Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

Scenery details bis

I had already posted some of the scenery elements that keep surprising me in Flight. Anybody that has tried to make scenery knows how tedious and time consuming it is to recreate the world. Even God needed a few days to do this, and arguably He didn't get it completely right - for example, the world is a very blurry place. :lol:

This first screenshot is a good illustration of the amount of detail in the scenery that most users don't even notice:

Various types of shorelines, the little bays, the 2 roads of different widths with their accompanying bridges, the canal emptying into the sea, the new and extremely varied autogen houses, and most of all, the housing development to the right so typical of seaside communities with their direct access to the water - this is completely new and very well done.

Of course, everybody sees the glaring issue - the urban land class problem - but there is also a lot more here that is a success.

Here is another image of one of the new golf courses. The landscaping on them is lovely:

I am sure that everybody here has noticed the incredible detail of the scenery objects themselves. Some of them really stand out such as this tower at Ford island - incredible work by the artists.

FS 9 had a nice variety of shorelines, but they had a fixed width. FS X eliminated them and replaced them with what were essentially invisible shorelines, perhaps because some imbecile (could have been me! :rolleyes: ) complained about the FS 9 shorelines. But, the new shorelines in Flight are wonderful, and most importantly, they have variable widths, just like the real thing. Small details like this make the scenery much more realistic:

There has always been a problem with relief at the shorelines in FS. Essentially, the issue is that the altitude mesh and the vector elements have different resolutions, and so the water has a tendency to "squash" the altitude mesh if it is too closely drawn. I illustrated this problem for my fellow designers over 6 years ago before the release of FS X - this is a composite image of the illustrations:

It is extremely rare to find "squashed" cliffs on shorelines in Flight. Just about all shorelines are very convincingly drawn and look highly realistic:

You don't realize how much effort it takes to get this to look nice, particularly in a very large scenery project.

Finally, I have mentioned it before, but here it is again because I really love this - the water elements and particularly the meandering rivers, stunning work:

There is always something to astonish me, and other scenery designers, in Flight.

Best regards.

Luis

Fabulous pictures Luis. And thanks for pointing out those few facts about creating them, it was really interesting .

Luis, you realize you're just making everyone sit back and once again say to themselves " what could have been....." don't you? :Thinking:

Ken

Oh Luis, I've been spending more time in FSX recently, only because I want to get that wow and kick from Flight which it always gives me. More so when ive been away awhile. When you point out all these things that came in the default package it just makes me want to shake someone at MS <br /><br />I still have so much to do in Flight and for that I'm happy. I just showed Jo the lighthouse and even she went wow. It just goes to show the effort and work that went into it, not to mention the advancement in technology. The problem is, It looks realistic and because it does, it is taken for granted. <br /><br />Thank you for pointing out the wonders. Keep up the observations and pictures as they are always welcome. <br /><br />Bri

Luis, you realize you're just making everyone sit back and once again say to themselves " what could have been....." don't you? :Thinking:

I understand what you're saying but personally I don't worry about what could have been. It doesn't matter. I'm just having fun with what we have currently.

I'm grateful for forum members such as Luis that keep finding interesting things to enjoy in the program we're still flying.

Of course, I'm still hoping someone at MS that is Flight friendly might get something going eventually, but that too doesn't occupy much of my time either.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I haven't touched Flight in several weeks, because it's so disappointing to see the many problems that will never be fixed, and so depressing to see the many fantastic things that will never be expanded upon.

Of course, everybody sees the glaring issue - the urban land class problem - but there is also a lot more here that is a success.

Well, that's the whole point. Most other things being so d**n good, makes the imperfections stand out more.

There is always something to astonish me, and other scenery designers, in Flight.

Couldn't agree more.

I haven't touched Flight in several weeks

...and here I thought that you were too busy flying in space... :)

Thanks again Luis. Great pictures. I have been flying FSX again but I can't stand the whole feel of it anymore since experiencing flight. Granted, I have no add-ons for FSX and won't be buying any either. Flight just can't be beat, so here I am again, not that I ever really left. Besides the cost of the downloads Flight has cost me about $330.00 for Combat rudder pedals and TrackiR but I am very glad I have them because they really do help make the total experence. Besides they can always be used elswhere. Still a lot for me to do in Hawaii and Alaska and I have been making my own personal challenges. We can only hope that someday we may see something come out of this whole mess. Such a waste of some really amazing talent.

...and here I thought that you were too busy flying in space... :)

I'm flying down here in the muck a little bit, but yeah, most of my recent flights have been rocket-powered. I've managed a handful of moon landings (touching down only 250m away from my planned target on one) and am now working on mastering orbital rendezvous for docking.

Several new planets and moons are about to be added to KSP, so I'm also trying to come up with some more capable launch vehicle and lander designs for the much longer and more challenging flights interplanetary missions will require.

But I still love low & slow VFR, and get some in when I can.

Hey Thanks again Luis. Great pictures. Everytime i load flight i cant stop picturing what would it be like if we ever had other parts of the world in Flight's detail ...

Image removed as image is no longer available.

I have actually been paying quite a bit of attention to those naturalistic shorelines, and the meandering rivers etc. Its apparent that they must be very hard indeed to do, since you so rarely see anything close to that level of detail in sims, even in sims where you would very much expect to see it.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5