Sign in to follow this  
Anxu00

Why do you "flysim" MD-11?

Hi all,

I am sure some of you also sim-fly with other ATP planes. My question is what is so special about this bird? Is it more difficult than the Boeing 700s? Does it fly better? I am sure there are pilot out there using the PMDG MD-11 to practice, but what are other reasons?

Thanks

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

It's a challenge. All other aircraft are mundane. And its gorgeous to look at, sexy beast. :)

Looks real, consistent, interesting, beautiful. Its cabin gives a feeling of being there.

It is enjoyed for hours and hours, airport after airport.

Happy Flights

Arturo Muñoz

Vu

I agree with everthing Arturo and Rendi have written. Plus I like the automation of the plane. If the FMS and MCP are setup correctly and no failures are enabled the plane will fly by itself, do automatic step climbs, handle all the fuel switching, etc. All the pilot has to do is takeoff, climb, descend and land. The cruise portion is completely automatic.

Michael Cubine

Like the previous poster I like the automatisation and challenge of this bird. Since it can be unstable it gives a challenge.

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.

So the automation is even better than the Boeing? I gave up on the Maddog, too tough due to time constraint. I heard that the MD-11 is a challenge, and I was afraid it's going to be another Maddog experience. If you have comparative experience between flying this bird versus the Boeing 700s series, I would like to hear about it.

Thanks

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

It's very immersive, especially in bundle with fs2crew. A very unique big and challenging plane!

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

So the automation is even better than the Boeing?

I wouldn't say better. I would say more involved, meaning, it takes care of more things for you.

I gave up on the Maddog, too tough due to time constraint. I heard that the MD-11 is a challenge, and I was afraid it's going to be another Maddog experience.

I'm guessing your challenge on the MD80s was clicking on so many different things to get the bird started, and flying? If so, there's a lot less involved in getting the MD11 in the air.

If you have comparative experience between flying this bird versus the Boeing 700s series, I would like to hear about it.

I'd say it's easier, less involved (from a procedures point of view), and different enough to give you another challenge while still allowing you to enjoy both.

Kyle Rodgers

So the automation is even better than the Boeing? I gave up on the Maddog, too tough due to time constraint. I heard that the MD-11 is a challenge, and I was afraid it's going to be another Maddog experience. If you have comparative experience between flying this bird versus the Boeing 700s series, I would like to hear about it.

Thanks

The Maddog is certainly a challenge. I gave up on it twice before getting comfortable the third time. From that point on, i have flown it for the past 4 years, specially the shared cockpit, wonderful feature.

The MD11 is a different beast, wings and tail shorter than it needs so it has peculiar handling needs. The systems are quite unique, and i learnt to love it.

I use MCE voice control on the MD11 and i get a total blast out of it. Actually got my mitts into some airline documents in the past few days so will try to modify my MCE to follow the procedures i found.

Take the plunge, the MD11 grows on you, a really unique add on.

I fly this bird because is different to the others, the flaps set is very interesting, is powerful, heavy and approaching and landing is very funny, high speed and the CG is in the tail. The PMDG is very realistic, it looks very close to the real bird and feels heavy when you fly it. I prefer less automatized airplanes but MD11 is different, is as automatic as an Airbus (i don't like) but much more interesting and funny.

Even after I got my hands on the PMDG NGX I usually prefer flying the MD11. I really don't know why. Maybe because the MD11 turned me into becoming a serious flight simmer. And yes, for me the automation puts it one generation ahead of its competitors. The last true beauty in the sky.

I wouldn't say better. I would say more involved, meaning, it takes care of more things for you.

I'm guessing your challenge on the MD80s was clicking on so many different things to get the bird started, and flying? If so, there's a lot less involved in getting the MD11 in the air.

I'd say it's easier, less involved (from a procedures point of view), and different enough to give you another challenge while still allowing you to enjoy both.

You are correct there are just too many things to get the Maddog going. I am sold on the less involved procedures. I hardly have enough times. Sitting there clicking on too many things is a put off. I have been sitting on the fence on investing more times into the heavies. I have been watching You Tube videos, and for the most part flying the heavies looks like a lot of work. However, there are just something about being able to fly these massive machines.

Vu Pham

Several posts on the automation, I would have to concur. Also... The degrees of automation, you could choose not to fly with the full "auto system" mode. Set HYD, FUEL, AIR to manual and feel that you're taking control over these systems. I've flown with the automation on, but now I'm experimenting with the manual mode. Adds another dimension to the experience.

The immersion and authentic handling, or response to the environment. Flew from Anchorage (PANC) to Murmansk (ULMM) over Siberia. Halfway, in the middle of nowhere, my fuel startet to freeze! I lost two engines, and started a slow decent into no mansland while I franticly searhed the emergency procedure manual for help. At 2500 ft, I regained control, and was able to fire up #1 and #3 again. A nail biter never experienced before in FSX. So yes immersion...

-----------------------------------------------

Morten Haughom

Greetings from the sticks!

N70° 22' 23 - E031° 06' 02

Vardø, Norway

Hi all,

I am sure some of you also sim-fly with other ATP planes. My question is what is so special about this bird? Is it more difficult than the Boeing 700s? Does it fly better? I am sure there are pilot out there using the PMDG MD-11 to practice, but what are other reasons?

Thanks

I bought This http://www.itvv.com/.../mpmd11dvd.html and just had to buy the PMDG superb simulation.

Preview here http://www.itvv.com/pages.php?pageid=50143418