Sign in to follow this  
Ehmjo

VATSIM sound option?

Why oh why are people complicating? 2nd soundcard costs almost nothing nowdays, or even simpler, an USB headset (costs a liiiiittle bit more), or this. You can separate VATSIM easily with that.

Some soundcards even allows the user to use the front panel audio plugs for voice while using the rear audio panel plugs for the speakers. Check your motherboard (soundcard) manual

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Step 1: Receive a message you find hard to understand from Vatsim ATC.

Step 2: Press "Q"

Step 3: Ask ATC to repeat

Step 4: profit!

As an ATCer, I want to reach through my headset and strangle those who give me a "say again" every time I issue a command. Set your system up so that you can hear everything properly, people.

or get a USB headset which works as a single plug in-and play second sound card.

But seriously, this is a Vatsim or Windows or PC Hardware related question.

(emphasis mine)

Exactly.

Why oh why are people complicating? 2nd soundcard costs almost nothing nowdays, or even simpler, an USB headset (costs a liiiiittle bit more), or this. You can separate VATSIM easily with that.

Thank you! I was thinking the exact same thing.

In the real plane, you normally have ATC in your ear, and the ambient noise surrounding you. Granted, you could have ATC over the PA, but even that is different in the real world because it's not all crammed into two speakers. A USB headset costs what...$15 now? If you're going to drop $70 on an add-on, it shouldn't be an issue of affordability. If it is, you might want to reconsider your priorities.

Kyle Rodgers

As an ATCer, I want to reach through my headset and strangle those who give me a "say again" every time I issue a command. Set your system up so that you can hear everything properly, people.

Thats not a very healthy way of looking at it in my experience. You should be grateful that they ask you to say it again, they could of course just pretend that they heared it, reply roger or something equally stupid. When they ask you to say again it shows that they actually care. Remember that the VATSIM voice protocol is not very good and breaks happen frequently, not to mention the terrible sound quality when the audio is not breaking

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Thats not a very healthy way of looking at it in my experience. You should be grateful that they ask you to say it again, they could of course just pretend that they heared it, reply roger or something equally stupid. When they ask you to say again it shows that they actually care. Remember that the VATSIM voice protocol is not very good and breaks happen frequently, not to mention the terrible sound quality when the audio is not breaking

Wim,

I didn't say I got upset when people ask me to repeat myself. I appreciate knowing the person heard me, and if that takes a second time here and there, I understand.

What I did say, however, is that if after every transmission I hear "say again," I begin to get irritated. I can't think of a case where it would be appropriate to require an ATCer to repeat your information multiple times for each transmission.

Selective listening does take some time, but it's not too hard to key onto your callsign and pay attention. As far as connections go, VATSIM has been running acceptably since dial up. Connections can be choppy at times, but very rarely are they so bad that you have to request the information again each and every time.

-If your attention is elsewhere (video game, movie, etc.) quit whatever you're doing. That can be quitting the game, movie, or VATSIM.

-If it's a sound issue: fix it using the suggestions above. I don't fly in the real world using the PA and hand mic because I can't communicate effectively. People should mirror that here on VATSIM.

-If it's a connection issue: It's 2012. Fix it. I'm on a fiber cable with a tested 25/25 connection. The connection between me and the network is just fine. We even have a dedicated voice server for our controllers now.

Kyle Rodgers

Some soundcards even allows the user to use the front panel audio plugs for voice while using the rear audio panel plugs for the speakers. Check your motherboard (soundcard) manual

Yep and this is exactly what I use! Back jacks for the aircraft/systems and microphone, front audio plug for comms (be it TS/ATC/whatever). Doing this on an asus crosshair II formula motherboard, with soundcard that came with it.

I just hope this is not a serious suggestion! If you did that in real world, you wouldn't keep your job for a long time!

I just hope this is not a serious suggestion!

I don't think it was - look at the next lines down and you'll see his real answer below his sig.

Kyle Rodgers

Nevertheless. I am thinking like you - nothing more tiresome on VATSIM than people asking to repeat since they didn't understand, and this happening in a fly-in on Heahtrow is almost unbearable. Not only for the ATC. ATC will usually tell you something "nice".

I just hope this is not a serious suggestion! If you did that in real world, you wouldn't keep your job for a long time!

Then agani, RW if you don't question an ATC clearance you do not understand or can not perform you will be in far greater problem when you cause an incident and get your license on the line, compared to if you use the perfectyly legit phrase "say again".

It's there for a reason, no it isn't to help people who can't fly with ATC (depsite it sometimes being used like that), but to claim the use of "say again" RW would get you to lose your job is just plain wrong. If you don't get it you have to ask, especially in real world when real people are involved!

Of course, I didn't say don't ask if you didn't understand... doing it often/repeatedly is what I see as troubling. You seriously think that if you said to ATC "say again" each 2nd time they said something (except if you are experiencing technical difficulties etc, not in normal OPS), that you would keep your job or wouldn't be sent to medical? I just hope you are not serious...

Trent Hopkinson

or get a USB headset which works as a single plug in-and play second sound card.

But seriously, this is a Vatsim or Windows or PC Hardware related question.

You do know what pressing Q does don't you?

I'm pretty sure you can't press the letter Q on the keyboard on a real plane and expect all the engine sound, wind sound etc to go away.

But yes, try that in a real plane if you can! You might be able to get 727's, Tu154's and other old jet airliners to meet noise requirements if they are silent :D

Trent Hopkinson

Then agani, RW if you don't question an ATC clearance you do not understand or can not perform you will be in far greater problem when you cause an incident and get your license on the line, compared to if you use the perfectyly legit phrase "say again".

It's there for a reason, no it isn't to help people who can't fly with ATC (depsite it sometimes being used like that), but to claim the use of "say again" RW would get you to lose your job is just plain wrong. If you don't get it you have to ask, especially in real world when real people are involved!

It's the PNF's responsibility to handle with ATC. Even then the Skipper is listening out to follow out the instructions given practically. So on Vatsim it does get tough for those with minimal multitasking skills. In the RW when I'm manuevering whilst on SoCal Dep/App I may miss a call, I'll simply say something like "Sorry could you repeat that please". No pilot is perfect ALL the time, but asking ATC to repeat an instruction every time must be pretty annoying for the controller.

Regarding clearances, they're wrote down no matter what. I've heard people obviously trying to remember a clearance out of JFK, pretty funny to think that those people think that's how it's done in the real world. Don't get me started on Heathrow, I know a few guys that control there on Vatsim and hate it half the time. Director couldn't vector me once as these idiots on the ground had NO clue.

ATC is a very important part of flying, without it you can't fly. Have some respect for the controllers. They always go home after their shift.

You do know what pressing Q does don't you?

I'm pretty sure you can't press the letter Q on the keyboard on a real plane and expect all the engine sound, wind sound etc to go away.

You are hopefully aware I am not talking about the Q button but rather often repeating...