Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Embarrassing confession......

Well there are two aspects to using an FMS:

1. Understanding what you are entering

2. Understanding how to enter it.

#1 is basically understanding how IFR navigation works: what's an airway, how do they work. How do SIDs & STARs work, etc. Those are all things you can practice with non-FMC equipped planes. The FMC is just going to copy what you're doing manually here, so if you understand this you'll understand what the FMC is doing under the hood, and why it's doing it.

Understanding #1 will make #2 much easier, since you understand what data you need, and so can spot if you're missing something or if something doesn't make sense. #2 is also the only real difference between FMCs of different manufacturers, under the hood they practically do the same.

No one enjoys flight simming more than I. I've been doing it religiously since the very early days (at least 15 years ago). I fly mostly GA aircraft, and business jets. However, I still love flying the heavy iron, but I only use airliners that can navigate with the default GPS.

So, that's my confession. And I'm really embarrassed to say that I still do not know how to use an FMS navigation system that's so present in some of the finest models FSX has to offer. I've never taken the time to really learn about SIDS and STARS or programming an FMS. I know I'm really missing out on some tremendous experiences with phenomenal looking aircraft.

No excuses, but by the end of this year, I'm committed to learning how to navigate using this instrument. If you could recommend the best starting point for me in my quest, I'd appreciate it.

Now I feel better getting this monkey off my back!

Stan

Stan, you are not alone. I started simming in 1997 and obtained a PPL in 1991 (lapsed). But I too haven't made the time for FMCs, partly because I prefer the steam gauge liners. But that is the superb thing about this thing of ours, that there is always so much more to learn and become excited about. I am purchasing the NGX at month end and will be putting in the time to learn the FMC too.

Have fun

I am purchasing the NGX at month end and will be putting in the time to learn the FMC too.

Let me reiterate I was somewhat like you guys too... I found the 747 FMC very unintuitive and as a result spent many hours in the PMDG 747 hand-flying & navigating w/ a GPS (rather than read the manual). :LMAO: Try to get a friend from here to spend a few minutes to give you some dual instruction on it. Forgot to mention Jeff Williams did this for me with the NGX FMC (just brilliant btw... familiarity with the 747 FMC made things very easy / straightforward, so what you learn with one can help with another).

Next best would be as Manny and the Paul says... the smithplanet tutorial if you have the 747.

So nothing to be "embarrassed" as you say Stan. As the dukebe60 says... it's all part of the process. And there is a tremendous amount of info to learn (who ever stops learning?). Viewing from that perspective (to "become excited about") is the perfect way to view it (never get bored... something new to do and explore) rather than the flip side (of being discouraged or feeling inundated with it all).

-Rob

yes! "have fun" with it!

Personally I preferred to learn instrument flight on GA before moving to an FMC, I used the Reality XP and Flight1 Mustang for this, then the old VOR to VOR planes (707,727,A300)

I'm not rushing into the NGX, I'm still flying the J41 with FS2Crew and now the excellent Avro RJs.

To learn reading charts I signed up to Angle of Attack Aviator Pro for a month and only did the Instrument Approach videos they are nice and short. I flew every kind of approach multiple times in simple planes at night with only 1-2 mile visibility setting, flying by hand from the charts guidance only. That was REALLY fun actually.

I still have my excel training worksheet I created, if anyone wants to fly my approach practice flights let me know and I'll find the spreadsheet for you.

FSInstantApproach is an excellent tool I used.

Get the approaches sorted first, SIDS and STARS are not so important, if you can read an approach chart then these become easy. Also ATC can vector your arrival or departure anyway.

The FMC itself is just a matter of flying the tutorial flight after you have the basics down.

Then also remember - automation can also increase workload. If we fly short flights, try and keep things simple. Remember how to actually fly! Watch this video and see there is more to flying jets than using an FMC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3kREPMzMLk

Loved this vid, a very good presentation !

when I bought the 737 I could not be bothered with the fmc and got vectored around by ATC for 2 full months and they hassle you as soon as you have a 300ft difference which can happen with a twitch of a finger at 35000ft

In those 2 months it was possible to have fun and learn the FMC.

If you can fly a 150 you can fly a jet,no matter what type it is.

ZORAN

If you have the PMDG 747, this is the simplest start off tutorial..

Don't bother understanding anything... just Moneky see, Monkey do for the frist time.

http://smithplanet.com/fs2004/pmdg/

After you have started and landed following this.

After you are done with that...for Advanced level training

Check this thread

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/268751-747-400-advanced-tutorial-by-holger-seilz/

The Holger Seilz brilliant tutorial...from beginning to end ..just like a real Lufthansa flight from EDDF (Frankfurt) to KSFO (San Francisco). The file pm747tut.zip. may not be found here but its available at Flightsim

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?108-Copyright&fid=101674

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Brilliant tutorial on the 747, thanks for that, has he done a similar one for the PMDG 737 ?

The 737 shouldn't be too different.

Manny

Manny

The 737 shouldn't be too different.

It isn't in a way (which I tried to indicate in my above post... which helps).

But there are a number of unique features in the NGX that aren't in the 747 FMC.

-Rob

I'm right there with you!

Just got back into the the VA scene (I started Great Lakes Express back in 1997, it's gone through a couple owners since then), and when I went to fly one of my routes yesterday in the Embraer 170, had an "aw crud" moment when the default GPS wasn't available. Created an FSX flight plan, and figured out how to load it into the FMS, but like you, that's one of my goals for this year is to get comfortable with the FMS.

Other than the NGX products (which I don't own) I see a lot of tutorials mentioned - any one better than the others?

But there are a number of unique features in the NGX that aren't in the 747 FMC.

When I was flying the NGX , I noticed that I didn't have to use the FMC to input the ILS radio frequency unlike the 747, Ironically the inability to dial in the ils frequency was the impetus for me to learn the PDMG 747, FMC and what not. I was at the PMDG forum asking everyone, how the heck do I dial in my Radio nav frequency and they kept pointing to the FMC... otherwise I would have continued flying the 747 like I do my Cessna 172. LOL :)

Anything thing is, when I was trying to learn the 747 FMC, It was a PMDG 737ng FMC tutorial on you tube that I used to learn to programm the PMDG 747 FMC

Manny

Just for FMC, this guy has a part 1-10 or something explaining the FMC. I did not see everything..but this one looks fairly good although the video is a little dated

Manny

What a "wealth" of information this thread has given me. My thanks! I will take it all to heart and begin my journey toward FMC mastery. It will take time, but you've all given me much encouragement.

Thanks again.

Stan

No one enjoys flight simming more than I.

Stan

I might ;o)

Oh, I use the FMC wherever possible, but where I fall off is in understanding the whole gizmo w/ regard to startup procedures and so forth. SIDS & STARS? Don't ever use them nor really understand them but in crude fashion. But you know, that's the beauty of this hobby: you get in as deep as you want to. I generally start all flights ready for pushback. Having picked up GSX, I now have to learn how to shut the plane down and restart. But rather than take the time and effort (may later, may not!), I've discovered quick shortcuts to get the job done. W/ the QW757 it's a snap to shutdown using Ctrl-shft-F1, then simply turn on the APU (I know what it is!) then after avionics reinitialize, it's a simple Ctrl-E and she's off and running while the plane is in pushback governed by GSX. Just recently learned how simple it was doing this w/ the NGX, but I can assure you I don't really understand much, but I can do it nonetheless, and that is totally fine by me.

I think bang for buck, learning the FMC is both pretty easy and quite a rich area to pick up skills in. Plus, it's easy to generalize from one bird to another's FMCs. After learning the the PMDG 747's, it was a breeze to apply to other planes.

I still, after all of these many many years, am amazed at how awesome this hobby is! The visuals just keep improving! Flying up out of KJAC to CYYC on a beautiful dawn flight is something that still has my jaw dropping quite often! I think one area I wish would be improve is native ATC. The default one is tolerable but quite limited, but I much prefer its spontaneity as it were, versus the experience I had w/ RC many years ago where you must load a complete script in effect for one flight. Not sure how much better it is now as that was many years ago.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Hi Stan,

I can confess that I have no idea how to operate the default GPS :lol: .

My suggestion would be to go with anything PMDG have done, particularly the NGX since it really is state of the art. It might seem like jumping in at the deep end, but the tutorials and manuals are really very good, and at least that way you now that the effort you are putting into learning the FMS is well spent. Plus as a bonus you will be able to operate the PMDG 777, 747 (v2), as well as the excellent LevelD 767, since they all use very similar system logic and FMS. I think there are also plenty of training programs you can get that explain the NGX further. FS2Crew and AngleOfAttack come to mind.

Enjoy!