Sign in to follow this  

How to create flightplans in Plan-G and use them in GMap

The sticky that points to your tutorial on the MS Flight Forum is pointing to an older version that doesnt show the link to the database fro plan-g etc

this is the link from the sticky http://forum.avsim.n...e-them-in-gmap/

and this is the current thread http://forum.avsim.n...e-them-in-gmap/

Aaaaah, ok. Hm, that sticky doesn't point to my tutorial but to the tutorial section... :wink: but I see that GMap tutorial there was indeed an older version. I replaced it with the latest version. Forgot that tutorial was posted there too so thanks for the heads up! :wink:

Oh, and for anyone not following the "database update thread"...

Revision 2 of the Plan G database for Flight is now available for download here.

As before, copy it into your Plan-G/Data folder, after making a backup copy of your existing FSX database.

I dont know if there's currently a lot of traffic but when I try to download this file it's going to take 4hrs, yet I have a 100MB broadband line ... traffic across other areas of the net seems fine. - I'll try again later

I dont know if there's currently a lot of traffic but when I try to download this file it's going to take 4hrs, yet I have a 100MB broadband line ... traffic across other areas of the net seems fine. - I'll try again later

It's on MS Skydrive, so I doubt it's a bandwidth limitation on their end. I'll test it myself...

EDIT: I signed out of Skydrive to make sure I was getting the same "public" transfer rate you should be getting and downloaded the database in about 2 minutes at 1.3MB/sec.

If you are still having trouble getting the download, try grabbing it from my Dropbox.

It's on MS Skydrive, so I doubt it's a bandwidth limitation on their end. I'll test it myself...

EDIT: I signed out of Skydrive to make sure I was getting the same "public" transfer rate you should be getting and downloaded the database in about 2 minutes at 1.3MB/sec.

If you are still having trouble getting the download, try grabbing it from my Dropbox.

Thanks took only 8 mins from the dropbox, must be skydrive connection. ..usually get skydrive files at full throttle, but hey it's all good...thanks

Er, this all seems to be getting a bit complicated. I have tried to keep up but now I am starting to lose the plot. We used to say KISS (keep it simple stupid) but unfortunately Flight has been released minus some very simple stupid basic requirements for flight simulation i.e. a flight planner and GPS. OK, shut up, get on with it.

J van E, You might want to update the link under the MS Flight Tutorials that points to this as it doesnt include the updated links to gmap and the Plan-G database file.

The problem with providing Links in a Tutorial is simply that if the Link points to a constantly changing target, it makes the Link rather useless... :unsure:

I wasn't aware that J van E had mod access to the Tutorial section of the website, as it's separate from the normal forum mod permissions... ^_^

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The problem with providing Links in a Tutorial is simply that if the Link points to a constantly changing target, it makes the Link rather useless... :unsure:

I wasn't aware that J van E had mod access to the Tutorial section of the website, as it's separate from the normal forum mod permissions... ^_^

The suggestion was for it to be changed so that it is pointing to the current version, whom and how that's done is not of concern so much. Being somewhat new to this forum, I do not know who moderates it, I assumed that J van E being the OP would have some control over his tutorial (or at least know who did).

Being somewhat new to this forum, I do not know who moderates it, I assumed that J van E being the OP would have some control over his tutorial (or at least know who did).

That would be me, as indicated in my signature block. Anyone can submit a Tutorial at any time. It is my job to review the submission for fit and purpose, make any minor corrections in spelling, grammer, and punctuation, then Approve it. Unfortunately, once Approved it is not "editable" by the original author, so any changes would have to be made by me on request, or...

...the original poster can submit a new version, which I can then substitute for the original one. It's a bit of a kludge, but it's really the only way to prevent anyone from "defacing" tutorial articles. B)

I was not aware that Tom A. had given any of the forum moderators access to the Tutorial database, which is what prompted my first reply. :lol:

Fr. Bill    

I was not aware that Tom A. had given any of the forum moderators access to the Tutorial database, which is what prompted my first reply. :lol:

Ah, LOL, well, I wasn't aware of that either. I simply thought that AVSIM changed some preset so that everyone who posted a tutorial had editing possibilities for that specific tutorial... I thought it was a rather nice idea. :wink: But yes, it could well be I have been able to edit the tutorials since I am a mod! Since I am ONLY a mod in this subforum (I checked that :wink: ), I never looked at my tutorial editing possibilities as a mod privilege... :wink: I will submit a new version the next time the official way!

EDIT

Ah, I just checked and it seems I can only edit my OWN tutorials... Perhaps that IS a mod privilege? I can't touch other tutorials so no need for fear there... But let's use the great PM system for this from here on.

No problem from me! I'm delighted that you can take care of your own mess, er... tutorials! ^_^

Fr. Bill    

No problem from me! I'm delighted that you can take care of your own mess, er... tutorials! ^_^

LOL

Hi...  The resolution on your maps are outstanding but I don't seem to have that capability in my copy of Plan G.  Can you tell me how you got the maps to such a high resolution. 

Thanks

Hi...  The resolution on your maps are outstanding but I don't seem to have that capability in my copy of Plan G.  Can you tell me how you got the maps to such a high resolution. 

Thanks

Wow, it's been quite some time since I've been here! ^_^ The version of Plan-G I was using (and which I still use) is version 2. I suppose you have version 3: it uses other maps due to various reasons. I never liked the maps in version 3 so I stuck with version 2 for that reason only. Don't know if you can still download that older version though...

The maps shown here are from an older version of Plan G, when Google Maps was used for the map data.  I believe they switched to Open StreetMap for map data last year, for newer versions of Plan G, resulting in the loss of terrain relief.  A number of Plan G users stuck with the old version, as they (or, we) felt the improved features of the newer versions didn't make up for the loss of map information.

You may still be able to get Version 2.0 here:  http://plan-g.software.informer.com/2.0/.  They seem to have links to both the current version and the old version.

If not, Google around and you may turn it up somewhere.