Sign in to follow this  
FLEX1978

2 questions before purchasing

Hi,

Over the next few days I plan to spend some time reading all the posts in this forum and getting up to speed, in the mean time I have a couple of questions.

First off here are my basic specs.

I5 2600K at 4.6ghz 8 gig ram win7 64 bit & a 660Ti driving two screens

FS9 runs like lightning and looks amazing maxed out.

FSX runs very well and I am halfway through preparing it for the upcoming PMDG 777 & FSLabs A320.

I have all the major scenery/airports etc for both sims, GEX, UTX, AS2012 and a bunch of freeware, plus trackir & loads of hardware for a homecockpit.

So...

1. Is there any reason not to switch to p3d? My logic for switching now is I would rather spend my time working on the sim I plan to stick with then spend time tweaking FSX only to have to start over again with P3d

2. Could someone recommend the best standalone drive on the Market, if I do buy p3d I will put it on a new seperate drive.

Many thanks :)

Rob Prest

1: P3D is an evolved FSX, with faster focusing of textures, friendlier popup menus, improvements always being discovered...FSX was kicked out of the house because it was not making daddy rich fast enough...

2: No need for that. Any respected-brand HDD is a welcome growth to any computer

Thanks, I understand what p3d is, my question is are there drawbacks for someone switching.. Eg compatibility issues with hardware or any quirks? I understand you have to point certain installers in the right direction, is that the only issue for someone making a switch?

For example does multi monitor support work the same way as fs9/FSX? Does trackir work the same.

I'll ask over on the hardware forum regarding drives, just wanted to know what the fastest drive is at the moment.

Cheers

Rob Prest

1. Is there any reason not to switch to p3d? My logic for switching now is I would rather spend my time working on the sim I plan to stick with then spend time tweaking FSX only to have to start over again with P3d

Plus:

Way better performance. And couple of FSX tweaks make it even better.

Stability. I had no crashes yet.

Availability of the Migrator for the addons.

Minus:

Not many official addons released, but most of them work (check my blog for the comparison list by Ben).

Licensing issues with some addons ("must be used in FSX only...").

No startup menu

There are probable more + and -, but these are off top of my head.

2. Could someone recommend the best standalone drive on the Market, if I do buy p3d I will put it on a new seperate drive.

You can put it on the same drive as FSX if you have space. But if you don't want:

WD Black, WD Vrap, Corsair M4...

Eg compatibility issues with hardware or any quirks?

There are always quirks. Even FSX has quirks - many at that. But I can tell you one thing: FSX is gone here.

No issues with my hardware.

I understand you have to point certain installers in the right direction, is that the only issue for someone making a switch?

As mentioned, you are better off with the Estonia Migrator as it does the whole job with you - without it, you have to make scenery entries manually. The migrator knows where FSX folders should be and points to P3D folders, which have the same filenames and everything.

just wanted to know what the fastest drive is at the moment.

This.

Just ask Alain ^_^

For example does multi monitor support work the same way as fs9/FSX? Does trackir work the same.

You can put those questions on P3D forum - devs can probably answer these the best. I think someone said TIR is working with EZCA, if I'm not mistaken...

But seriously: get a $10 license and try all that out!

Cheers Word Not Allowed, exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks mate

Rob Prest

Oh well, missed by an inch ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No startup menu

I've got 2 questions about this:

1. What's the configuration of the default flight?

2. Can you change it if you want to fly the same flight over and over?

Almost, I have this one, it's a bargain at $200.00 off retail price....LOL

ONLY $1300.... I spent that much for my entire machine!! :lol:

I've got 2 questions about this:

1. What's the configuration of the default flight?

2. Can you change it if you want to fly the same flight over and over?

1. The default flight spawns you in Norfolk Virginia in the Mooney Bravo.

2. Yes, you can change the default flight in the saved flights menu.

1. The default flight spawns you in Norfolk Virginia in the Mooney Bravo.

2. Yes, you can change the default flight in the saved flights menu.

OK, thanks for the information!

Hi,

I can only say that you should try it first... and if you get the performance increase than FSX as expected, you're good to go...

If you don't, you could always refund it as you wish (LM has 60 days refund policy).

In my case, I tried P3D V1.4 last week.. but I had to refund it because I got less performance than my FSX.

I don't know why.. This is my spec:

i7-2600 3.4GHz - 8GB RAM

GeForce GTX570 (1280MB)

NVidia Driver: 295.73

I copied from FSX and installed a lot of AI Traffic from WoAI & other freeware AI... (AI Traffic at 100%)

I've already used "Bufferpool" tweak, etc. from Word Not Allowed's blog.

I assume perhaps the driver is too old or P3D handles AI Aircraft poorly... but i'm not sure... Maybe I missed some tweaks..

I'm happy now with my current FSX... perhaps in the future I'll consider to get back to P3D again.

BR.

There are always quirks. Even FSX has quirks - many at that. But I can tell you one thing: FSX is gone here.

:wacko: Say again?!

Do they have your fsx tweaks sticky over there? ;)

Well, then I'm gonna get it one of these days. Will add a dedicated velociraptor for that.

Which license did you get yourself? I don't want to be limited too much, but don't really want to spend beyond reason.

Is that migration tool a payware? Where can I find it?

Many thanks, Word Not Allowed.

Cheers,

Dirk.

I can only say that you should try it first... and if you get the performance increase than FSX as expected, you're good to go...

I'm just gonna confirm that! I had P3D installed side-by-side for couple of days, testing and comparing. After I was persuaded it was better in performance (basically only thing I really care), I formatted my C, installed everything fresh and only P3D.

I know P3D needs more developments, start menu and all that, but give it time, I am sure LM is going to listen to us - they did listen to me with the past bug reports.

And right now, it is good enough to replace my FSX.

Which license did you get yourself? I don't want to be limited too much, but don't really want to spend beyond reason.

Academic.

Is that migration tool a payware? Where can I find it?

Simmarket.

I'm just gonna confirm that! I had P3D installed side-by-side for couple of days, testing and comparing. After I was persuaded it was better in performance (basically only thing I really care), I formatted my C, installed everything fresh and only P3D.

I hope it's not a problem to have both in one OS on different HDDs. I wonder how do the wrappers like F1 and others behave when having different paths in the registry?

Thanks,

Dirk.

I hope it's not a problem to have both in one OS on different HDDs.

Not at all. I had them both on my Vrap, E:\FSX and E:\P3D. Worked like a charm.

I wonder how do the wrappers like F1 and others behave when having different paths in the registry?

This is exactly where a Migrator comes into play.