Sign in to follow this  
serviceceiling

Flying the head up dispay (HGS) for the first tme

Well, I mostly flew the NGX around Germany, Ukraine and all around Europe without using the HGS, since no european airline ordered it for their aircraft, I though I'd give it I try after hearing Rober saying how much work went into this particular system of the NGX.

Well, I'm not going to talk much, I let the pictures speak for themself...

Yup, this is a PMDG 737-600NGX on the USS Nimitz

2d7jnl.jpg

Some details: 1,5 tons of fuel, no pax, no payload, short field package installed, no engine derate, carbon brakes, HGS installed.

The takeoff was not the problem, an usual short field takeoff with flaps 15.

Here we go... :P

6x9joc.jpg

You got to have some balls for stuff like that, approach at mca. (98-100kts), full flaps, no autobrake. I applied full braking just before touching down and as soon as the main gear hit the ground, I kicked in the reversers and to my surprise came to a stop, just like an F18, except that I had no tailhook! :LMAO:

17njmf.jpg

Just at that point. Note the 25kts ground speed, that's due to the fact that the carrier was moving with 25kts.

34kjpd.jpg

5v3khq.jpg

67eykbt.jpg

46dka1.jpg

If you are looking for a real challenge, try it. But do not cheat with a 40+ kts headwind, I used absolutely no headwinds, just the carrier movement. :wink:

Go and try this at home! B)

Before trying any of these approaches, I recommend a double shot of whiskey

Before trying any of these approaches, I recommend a double shot of whiskey

Make it a tripple....

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

Brilliant shots! I think there may well be a C-2 replacement in the future afterall...

When I am setup for an ILS landing, I have a question about the AIII mode on the HGS.

I will be hand flying the approach, but will have all the ILS dialed in to see where to go on the HGS. A few times through the approach the HSG will switch from guiding me where to go and switch to "NO AIII". When it does this, I have no idea where to go....

What causes this?

Thanks!

<--------------->
Mike Murawski

gr8 shots btw...the 73 on the carrier looks like a parade :)

Charan Kumar
FSX/XPX vPilot
VATSIM ZOA and Oceanic Controller (Pacific)

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has - Margaret Mead