Sign in to follow this  
Mickel

MD or NG?

You won't regret it :)

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I have both but i haven't flown the MD-11 for about a year or so and it's not even installed at the moment because the NGX takes up most of my flying time. However after reading all the above posts I'm going to install it tonight :)

Thanks for relighting my enthusiasm for it again.

I just looked at the price of the MD-11 it is still at $80. That is a pretty penny for an older product. I guess it does include three versions right? F, Combi and Passenger.

It's just been reduced to $59 and it's warming up ready for me to jump in :)

It's just been reduced to $59 and it's warming up ready for me to jump in :)

link ? :-)

ZORAN

It really comes down to what you like. As for noise, I think the NGX makes more of it. The MD-11 engines sound great, they are just farther away from the flight deck. Don't let the size of the MD discourage you. With high power to weight ratio, it is able to get in and out of a lot of places you would never see a 747. In fact I see a FedEx MD lining up for final into KMSP rwy 35 (8000') everyday at 6:15pm local time. The MD-11 is the biggest "short haul" in my hanger. Both are excellent add ons, it really comes down to you.

Willy

We must be pretty close because I get to see the same treat! Almost directly over my house landing 35

We must be pretty close because I get to see the same treat! Almost directly over my house landing 35

I'm actually about 1.5 West of FGT, So they are still pretty high and most traffic seems to get vectored in North of me, except that FedEx flight. I swear I could set my watch to it.

Congrats to the OP on purchase. It's well worth it!

Willy

To make things worse, I downloaded the McPhat HD AAL livery teaser. I'm really pleased that I finally made the leap. Done tutorial 1 and did LAX-SEA. I'm definitely at the bottom of the learning curve.

I'm actually about 1.5 West of FGT, So they are still pretty high and most traffic seems to get vectored in North of me, except that FedEx flight. I swear I could set my watch to it.

Congrats to the OP on purchase. It's well worth it!

Willy

Yeah pretty sure we live in the same town. I'm just north of you. Small world! Don't mean to get off topic my apologies!

The McDizzle Douglas fo sho'. As you have said before you can do all sorts of routes on the aircraft. Long, medium or short. Stick a Lufthansa Cargo HD repaint on and fly across the globe. Very interesting and different system integration as well. Personally I find the graphics more than acceptable despite it being an older release. The McDizzle gives me a pleasant sensation in my perineum every time I start its engines so it wins hands down.

The McDizzle gives me a pleasant sensation in my perineum every time I start its engines

I just laughed loudly.. and I'm still laughing :lol:

To make things worse, I downloaded the McPhat HD AAL livery teaser. I'm really pleased that I finally made the leap. Done tutorial 1 and did LAX-SEA. I'm definitely at the bottom of the learning curve.

Try the Kapitel01 tutorial...it is pretty good...do a search for Kapitel01 MD-11 and you will get it.

In the PMDG MD-11 Forum there are some posts by a real life MD-11 pilot from LH...after reading it, I experimented a bit...I now fly a VAPP of VREF+10 and get great results...also his suggestion on the flare to 30ft, hold attitude and let it sink, coupled with higher speed, avoids the famous "MD-11 Bounce"...lots of fun, and a challenge every flight...love it!

Try the Kapitel01 tutorial...it is pretty good...do a search for Kapitel01 MD-11 and you will get it.

Just want to thank you for this. I was hoping the 777 might be out for CTP, but will likely use the MD11. Since I havent flown it in over a year, I needed a refresher course.

I have a boxed version for FS9, and I really loved it! Since I made the switch to FSX, I haven't flown one, as I don't have the combo, but since the price has now dropped, I will definitely be buying it soon!

It is an amazing aircraft and even if you spent most of your sim career only flying Boeings (like me!), you have to get your head around the systems first. It definitely handles differently to the Boeings due to the fact that the stabilizer and the wings are a little too small, a bit of a challenge, but pleasingly responsive nonetheless!

As for the textures, older textures have never bothered me! Yes, the NGX (which I love and fly often!), has amazing textures, but even the old 744X is still amazing and I fly that regularly. All in all, I agree with the poster who said that the MD-11 is far from being outdated.

If you have the money, get both - you won't regret either of them!

Kind regards