Sign in to follow this  
sleightflight

Horizon photo scenery still blurring with high end pc

I have FSX Gold Edition installed, so that means SP1, SP2, and Acceleration. It's worth noting that I do NOT suffer OOM errors in DX10 Preview mode. It is super stable in that mode, so I am not sure what the problem is...

I have the same version of FSX (Gold, english edition) and for me it works the same, nice manner in DX10 and DX9 modes. To be sure I ask - have you installed all three DVDs included in FSX Gold box?

Next thing - I noticed that you are using quite old version of Nvidia drivers (196.19), maybe it has influence on your problem. You may try newer and well tested version as 285.62 or 296.10 drivers.

Third thing, are you sure that your DirectX is healthy? What is dxdiag system tool telling about installed version and its properties?

Hello

-

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is about ensuring you have defraged after installing the horizon scenery

You may already know about that and have done it, but if you did not do that when you installed the scenery, then you should. More than any other scenery , Horizon photo real needs the defrag after installation, otherwise the computer has to work too hard to use the scenery to best advantage.

Defrag is on the agenda , I still have Scotland south , traffic x , & fs altitude Europe to install yet , then I will Defrag , I am now thinking this 6970 card/ drivers is rubbish for fsx , I cannot get it looking how nice it looked with my old rig , question , baring in mind I have pcie 3 CPU/ mobo which gpu should I go for , 580 or 680 , general consensus on sandybridge is no real difference in performance , but I have Ivybridge , but this rig is 95% fsx , then hawx 2 or bms falcon or lock on + flaming cliffs . I am going to put the 6970 on my amd rig & sell it.

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

You're a lucky guy then, Dave. I have to stick to LOD 4.5 in DX9 mode, although I suspect that I could go much higher in DX10 mode. I don't think FSX really likes my graphics drivers when running in DX9 mode...

Interesting you say this. I switched to DX10 mode with the shader mods and my PC and GPU are running alot cooler now. The sim is also silky smooth since I switched from DX9.

Mmm , yes might be worth a go in dx10 mode on mine , last time I tried it it was awfull , but that was 2 years ago.

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

Defrag is on the agenda , I still have Scotland south , traffic x , & fs altitude Europe to install yet , then I will Defrag ,

Hmm- until you defrag, you will have blurries. IIRC, The horizon scenery recommends it to the point of instruction :smile: . Certainly, when i bought mine, the seller told me it was really mandatory otherwise i would have blurries .

Until you do that, any other "cures" you try will be wasted effort.

I was actually running the Forceware 280.26 drivers, but I have since upgraded to the new 301.42 drivers. I will have to do some "stress" tests in DX9 mode to see if it has made any difference.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Ok wow , all this time I've had this scenery I've never heard about having to Defrag , I've done it in the past & my iola system mechanic usual tells me to do it now & again. but yes should have the last of my scenery installed this weekend , then Defrag .

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

all scenery is now installed & defrag has been done, deffinately an improvement , thanks for the tip.

still not happy with the reproduction of the scenery , seems the gtx 580 have come down a lot in price ,the gtx 680 is still a lot more & im not sure its worth the extra money for pcie3 when it appears to be around the same performance in fsx + the 580 is a better card than the 6970 I have at the moment. Really not sure which way to go.

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

No input on gpu then anyone, sounds like 685 imminent is a myth , sounds like 780 is coming next year , can I wait , not sure , 6970 image isn't to bad but everyone insists nvidia is better for fsx , but I really need to get the blurries reduced .

older 11.11 driver has really reduced the bad distance shimmering I was getting with the current ATI driver.

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight