Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Now THIS is night lighting...

Xplane10 with HDR looks pretty awesome at night and has the best Car Traffic and Roads I have ever seen BUT i still prefer my fs9/fsx setups. I have a feeling(call it Women's Intuition :lol: ) That Microsoft's next FlightSim Project will be FSX11 with all our simming wishes coming true, too many complaints on most of the MS FLIGHT sites.

I think I saw that movie before..... popcorn.gif..présenté a Montréal si je me souviens bien...lol.

@ Srdan, I know FSX will never achieve that, that's why I said a new engine with DX11. FSX is by today's standard a very old engine.

As FlashisMayia said, XP-10 as potential, let see in a year or two after they make it a 64-bit sim as I am not into buying a product to be a beta tester.

Many have tried, all have failed.

The closest I've come to getting decent looking FSX night lighting is running Ultimate Terrain X with their night lighting turned on in DX10 mode and with bloom enabled (which doesn't impact frames in DX10).

Sadly there are too many issues for me in DX10 to effectively use that mode, so I stick with DX9 and my less then spectacular UTX lighting.

*edit*

Yeah, even in DX10 with UTX lighting, it doesn't even come close to that XPlane vid posted above

Microsoft's next FlightSim Project will be FSX11 with all our simming wishes coming true, too many complaints on most of the MS FLIGHT sites.

I'll believe that when I see it! MS has burned flight simmers time and time again. They care for profits more, not customer satisfaction.

The X-Plane night lighting looks pretty good indeed. Thanks for posting that video. X-Plane is becoming more and more interesting.

Me is voting for the night lighting of XP, the framerates of Flight, the Open Source structure of Flight Gear and the addon support of FSX with a system like F1 runs, 30 day money back policy. Anyone with me?

Ok, I admit it, in the meantime I mainly fly FSX. Same as you guys! :P

Anyone with me?

Darn, now I gotta admit!

And me... hey, Xplane is looking so cool. I said on another thread that I thought, from what I've seen and read, that Xplane will come into it's own in about 18 months. Maybe by then it will have had enough time to bring on the naysayers and by doing so will start to turn the heads of 3rd party devs. 18 months? maybe, maybe not. However, the biggest issue for me are IMO those awful clouds and not having the NGX or Orbx quality scenery, but that's only at the moment. But I have to admit, XP10 certainly seems to blow the socks off FSX for nightlighting.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

X-plane does miss a lot of things from FSX. But at the moment, it 's the only hope for a new engine, and future core development. For me, as much as I love FSX, I cannot stand the 1024 scenery texture resolution and the constant research for frame improvement. We need someone who will give flight simulation its place among the DX11 games of the time. And microsoft has become a joke. Who will that be? X-plane has a long way to go, but it is the one we are left with. I hope they will realize their responsibility, and bring their simulator to the standards that the community has set, not their competition with MS.

X-plane does miss a lot of things from FSX. But at the moment, it 's the only hope for a new engine, and future core development. For me, as much as I love FSX, I cannot stand the 1024 scenery texture resolution and the constant research for frame improvement. We need someone who will give flight simulation its place among the DX11 games of the time. And microsoft has become a joke. Who will that be? X-plane has a long way to go, but it is the one we are left with. I hope they will realize their responsibility, and bring their simulator to the standards that the community has set, not their competition with MS.

I hope so too but I'm not holding my breath. The developers of X-Plane have shown a penchant for only doing what they deem important to them. The very limited AI system, no landmarks, "plausible world" instead of realistic land class, no airport buildings, buggy flight models, no seasons, ugly green hues in the daytime, black water with no classes, bad ATC, etc. are all problems I think they could of fixed in time. Instead many of these issues may never be fixed because they see nothing wrong with them. The plausible world stuff and the AI system being the biggest design decisions they stand by.

X-Plane could of completely replaced FSX as the top sim platform if they'd went more in a direction of cloning FSX's good parts with improvements and adding new features on top of that with an ever improving engine. Instead they seem hell bent on paving their own path and it limits their fanbase. It may make them more original, but I don't think it's the best move.

The night lighting is certainly incredible. The lighting engine in general is great. Sloped runways, 3d clouds, cloud shadows, weather engine, etc. are all vast improvements over FSX or are completely new features.

It's what's missing that FSX has that they don't seem very apt to add that holds back most from switching.

I hope so too but I'm not holding my breath. The developers of X-Plane have shown a penchant for only doing what they deem important to them. The very limited AI system, no landmarks, "plausible world" instead of realistic land class, no airport buildings, buggy flight models, no seasons, ugly green hues in the daytime, black water with no classes, bad ATC, etc. are all problems I think they could of fixed in time. Instead many of these issues may never be fixed because they see nothing wrong with them. The plausible world stuff and the AI system being the biggest design decisions they stand by.

X-Plane could of completely replaced FSX as the top sim platform if they'd went more in a direction of cloning FSX's good parts with improvements and adding new features on top of that with an ever improving engine. Instead they seem hell bent on paving their own path and it limits their fanbase. It may make them more original, but I don't think it's the best move.

The night lighting is certainly incredible. The lighting engine in general is great. Sloped runways, 3d clouds, cloud shadows, weather engine, etc. are all vast improvements over FSX or are completely new features.

It's what's missing that FSX has that they don't seem very apt to add that holds back most from switching.

Add to that a very controversial flight model, and you have an extremely demanding package that the x-plane team has to address.

I am sure though that even if they choose not to address it, someone will.

The shame is that we are just observers of a technology race where our hobby, the one with extremely loyal and knowledgeable members, is left untouched.

I would love to dare that someone!

No, Alain, we were looking for night lighting, not some half naked elves. You always mix that up. :P

the elf has wings, it's a new addon from PMDG :lol:

FSX really is all we have left....if only MS had decided to continue with Flight. Maybe, sometime in the future, we will get what we want!

Strangely no one mention about a simulator develop by LM? In fact P3D 2.0 is my hope now, though we wouldn't expect it to hit shelf any soon.