Sign in to follow this  
GHD

Why are all topics labelled "Started by ..."?

FYI, on my system in good ol XP 64 using IE8 I see this problem. On my sons laptop running windows 7 and IE9 the forum displays properly. It is definately something with a change they have made to the forum. I had issues when they started the faces of avsim option and was told the same thing... "it works fine on my machine so it must be yours" even though several people had the same problem. I hope they can get this sorted out as this issue has made it impossible to read the forums at all.

Also, I am sure it is a IE8 problem as Google Chrome works fine with AVSIM.

Jim Wenham

It is very seldom there is an issue with the Avsim Forum.

I appreciate that is it often improved upon, and updated, to provide additional features, and keep it one of the best forums on the Internet.

Yes, an occasional update or change causes an issue, but the dedicated guys that run the forum are always quick to correct any issues that arise.

"No pain - No Gain"

Next time you feel like the Avsim forum is not all it should be , just check out the "official" Prepar3D forum, and you will quickly appreciate just how good the Avsim forum is by comparison, and how well it is maintained.

For anyone interested, the ERROR message I get with IE8 (after turniung on display page error messages) is:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; ub2; SIMBAR={5009E2D7-1442-4EB0-811C-B606FB478BE5}; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET4.0E)

Timestamp: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 14:58:44 UTC

Line: 3043

Char: 9

Code: 0

URI: http://ajax.googleap....7/prototype.js

function setStyle(element, styles) {
element = $(element);
var elementStyle = element.style, match;
if (Object.isString(styles)) {
 elementStyle.cssText += ';' + styles;
 if (styles.include('opacity')) {
 var opacity = styles.match(/opacity:\s*(\d?\.?\d*)/)[1];
 Element.setOpacity(element, opacity);
 }
 return element;
}
for (var property in styles) {
 if (property === 'opacity') {
 Element.setOpacity(element, styles[property]);
 } else {
 var value = styles[property];
 if (property === 'float' || property === 'cssFloat') {
	 property = Object.isUndefined(elementStyle.styleFloat) ?
	 'cssFloat' : 'styleFloat';
 }
 elementStyle[property] = value; //<<<< LINE 3043
 }
}
return element;
}

----------------

If this is really what is causing the issues, then it may be more a GOOGLE error than an AVSIM error !!!

Not blaming anyone here, just wanted to point it out, and is there a way to fix it? B)

Cheers

Martin

Line: 3043

Char: 9

Code: 0

URI: http://ajax.googleap....7/prototype.js

This is a known problem with IE8 (do a Google search to confirm that statement if you wish) and not one we have control over. As Geoff points out, this is an issue of IE8 accepting AJAX. AJAX is found everywhere. IE8 is obsolete. If you wish to continue seeing these kinds of issues, continue using IE8. We do not support it, and we will be putting out a formal statement and a notice on our signup page about that non-support. We have gotten tired of users, as have been seen here today, blaming and scouraging us for performance issues related to their browsers that we have no control over. If you want proper functionality here, then my only suggestion is to keep your browser up to date.

Not blaming anyone here, just wanted to point it out, and is there a way to fix it? B)

Cheers

Martin

Yes, dump IE8.

IE8 is obsolete. If you wish to continue seeing these kinds of issues, continue using IE8. We do not support it, and we will be putting out a formal statement and a notice on our signup page about that non-support.If you want proper functionality here, then my only suggestion is to keep your browser up to date.

Yes, dump IE8.

What??? I use Win XP and the MOST UP TO DATE Internet Explorer I can use is IE8! Why should I be forced to install another browser when IE8 works well with all other sites? This is really disappointing!

James Goggi

Tom -your response in that last message implies that we should not bother you with this as Avsim cannot be the culprit. .

Read the messages that follow yours. I am not implying anything. I am saying that if you are using IE8, there is nada we can do for you. Change browsers. No subtlety there.

Until this morning it worked perfectly with IE8! What change has been made to the Forum TODAY that causes IE8 not to work any more???

James Goggi

Until this morning it worked perfectly with IE8! What change has been made to the Forum TODAY that causes IE8 not to work any more???

No changes were made to the forums. The changes appear to have been made via the AJAX engine by Google.

No changes were made to the forums. The changes appear to have been made via the AJAX engine by Google.

Isn't it time to dump AJAX?

Just a side-note regarding whatever changes Google may have made, when using the back button to exit out of a thread or sub-forum there use to be a pronounced delay of about 8-10 seconds. Now when I go backwards the refresh is "back to normal", which means no irritating delay.

Firefox user here!

For all those using XP, who cannot upgrade your IE8 --- do not despair.

Many website do not render correctly with IE8 or even IE9, so the obvious solution is to install a better browser. ie FireFox or Chrome.

Far better Browsers, (FREE), and works fine with XP.

Note: The only thing that IE is good for (IMHO) are "Windows Updates" !!

Yup, do not despair.

I have IE8 installed, along with latest versions of Firefox, GoogleChrome, Opera and Sea Monkey. I really dislike IE9 and will not use it - plus you can't use it in Win XP, and most of the systems I use are XP or Linux.....

Just install Firefox or GoogleChrome (or Opera, or Sea Monkey) and you can use it along with your IE (whatever version you have). IE has been completely surpassed by the other browsers in terms of security, reliability and speed. I don't really use IE at all anymore, any one of the other browsers listed above is simply much better.

I'm sorry that we will no longer be able to support the proper running of the forums and main page on IE8. But this is due to things outside of our control.

The AVSIM library - http://library.avsim.net/

continues to work perfectly with IE8.

EDIT:

A note regarding AJAX - its increasing use in websites causes more freezing and crashing with older browsers and some can experience a little slower site loading speeds irrespective of what they try with their systems.

There is a browser that's been specifically developed for ultra speed - Avant http://www.avantbrowser.com/

It does offer some very nice multitasking features and is the lowest memory usage web browser for Windows. I've tested it with all AVSIM and it works well. It is the fastest browser I've used so far. If you're into internet speed, dislike webpage freezes and have limited patience, like myself :lol:, to wait for slightly slower page display - give it a try!