Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Air1

Rudder pedals question

I am looking at the Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder pedals or the Saitek Cessna Pro Flight pedals. Any input or recommemdation would be greatly appreciated. I had CH analog pedals years ago but on course they will no longer work and did not have toe brakes anyway. Yes, I will also be getting TrackIr5, Amazon has a good deal on both. Thanks.

I have the Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals. They seem to work pretty good, and are a pretty sturdy construction. Adjustable. I have no complaints. I don't have any input to offer on the 2 Pedals you mentioned.

I have the Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals. They seem to work pretty good, and are a pretty sturdy construction. Adjustable. I have no complaints. I don't have any input to offer on the 2 Pedals you mentioned.

Seconded on the Saitek Pro Flights. Solid pedals.

Keep in mind if you don't have these placed on a thick rug they will slide around easy. I screwed my right to the floor. Velcro etc just won't cut it. It will be like this with any pedals.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

I seem to recall that someone enquired with Saitek and was told that the combat and Cessna pedals are identical under the skin, it's only looks that distinguish them from one another, so pick the ones you like the look of or the cheapest!

They are supposed to be an improvement on the standard ProFlight pedals though, more metal I believe, and a stronger self centring action, which is something I would find useful with my ProFlights.

I have the Combat pedals. I love them. But they are my first pedals so I can't really compare. The Combat version, as well as the Cessna version, allows you to keep your feet on the ground, which I like a lot. The various reviews I read also said this is an advantage over the older (and cheaper) pedals, where you have to put your entire foot on the pedal.

Anyway, I bought the Combat version because it was slightly cheaper but also available directly. The Cessna's had to be ordered from abroad. But I also liked the shape of the Combat rudders more: the spot where you have to put the front of your foot on is rounded in the Combat version while the Cessna one has more of an angle.... I don't really know how to say that right in English. :wink: I just like the Combat version more for that, they seem more comfortable (also because I don't wear shoes when flying).

As jeff1155 said, I also read they are the same on the inside.

I would have to echo Jeroen's sentiment on the Combat pedals, I have had mine for around 6 weeks or so now, and really like them. I replaced a much older set of TM Elite pedals, so it was a nice step up for me.

I was leaning toward the combat pedals anyway. I will get them on order asap, thanks everyone for the input. But now I will have to move this guy.

Lol, he can probably operate your pedals for you!

On a sidenote, couple of things to be aware of when you get your new pedals hooked up:

1: Check the control assignments Flight assigns by default after getting the new pedals hooked up, mine defaulted to assigning some things to the pedals that should not be, so I had to clear them. Not sure why my install of Flight did that, maybe yours will not.

2: When you assign the toe brake axis to your pedal toe brakes, be sure and check the " invert axis" button when you assign them, for both the left and right toe brakes. Otherwise, you will start with the brakes on rather than off...

Enjoy!

One thing to consider is that looking at that pic, if that is your computer desk where you fly, you might run into problems with your knees hitting the underside of the desk when you have rudder pedals, and you might also find that you are unable to get them far enough back since your desk also has a rear panel. The Saitek pedals are good (could perhaps be a little bit more robust, but are generally okay), but they are pretty big and so you do need a fair bit of room under your desk in order to use them without hassle.

Al

One thing to consider is that looking at that pic, if that is your computer desk where you fly, you might run into problems with your knees hitting the underside of the desk when you have rudder pedals, and you might also find that you are unable to get them far enough back since your desk also has a rear panel. The Saitek pedals are good (could perhaps be a little bit more robust, but are generally okay), but they are pretty big and so you do need a fair bit of room under your desk in order to use them without hassle.

I have a similar looking desk, though the cubby is a little wider. Possibly a bit deeper, too. But I still have room back behind the pedals using this method...

I pull the keyboard drawer all the way out and set my stick and throttle on it. This sits me far enough back from the desk that I can comfortably set my feet on the pedals without banging into anything. It also brings the stick and throttle into a more natural, more comfortable, lower position than if I had them up on the desk itself. The keyboard itself moves up to the desk surface, so I still have easy access to it. The mouse goes between the stick and throttle so I can grab it with both hands, and my folded chart sits on top of the keyboard, which props it up for good viewing, or moves over to the mouse pad to the right of the stick when I need the keyboard.

Mine is very similar as well, except I have a subwoofer sitting in the rear of the cubby hole.

No problems operating the pedals though. I do have two slide out flat panels, one on right and one on left of my desk, that my stick and throttle sit on , so I am positioned a little further back.

After reading this thread, I decided to look for my Ch Pedals, and found them in a closet. Just hooked them up and going to try them on the Stearman.

Edit 2 hours later:

Just landed the Stearman from a 200 mile flight, with my old CH Rudder Pedals. They worked great with flight, in fact, I disabled the joystick twist rudder input during the flight. I do have to smooth out my taxiing with the pedals, a bit rusty. :wink: