Sign in to follow this  
bradrcfii

Course Window Anomalies

Twice this weekend, I flew into KSFO from the north on the Goldn6 arrival into the ILS runway 28L. The course track for the ILS is 281 degrees per the chart which I dialed into the two course widows.

At some point during the arrival/approach, the course window changed to 284 degrees. I found that I could not change the course back to 281, it was somehow locked from any changes. Additional interest is that the track white line indicator on the PFD showed a course of 284 while tracking the localizer.

What is going on? Why the change to 284 degrees and why is the course window locked?

Thanks,

I used a chart from FlightPlan.com. Additioanlly, the CDU reported a course of 281 as well in the InitRef page after selecting the the ILS 28L.

i think that there is a setting in the FMC that automaticly sets the azimuth of the ILS in the fsx world. it is usefull because the fsx world database doesnt update like the approaches plates. you can find it somewhere in the FMC and disable it if you want.

i say that fsx uses the same ils course it used from the first day it came out. in the real world ils courses are updated from time to time because of magnetic deviation (im sure you can find much more educated answers then mine..), and so the approach plates get updated. in your case - FSX uses the course 284

I had thought the navigraph datbase handled the courses. A little confused.

It does. The issue is that navigraph updates the FMC data only. The LOC Course changes are tied to the scenery .bgls of Flight Sim, which are now several years old, thus the discrep. Because of this, there's an option that automatically forces the CRS window to use the scenery's course, which is what you're seeing.

If you'd like to update the CRS, use a program similar to AFCAD to create a new bgl for that airport. If you don't want to bother, set the course in the window and let the FMC override it with the scenery course.

Kyle Rodgers

Unless I am sorely mistaken, I believe, just for the record. the option being referred to here is 'Set FSX LOC Course'. We like this option for the reasons clearing stated by Kyle.

Had this 'happen't to me the other day, but fortunately was aware of the background to it. Sit back, relax and fly. :dance:

Guys,

rsvit provides the only really viable option other than using the totally unrealistic option to set the LOC CRS from within FSX.

Lets just be clear...no amount of screwing around with AFCADs can help - it will make it worse!

By altering a RWY HDG (editing the AFCAD) or changing the INBND CRS of a LOC beam (editing the AFCAD) you will either physically move a RWY out of alignment with the rest of its associated scenery &/or create the worlds worst OFFSET LOC approach. Its a recipe for disaster...especially if you are a novice at working with AFCADs.

The Magentic North Pole moves, the RWYs DO NOT!!

Go to your nearest newsagents & buy a 1:50000 map...somewhere on that map there will be a small diagram showing the rate of Magnetic Declination for that mapsheet...nothing else on that mapsheet moves as it is physically attached to the earth.

Since the guts of FSX are over 10 years old its reasonable to expect that the HDGs published on current charts & plates & those used inside any NAVDATA files will be divergent from the 10 yr old Magnetic HDGs (based on the FS Magenetic Variation 10 years ago) inside FS.

Go to the linky rsvit gave to find the only really effective solution if you want to use current AIRAC Data & Charts.

The actual website is here:

http://www.aero.sors.fr/index.html

While you are there do yourself a massive favour & download the NAVAID updates - the guy doing the MAGDEC update (latest is 2010) also now updates NAVAIDs in line with the AIRAC cycle.

All of the fixes are contained in neat little installers & reversing the process if you dont like the result is straightforward.

Hats off the the man that does this .... he provides these services free of charge to the FS community.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

That makes sense. I've always handled changes in magvar when flying outside of the sim, but when it came to the sim, I never really approached it from the same angle. Thanks Steve.

Kyle Rodgers

That makes sense. I've always handled changes in magvar when flying outside of the sim, but when it came to the sim, I never really approached it from the same angle. Thanks Steve.

Yep its pretty simple once you get your head around it....& similar to RL

The choice is really to leave things be & use the PMDG Option for the LOC CRS or go the whole hog update the MAGVAR file & NAVAIDs...the latter takes very little time, is a simple process to complete & it does produce reliable results.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'