs for free here. I installed well over 150 of his files that cover a ton of the world's major airports. That is a heck of a lot of work!

Good call. I too collect these and it is a service to us all.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Where's the best place to download these? Are they just US Airports?

Where's the best place to download these? Are they just US Airports?

They are worldwide.

Avsim library search lets you search category only FSX AFCAD.

If you search that for Ray Smith.

Then when you've got all Rays files, search for Menno C. Robert - also excellent AFCADs and they often work together Ray has passed him some of his stuff.

Also "Smith Graphics" and Dakota Smith. There are some big packages there with lots of airports.

Be careful not to have more than one AFCAD per airport - if you have a pay ware airport scenery dont put an AFCAD. Use the windows search bar on addon scenery folder to check if that airport code is already installed.

Guys (and gals):

This seems like a good place to start with those of you with much more experience with adding AFCAD airports, including Ray's.  I cannot seem to get his or other's to load - followed the directions with the dl to a "T" many tries and I have spent hours reading multiple posts concerning issues with addons and can't seem to figure out the problem.

I have FSX installed on another drive than C: and am wondering if this could be causing some of my issues.  Also, when I place the appropriate *.bgl files into addon scenery/scenery and then open FSX, go to settings and open the Scenery Library/scenery it doesn't show anything there (probably why I don't see the added airport).  Path is:  G:\Flight Simulations\fsx.exe

Any suggestions are much appreciated.  Gary :mellow:

I have several of Ray's airports and appreciate his work very much!

Also, when I place the appropriate *.bgl files into addon scenery/scenery and then open FSX, go to settings and open the Scenery Library/scenery it doesn't show anything there (probably why I don't see the added airport). Path is: G:\Flight Simulations\fsx.exe

You shouldn't see his files when using the install scenery function if they are in the correct folders, Addon Scenery/scenery and Scenery/Global/Scenery.   Unlike scenery stored in a subfolder of Addon Scenery that is specific to that scenery (e.g Addon Scenery/KLAX) you don't need to specifically install files in Addon Scenery/scenery.  You just need to restart FSX.

Mike

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Mike, thanks for the reply.  I have made all placements of the AFCAD files outside of FSX and without it running.  Then started FSX, went to free flight, loaded the particular airport and no difference.  Sliders are set to max.  Incidentally, I've tried this with several airports, large (KCLT) and small (KROA) without success.  Also, I've used WOAI for airplanes and noticed that there are very few @ KCLT for instance at all times of the day - that airport has many airlines in there particularly U.S. Air and AirTran.  Could there be a connection.

If you need to know my "settings" I'll be glad to send.  Thanks again.

Gary

Mike, thanks for the reply. I have made all placements of the AFCAD files outside of FSX and without it running. Then started FSX, went to free flight, loaded the particular airport and no difference. Sliders are set to max. Incidentally, I've tried this with several airports, large (KCLT) and small (KROA) without success. Also, I've used WOAI for airplanes and noticed that there are very few @ KCLT for instance at all times of the day - that airport has many airlines in there particularly U.S. Air and AirTran. Could there be a connection.

Hi, Gary,

First, yes there probably is a reason why very few AI aircraft are showing up: default airports have very few gates.

Now, let me go over a few things. Typically Ray's packages come with two airport files.  You  pick one of them - either with or without crossing runways -- and place it in FSX/Addon Scenery/Scenery.  If you install BOTH runway files that could cause a problem.  His packages also come with another file that goes in FSX/Scenery/Global/Scenery .  I'm a little puzzled when you say the files were installed "outside of FSX".  They should be installed inside of FSX as per his instructions (they may vary from what I said, depending upon the particular airport package, but usually in the FSX folders as above).    Also, after the install, when you start up FSX, you should see messages about installing new scenery and a horizontal timer bar running for a moment.   Another thing to check is to make sure you don't have any other AFCADs or other scenery installed for the same airport.

If you want you can post screen shots of the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder and the Scenery/Global/Scenery folder.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Mike:

I guess what I said about "outside of FSX" was confusing.  As I understand it one can install an AFCAD "on the fly" while the program is running and from a drop down menu - never tried that.  I always go into the FSX files while the program is NOT running (outside of FSX) place only one file, crossing runways, in FSX/addon scenery/scenery folder and one other file that is supposed to go in the Global/scenery folder as per instructions.  I have never installed two different *.bgl from the same airport into the FSX/addon scenery/scenery folder - there is even a warning about that in the readme files.

When FSX loads it always shows the horizontal bar loading and updating sceneries.

I will send the screen shots to you also.  Thanks.

Gary :rolleyes:

I sent Ray a message of thanks a couple of years ago.  His work is definitely much appreciated!  And he does check this forum occasionally.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Ray deserves a 'Thank you !!!' for all  this great work.

Sam. 

Waiting for the 64-bit PSION Flightsim for ZX-Spectrum ////

. I have never installed two different *.bgl from the same airport into the FSX/addon scenery/scenery folder - there is even a warning about that in the readme files.

Sounds like you are doing most everything correctly.  I downloaded Ray Smith's KCLT package, and it turns out that there should be TWO files in the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder, one of the two runway folders plus a file called KCLT_CVX.BGL.  (And of course another file in Scenery/Global/Scenery.)  I think this is his usual practice.

I have lots of US Airways AI installed and much of it was showing up even with the default installation.  Does KCLT look different than the default?  If it does, I am wondering if the problem isn't with the AI setup.  Do you see US Airways and Airtran AI at other airports?  Usually WOAI packages work well, so I'm a bit puzzled.  I flew RW US Airways from KEWR to KCLT last April, so there should be some US Airways AI at KEWR.  Not sure where their other hubs are.  I think Airtran flies a lot to KATL. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Mike:

This error message is coming up when FSX launches.

"Scenery.cfg file error.  Invalid Remote scenery path in scenery Area.115".

I opened up Scenery.cfg with a viewer and I wouldn't have enough experience to know if that entry is correct or not.  So, thinking that I have a corrupt Scenery.config file I tried to change the name to Sceneryold.cfg thinking that FSX on load would rebuild a new Scenery.cfg file - FSX would not launch.  Went back and put the proper name in, Scenery.cfg, and launched FSX.

In Settings\Scenery Library and with "addon scenery" checked, when I press "o.k" at the bottom the same error message box comes up that I get on FSX launch (the above error message).  When I press "o.k." in that error box it says that it is "building a new database for scenery files".

If I uncheck "addon scenery" in the Scenery Library and close out I don't get the error message.  Also, when I exit FSX after this and relaunch, no error message.  I'm thinking that maybe the "addon scenery folder" is somehow corrupted.  Could there be something in that addon folder that is hidden causing the problems and messing up the scenery.cfg file also.

I hope that I've made the above somewhat clear.  Any ideas.  Thanks again.

Gary

First files I search when looking for an AFCAD. My thanks too Ray.

Regards Matt Williams

Matt Williams

"Scenery.cfg file error. Invalid Remote scenery path in scenery Area.115".

Take a look in the scenery.cfg file and see which scenery is "Area.115."  Depending upon what it is, you can try deactivating (unchecking) that scenery using the normal FSX scenery library menu.  But first make a backup of the scenery.cfg file just to be on the safe side.

On my system it is the Addon Scenery folder.  What path is showing for scenery area 115 (whatever scenery it is)?

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2