Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Multicrew, whats the latest?

I would love to have multicrew, even though the Maddog08 MC isn't perfect I still had a blast doing hops in it with a friend and its an awesome experience to actually use CRM and since we both follow airline SOP's we actually clicked well on the flight. I plan on flying the 777 mostly on domestic routes (any flight over 8-9 hours is boring for me) it will be neat to trade between PF and PNF for the 4-5 flights in a day.

Plus I love to hand fly and manually handle the throttles so having someone reliable to handle the systems, gear, flaps, etx will be a major asset, I don't have to have prefect phraseology that FS2crew seems to require.

I bought FS2Crew for the MD-11 in a year or two back. I lost the installer a few OS installs back. It just isn't fun.

Hi if you lost your installer and want it back just go to your account and download it again if you need it thats is

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Shared cockpit is something I'm intensely interested in. Imagine a flight on VATSIM with a real fo or captain. I'm not sure about many folks here but my adoration for flying is not something I get to share with anyone outside of these forums.

Just one more large addition to realism.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Doesn't it lag? I mean, if you have two people using different systems then won't the slower system cause delay in the newer system? For example, if my system is slower and I turn on the strobe lights in the cockpit, will it take a while to show the strobes on in the other system, or will it happen instantly?

For example, if my system is slower and I turn on the strobe lights in the cockpit, will it take a while to show the strobes on in the other system, or will it happen instantly?

I can ping servers in Australia from Washington DC with a max latency of 43ms, with an average of 29ms, so the network communication wouldn't be the source of the lag, really. Also, it's important to note that low frame rates doesn't necessarily mean that the background coding and interactions will be laggy.

Using your example, if you system is laggy, and you click the strobes, it would take about 30ms for that packet to hit my computer (which I'll say isn't laggy, just for the example's sake). As such, it would happen nearly instantaneously. In the reverse direction, if I turned them back off, it would take 30ms to hit your computer, which will instantly apply that change, but it may not be displayed in the sim graphically because of your system's lag.

I'd say nearly instantaneous is a good answer for all cases.

Kyle Rodgers

Through my experiences in the leonardo maddog multicrew, if you have a ping under 130ms between the both connections, it will work great. When you have an unreliable connection or packet loss is when multicrew can be a nightmare.

Doesn't it lag? I mean, if you have two people using different systems then won't the slower system cause delay in the newer system? For example, if my system is slower and I turn on the strobe lights in the cockpit, will it take a while to show the strobes on in the other system, or will it happen instantly?

Maybe -- probably just like when you talk to someone on Teamspeak or Skype, and they have a slower computer than you, their speaking is always so much s l o w e r.

I believe the OP "Correctly" referred to the system as "MULTICREW" because this is what PMDG chose to call their proposed version of "Shared Cockpit", when it was originally presented as a possibility for the PMDG 737NGX.

However, it would appear that "Multicrew" ended up being unachievable by the PMDG developers.

:t0152:

My contribution to this discussion is, Multiple Crew/shared cockpit in a fully functioning airliner with FMS on Vatsim is really a lot of fun.

How fun? Here's a little preview.

I'm using FSX in Windows 7 64bit on an i5 3570 with 8GB ram and a GTX670. My "First Officer" is using FS9 in Windows 7 32 bit on an... um... old... system with 2GB ram and no idea what graphics card. It's generally fine.

Lag is possible to his screen, but if I'm the "Pilot Flying" his sim is 'forced' to 'catch up' to mine. If he is pilot flying my system will lock position with the PF computer and sometimes it's speed will "Stutter" a bit to 'catch up' to the position of the PF aircraft.

The connection is always controlled by the PF (Pilot Flying) aircraft, although you can swap the PF between the pilots (which usually causes maybe a 0.01 second "Pause" while it switches. In normal use this is not a factor (since you would be unlikley to be swapping PF/PNF roles every few seconds).

also: That little "random pausing" thing that I thought was lag, was actually being caused by something too silly. A book on my desk had pushed the pause/break button on my keyboard in such a way that it was partially trapped under the structure of the keyboard and kept activating the Pause button lightly.

Trent Hopkinson

Trent

Agreed, it does not get much better. GREAT "Shared Cockpit Video" -- one of the best I have yet seen.

Once you have experienced this sort of Shared Cockpit environment, with another HUMAN (as opposed to a computer program), there is no going back.

All it now needs is more pilots on Vatsim, and more Vatsim Controllers, so that Vatsim ATC can more regularly have different controllers on different frequencies, for Center/Appr/Tower/Gnd/CD.

What came across well in the Video, is how much enjoyment both pilots were having, and the great learning experience that that session was, as the pilots supported each other, and exchanged their knowledge.

Once again -- GREAT VIDEO -- thanks for producing it and sharing it with us.

My contribution to this discussion is, Multiple Crew/shared cockpit in a fully functioning airliner with FMS on Vatsim is really a lot of fun.

That's what I'm talking about! Nice video thanks for sharing. Really looking forward to doing this... I'd buy the MD80 just to do more of this (although I'm hoping PMDG products will have this feature).

I subscribed to your channel and hope to see more like this!

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma