Sign in to follow this  
SkipperMac

Wake Turbulance, Thermals and Up and Downdrafts

I've been reading up on Active Sky 2012 versus REX Essentials (and its various other versions). Basically, so far as I can ascertain, there really isn't much overall difference meaning that it's a significant UPGRADE going from REX to AS2012. REX *might* have the edge when it comes to graphics, AS2012 *might* have the edge when it comes to speed.

However, the one thing that AS2012 seems to have that REX doesn't (and no mention of it coming in the future) is Wake Turbulance, Thermal generation, Updrafts and Downdrafts ... and yet it's the one thing that I have seen no mention of.

Does anyone have any experience of these, and an assessment of their value or 'believability'? I'm particularly interested in the up and downdrafts as I like to hang around at low level in the mountains, although thermals and wake turbulance could also inject another interesting distraction into vfr flying.

SkipperMac

Wake turbulence and up and downdrafts need to be used at very low settings - they tend to be a bit extreme. Thermals can be great if you are flying a glider...

DJ

The main feature against REX is historical weather what I use 95% of all flights.

I come home at evening and want to fly in the mornings foggy weather - no problem!

I want a nice thunderstorm I remember last spring - no problem!

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main feature against REX is historical weather what I use 95% of all flights.

I come home at evening and want to fly in the mornings foggy weather - no problem!

I want a nice thunderstorm I remember last spring - no problem!

Yes, that's a factor that makes Active Sky 2012 attractive, although I understand it's coming in an update to REX soon. I'm in the UK, but fly mostly in PNW and AK, so the weather is always out of synch.Have you any experience of thermals or downdrafts, etc.?

SkipperMac

REX and "soon" ^_^

Hifi has Datas till 2006 if I'm right informed. But of course REX has to start at one point and normally I do not use Datas earlier then a half year.

What do you mean with out of sync?

I do not fly there, so I can't tell.

I like the thermals and drafts a lot as they make the flight not so "sterile". Flying over a wood or water you could recognize it.

A sudden "jump" here and there makes a lot of realism.

With the wake turbulances you have to be careful, as an other poster said, but set it to 2 or 3% percent is ok ...

Guenter Steiner

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester

'm in the UK, but fly mostly in PNW and AK, so the weather is always out of synch.

Hello

With As2012 that problem is solved, which is why I use it, Like Guenter I fly in the evening after work so I need the historical playback that AS2012 provides.

Wake turbulence and up and downdrafts need to be used at very low settings - they tend to be a bit extreme. Thermals can be great if you are flying a glider...

DJ

My wake turbulence is set at 100%.

Up/downdraft is set at 50%

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

My wake turbulence is set at 100%.

Up/downdraft is set at 50%

Ouch!! A real glutton for punishment Big%20Grin.gif

Yea LOL. It's not that bad though except when landing a cessna after a 747 has just taken off.Even with the separation control with super traffic board it can get a little hairy.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png