Sign in to follow this  

My one plane hangar

I can remember Jeroen enthusing over the Katana, then the RV7, then Flight and now the Lancair. Given that you thought all of these, in turn, were the best thing since sliced bread, does this mean they all (Lancair excepted) have no value at all now?

I've had/have several all time favourites and they still get used from time to time.

How about a list of planes you wished you hadn't bought? That'd be interesting.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Yeah. My average "flight" goes like this:

7pm: Try deciding what to fly and where. While looking at aeroplanes, spot the one I've been meaning to repaint.

8pm: Downloading some kind of software to convert repaint textures.

9pm: Repaint done. Remember that I was going to fly somewhere. Visit AVSIM forums.

10pm: Still reading AVSIM forums.

11pm: Finally open FSX. Start flight plan. Open Google Earth.

12pm: Downloading new freeware scenery for the route I'm wanting to fly.

1am: New scenery installed. Going to bed.

Yeah. My average "flight" goes like this:

7pm: Try deciding what to fly and where. While looking at aeroplanes, spot the one I've been meaning to repaint.

8pm: Downloading some kind of software to convert repaint textures.

9pm: Repaint done. Remember that I was going to fly somewhere. Visit AVSIM forums.

11pm: Finally open FSX. Start flight plan. Open Google Earth.

12pm: Downloading new freeware scenery for the route I'm wanting to fly.

1am: New scenery installed. Going to bed.

This sounds familiar...

Guilty. :-)

Scott

And then of course you see the DC3 at 40% off today at pc aviator. How does one knock back payware quality classic like that?

ZORAN

Well, it's a fantasy as well. Wouldn't you like to own planes if you were filthy rich? Each virtual one, when it is very well done will give you that flying experience that you crave, but cannot afford to in real life due to one reason or the other. And that plane is the one I keep. I would wish all virtual aircraft sold with the Flight 1 model, give you a trial period. Too many times, the screenshots look good, the review looks good, but when I bought and tried it, it's just not there. So many good sim planes, so little time.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I can remember Jeroen enthusing over the Katana, then the RV7, then Flight and now the Lancair. Given that you thought all of these, in turn, were the best thing since sliced bread, does this mean they all (Lancair excepted) have no value at all now?

I've had/have several all time favourites and they still get used from time to time.

How about a list of planes you wished you hadn't bought? That'd be interesting.

Well, they were the best things since sliced bread until the next one was released. :wink: They are still great (the planes, not Flight :wink: ) but I don't fly them anymore. Who knows, maybe in a few months again... unless the NEXT best thing since sliced bread is released! :wink:

Planes I wish I hadn't bought: most Carenado ones. There is one that I actually flew for a while (I think the Bonanza...?) but the others (2 or 3, I can't remember) I flew a few times after buying them and then forgot about them quickly. I also bought a plane from Ants I hardly flew (the Sierra, I think) and one from Iris (some Diamons which was rather crap). Most other planes (I didn't buy THAT many) were a favorite of mine at the time (I liked the Quest Kodiak a lot for quite a while).

Come to think of it: I also have Ant's Drifter and THAT is a (quality!) plane I did buy to use on the side, mainly to check out new airport scenery. It's not the kind of plane I would plan a flight for. However, I never could get it running well on my system and so I don't use it anymore. (I also don't buy addon airports anymore...) But I might give that one another try to use for variation, after 'coming home from work in my Legacy'. :wink: But I would still have a one plane hanger because the Drifter would stay outside: I've just have a small hangar, so... :wink:

So many good sim planes, so little time.

And there's my problem. :blush: Wanna fly them all. :biggrin:

I agree with Ryan, it is an addiction. A perpetual need to have something new. I fly different planes for different reasons. I may want to do some low and slow and other times IFR with something fast. I have 3 that I fly, but if something new comes out that knocks my socks off I will buy it. Now, a friend of mine has been married 5 times but still has his 1974 Truck, and buys everything for the sim that comes out. It is not just planes either. Anything that is new and it doesnt matter what it is. Go figure. He does the same with processors. He has bought every new processor that comes out, right when it comes out. Not sure what it means, but he is a happy go lucky guy, so he is doing exactly what he wants to do and enjoying it. 75% of the stuff he buys, at least add-ons, fall by the wayside in a couple of weeks. Hmmm, I am wondering if this buy buy buy, not to mention the time involved when simming, has anything to do with his divorce rate? To each his own.

Bob

In real life, I try to fly different aircrafts too. As long as something is rentable, I take an instructor with me and learn that aircraft and add that to my log book.

I have so far flown, the Cessna 172SP Both, Analog and G1000 (my go to aircraft), 172N, 150, the pipers, Cherokee, Piper Arrow, Piper Seneca (the biggest aircraft I have flown so far), Piper Seminole, Diamond D40 (I actually don't like this aircraft.,. I hate that stick in my crotch. Why would a modern aircraft shove a stick in that location?), Citabria (total Stick and Rudder...love it but lacks power), American Decathlon (Aerobatics and again stick and rudder and love it and its 180HP), Stearman (OMG Open cockpit...slow and sluggish as heck but fun).

I would love to fly those WWII aircrafts like the P40 if I can rent them ...Anyone knows where I can rent them in the DFW areas?

Been going to Seattle and Victoria BC and have been eyeing those sea planes... and thinking of a sea rating. Ha Ha!

Each of these aircrafts has its own quirks and I love it that I need to learn these different sublte aspects of these aircrafts and its v-speeds. I try to maintain common procedures for em all as much as possible so I am not confused. Since I also follow the checklist for almost anything... I make sure I don't leave out stuff that are specific for that aircraft.

So I do the same on the Sim. :)

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

One plane?!... One Plane?! I could never-ever just fly one plane. Here we have a whole buffet table just full of exotic aircraft to taste. I am even building my cockpit to fly as many different aircraft as possible. How those guys can spend $50,000 to fly just one tubeliner is beyond my control. I could never do it. I really got addicted to "collecting" airports and scenery for awhile rather than flying. And some of those developers are just masters when it comes to feeding the addiction (dare I say Orbx or FSDT). Man, I would be a hopeless crack addict, ha!

But I have slowed waaaay down. After realizing I had AntarticaX still sitting in it's DVD case since it's release (what a year ago), and Word Not Allowed may get a kick outta this.... I just installed for the first time the PMDG 747 from a DVD I got in a bargain bin years ago at Best Buy. So what is old and dated to you is new and exciting to me.

Ah,.... be talkin' to much. Gotta go back and get my "fix" :P

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I had AntarticaX still sitting in it's DVD case since it's release (what a year ago),

That Antartica X is one of the best airport addons. :)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter