Sign in to follow this  
CoolP

What's your music when flying?

I'm interested, what are you hearing except for those CFM, PW, the packs, the passengers screaming.. .

I'm always running some music in the background, maybe explains my bad flying. So is that Top Gun soundtrack, the Star Wars saga theme or Lady Gaga really that helpful? I don't know.

Currently, I have Sting and the Police. Classic! But there's also some Dubstep (which is very close to the above engines at times :He He: ), so don't expect a fixed music setup here. How's yours? :smile:

PS. The rw pilots may also state what they are hearing when the autoland does the job. Except for the GPWS that means.

Nothing at all :P

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I used to always have a Formula 1 race going on during cruise so I had something to watch.

I listen to either smooth jazz or Contemporary Christian music. I flew to Europe in '87 on American Airlines, and they had a selection of Contemporary Christian songs on their in flight entertainment system. It was such a nice mix of music that I noted down all the songs and artists, and bought their albums so I could record the same mix on tape. Now that I'm in the modern age the mix is burned as mp3's, so I listen to it on my computer or on my mp3 player. Don't get me wrong--I'm not a "loud" Christian--my spiritual faith is personal, between me and my family and friends. I recognize that there are people of all faiths here, and their friendship is enough for me. Back to the topic, when it comes to smooth jazz I have a mix of songs that lasts for twelve hours, again loaded on my mp3 player and computer. It's really nice to mellow out and listen while I fly (right now I am flying the RealAir Duke somewhere over Texas). When I was younger (going back more than thirty years to my teens), I would have listened to mainstream rock...bands like Journey, Toto, Jefferson Starship, Boston, etc.... Those were good tunes to fly by.....

Regards,

John

Whatever comes to my ears at a particular time: roaring engines, idling engines, reverse thrust (must be my favourite), jetway horn, pushback tug, ground crew, wind, ATC, other pilots (offline or online), virtual first officer, virtual purser, dings on the overhead panel, autopilot knobs clicking, rustling of my airport charts, cracking of my worn-out rudder pedals... adding music to it? No, thanks, even though I love music.

I suppose when flying in FS I'd listen to anything up-tempo and with a good beat, as CoolP says, a little light dub-step at times. As a sample of what I'm listening to at the moment:

And of course the classics, ABBA!!!

With regards what I hear when I land the plane in real life, well It tends to always go something along the lines of "Wow Captain, I've never seen a landing like that before.... " - Though I'll leave yee to determine the meaning in that one... :wink:

Regards,

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Geez, at least I'm not alone on flying with some extra input. Thanks, guys! Either way, I can understand the folks running the sim only too.

I haven't looked at my flight analysis lately, but I'd say that at least my GA flying adapts to the beat at times. :ph34r: (tough call with Dubstep, no doubt)

By the way, did you know that The Police wrote about separation minima back in 1980 with 'Don't stand so close to me?'. Batting%20Eyelashes.gif Amazing, isn't it?

Toto

Africa! Ok, I know some more, but that came to my mind. Expect my humming that tune now.

Hi CoolP, I don't often have music playing when flying but during preflight and passengers boarding I do have some backgound musak which plays. It really adds to the atmosphere. Oh, I also have airport ambient sounds playing too!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Oh, I also have airport ambient sounds playing too!

Does that include "Mr./Mrs. X, Please pick up the white courtesy phone"? :smile:

Skrillex

That counts as engine sounds. :P

but during preflight and passengers boarding I do have some backgound musak which plays. It really adds to the atmosphere.

That's clever, Howard. This should calm them before the flying horror starts. ^_^

thats a long list...Earth, Wind and Fire, Kool and the Gang, Commodores, Parliament, Stevie Wonder, the O'jays, some early Micheal Jackson...Boston, Chicago, Queen, Led Zepplin...and a *little* bit of dubstep

All, of course, goes silent when take off is committed and reverse thrust is active, gotta love that spool up! :lol: