Sign in to follow this  
Mickel

MD or NG?

I don't have the MD yet. I know I will be late to the party but I am looking at getting the MD-11 at some point. The NGX is something else though and is currently the top tier of FSX flying. It really depends if you want a heavy airliner more than a short-medium haul. One nice thing about the NG is that if you get the 700 you can do some fairly long flights and fly into some small and challenging airports. 4,500 ft runways are no problem for the 737-700 with the short field package.

I say get what type of plane you want more but than at some point buy the other one.

I just looked at the price of the MD-11 it is still at $80. That is a pretty penny for an older product. I guess it does include three versions right? F, Combi and Passenger. I have the NGX and 744x. The 744x is great but I am looking at getting something "new" for long haul. If I know the 777x was coming out somewhat soon I would probably wait but I am interesting in the MD-11.

I know the systems are great, but how are the graphics like th VC and 2D? Better than the 744x?

Also is performance FPS wise better or worse than the NGX?

Aerosoft has it on sale right now for about $55. So now I am trying to figure out if its for me or not also.

Aerosoft says it is verstion 1.0 is there a place I could download version 1.2 update? On the PMDG website it gives me a 404 error on the 1.2 update link.

The performance is better in the MD than in the NGX on my computer. The VC graphics are pretty good, better than most other planes other than the very latest high quality releases.

vatsim s3

1133704.png

I fired up the MD11 tonight after at least a year of not flying it. Apart from not as crisp textures on the text in the cockpit it is outstanding especially at night. The systems are incredible and like some said the automation part is really fun. Coupled along with the AOA training and you'll be up and running in no time. The only things I missed when flying it were the PMDG options in the MCDU, that is a pretty cool thing in the NGX. I think this product is well worth the $80

Gavin Price

I would usually say pick the aircraft that fits your route needs, if you're a long-hauler go for the MD-11 if you're looking for short hauls go with the NGX, since you will be charting your own cargo flights, this does not apply so much.

I think you will be very pleased with the MD-11, it might take some getting used to moving away from the "boeing" way, but it's well worth it once you learn the systems (The systems themselves are not hard, I would say just...different)

If you're looking for a beautiful, powerful, flexible, fun aircraft, you cant go wrong.

As others have mentioned with the power-weight ratio, you're not going to be AS restricted in your departures/destinations as you would in the 744, a little more than the 737 though, of course.

if you have not done so, maybe check out some YouTube videos of the systems, autopilot, etc. It might just be enough to give you that "nudge"

Blue skies!

Steven

Nice or what?

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

It's a shame no version 2 is planned for the MD11, nothing much really needs to be done except minor things like dynamic braking, vc textures, adding NGX style menus in the FMC. The systems are already top quality.

Rob Prest

I own both.

Go for the MD-11, for me that's a no-brainer...

Of course the NGX is a better add-on, but personally I don't really like the 737 in general (never did and probably never will...)

It's a shame no version 2 is planned for the MD11, nothing much really needs to be done except minor things like dynamic braking, vc textures, adding NGX style menus in the FMC. The systems are already top quality.

100% agree with you Rob,

I'm considering buying FSDT KORD just to fly tutorial 2

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Installing the MD-11 now. I don't doubt I'll be impressed. Don't worry... NGX will get there eventually - after the 777 & DC6.

Cheers

Mike

The MD-11 is alot of airplane and you will find it handles much differently on landings. If you like big planes, longer routes this one is for you. It just has so much eye candy and big plane qualities. You will nn to read up on the systems eg. fuel icing and balance. It has the long term qualities for a simulation and will not get out dated anytime soon.

Done the first circuit by guess work. Touched down on the 1,000' markers.

And again on the 2,000' markers. Less than 400'/min so I'll take it!

I can see this doing a lot of miles.

"Aerosoft has it on sale right now for about $55. So now I am trying to figure out if its for me or not also."

ughhhhh... you just had to mention that didnt you .

ZORAN

Nice or what?

awesome sound!

ZORAN