Sign in to follow this  
DreadMetis

Curtiss C-46 Commando available in Flight

I did fly for about three hours, enough for Kauai to slip into the darkness behind me... when I got down to 63% fuel I saved the game, then switched to map view to check my progress... the distance I had travelled north was sifnificantly less than the width of the Hawaiian island chain... which doesn't seem right, I wonder if I was further out and was repositioned by activating the map.

If you are off the Map and open the Map, you will teleport back to the edge of the Map. I learned this the hard way on my first attempt to reach Johnston Atoll.

Use GMap to track your progress.

You may be able to use this to cheat your way to Alaska, though, if it moves you to the nearest scenery area... Fly just beyond the half-way point and open the Map. B)

If you are off the Map and open the Map, you will teleport back to the edge of the Map. I learned this the hard way on my first attempt to reach Johnston Atoll.

Use GMap to track your progress.

No, you won't teleport back to the edge of the map... I now realise what's happened.

There are three grid squares between Kauai and the northern edge of the map, yet the map shows me as being barely one grid square north of Kauai. Why? This is the map's limit, not the 'edge'. It lets you fly just far enough to lose sight of the land mass. Even dragging the plane north manually does not work, the icon just bounces back - you can try this yourself in map mode.

Since this one-grid-square-from-land limit only represents about an hour's flight for the old girl, it seems highly unlikely that Alaska would be reacheable, even if starting off in mid air with a full tank.

I assure you that you do indeed teleport back into the Map area (or, at least, that you used to. It's possible that the Map behavior has changed since March/April, which was the last time I flew beyond it). I was much further out, well on my way to Johnston according to GMap, opened the Map screen, and was bounced back to the limit of where the Map screen will show you.

I am thinking of this thing as a "Pogo Whale" (no relation the the real navy Pogo) cause' I bounce it so many times trying to land!! :P

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I never knew that you could Fake the cockpit with CNTL Q. HOLY CRAP. Someone kiss the guy who figured that out! It works pretty **** well for me and completely changes flying all of my favorite birds!!! thank you again!!!. As for the C-46 I flew a mission the other day and didn't get it finished because I couldnt stick the landing lol ( had to head out and couldn't complete it an dit was like 182+ KM too) but I learned quick you better be lined up and slow... Ill get it down. Also I don't know about the rest of you but I still have a TON of stuff to complete in FLIGHT so for me I don't see a problem with the studio closing. I know it killed any future DLCS but hey I plan on flying what I got for a LONG time to come.

So I was flying the C-46 yesterday and had a question or two.

Whenever I turn, it seems like it does not roll quick enough. It seems even making minor corrections in this thing you have to use the rudder only because if you turn using yoke or joystick, when you turn back it is very slow and if you do not do it just right it will cause you to veer off to one side. I hope I am making sense.

I know it is a big aircraft and if the mechanics of it is true, then I am A-OK with it and will learn it. It just seems that when you bank left or right, it is very very VERY heavy and you can barely even turn.

So is this the way it is supposed to perform?

This can't be right, it's horrendous. I flew it for a half an hour and it was fine. Then BLAM...turning is virtually impossible.

Wow, that is really well done. I have not seen that before anywhere. I love flying the whale a lot, but it could have been so so much better. I can't feeling that some day some how we will yet see cockpits in these things. Never say never.

I can't feeling that some day some how we will yet see cockpits in these things. Never say never.

Now that would be nice indeed!

If this excellent video production of the Commando has elsewhere been published here, forgive me but I couldn't find it.

http://www.youtube.c...v=NMMhalUKh_g#!

Respects, Bob in Seattle ...

Darn! I was invited and forgot all about it. Oh, well.

Very nice video. Looks like fun. ^_^

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

No preview model of Commando for my region. Shall I have NATO security clearance to look at it? :lol:

Wow, that is really well done. I have not seen that before anywhere. I love flying the whale a lot, but it could have been so so much better. I can't feeling that some day some how we will yet see cockpits in these things. Never say never.

Well considering that it is an absolutely terrible plane it could have been a whole lot better. A cockpit wouldn't have even saved it.