I am considering purchasing a PC from Digital Storm (to be used for both general purposes and FSX) and would appreciate any advice / comments regarding the following related to overclocking.

Two options are provided by DS to overclock a 3770K processor - Level 1 @ 4.0 - 4.4ghz and Level 2 @ 4.5 - 4.8ghz. The difference cost wise between the two levels is only $20 - so not an issue. From my research on the forum it appears that the 3770K generates significant heat when overclocked. Would a level 1 overclock with this processor be sufficient to run FSX really well or would a Level 2 overclock be necessary (assume Level 1 would generate less heat than Level 2)? Also would watercooling be necessary or would it be OK to air cool with a product such as a Noctua DH-14? Not interested in de-lidding as I am not that tech savvy.

They used to offer a i7 2700K processor for the configuration I am interested in but don't seem to anymore.

Thanks very much.

I just went to Digital Storm and configured a system

I7 3770,

Z77 Sabertooth ASUS MB

8MB RAM at 2000

GTX 670 2Gig Video

1 TB HD.

some sort of water cooling

OC to 4.5-4.8ghz

for around $2157 + OS?

If you are not very confident of building it yourself then this ain't too bad an option. You may be able to save $400-$500 bucks maybe if you DIY...but that's not too bad for their labor cost and for saving on your headache pills.

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hi Manny,

Thank you for your response....feel the same that the DS price is pretty fair if you are not confident in building a PC on your own. Looks like your configuration is exactly what I am considering. I guess a Level 2 overclock is OK as long as you have the right cooling.

I can't stress enough how easy it is to build your own system, you should really give it a try, and save some $$$ that could be spent on upgrading your video card, or maybe splurging a little on high capacity SSD storage.

Aamir Thacker

Yeah, what Aamir says is true. You should really build it yourself, it is really easy plus you earn the experience and save a few hundred $ which you can spend in other components. Also, if you build it yourself you know you aren't getting refurbished hardware or stuff like that...

I've built my own system before, but recently had Digital Storm build one for me as I didn't have the time. I can't comment specifically on your technical questions but do want to say that Digital Storm's customer support is excellent. My system arrived with some shipping-related issues and they were very responsive about getting everything squared away.

The real advantage of building it yourself is not just saving the $400 but the learning aspects of it... I have burned my MB cause I shoved the wrong cable and what not.. but I have chalked up the cost as learning cost. This knowledge is the real benefit,

But then ones opportunity cost needs to be taken into account., if you are busy business person who can make more than $1000 for that 6 hrs ( yes if you are noob, it could take that much time) then you may be better off getting it done

MAnny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

The real advantage of building it yourself is not just saving the $400 but the learning aspects of it... I have burned my MB cause I shoved the wrong cable and what not.. but I have chalked up the cost as learning cost. This knowledge is the real benefit,

But then ones opportunity cost needs to be taken into account., if you are busy business person who can make more than $1000 for that 6 hrs ( yes if you are noob, it could take that much time) then you may be better off getting it done

MAnny

That's very true too. It took me a whole day to get mine up and running.

Aamir Thacker