Sign in to follow this  
Guest BeaverDriver

Another Classic Idea?

Guest BeaverDriver

Just looking at the types of airplanes out "there" for use in FSX and looking very much forward to the DC 6, I realized that there are very few really good cargo machines available for FSX. I know there are one or two other developers that have done some and while they are decent and the developers worked to the best of their abilities, I'm looking for really high end, top quality sims to use that are more along the lines of PMDG style. So with that in mind, could I suggest as possible future considerations, the Convair CV580 (with a cargo variant, or even cargo only as not many/any(?) are used for pax service anymore) OR the Lockheed Electra L188 (cargo/convertible). I think they would be well received and a lot of both types are still flying, particularly as cargo machines.

Thanks very much. Just an idea. ^_^

Rob mentioned that there will be a classic line of products that will be released occasioary in between their big airliners.

I'm actually ecxited about that since these kind of aircraft have to be flown completely different - you have to manage the power and juggle temperatures and pressures and that sounds like a lot of fun for me.

Yes, a Convair or Electra would be nice but presonally I'd want to see a Super Constellation since it was the competitor of the DC-6 back in those 'glory' days...

I remember playing FS2002 when I was twelve, not even knowing a single thing about navigation or the principles of flight.

Then I started to learn some basic navigation through tutorials on YouTube and the first lesson I learned was the VOR navigation and triangulation - rather simple though. Flying VOR to VOR manually in VFR conditions is something different...

PMDG actually could contact Buffalo Airways and ask them for a photo survey. This would mean that they would be able to model every aircraft they operate.

*runs to get the popcorn*

I'll be taking bets on suggestions here. Place your bets here!

Variations on bets and their associated spreads can be made by the number of mentions and assertions of order (e.g. "Yeah, I'd like the L188, but I'd want an Airbus first).

I've got money on a mention of Airbus by the end of the page.

Glenn,

I like those ideas. I love the classics, but I don't see it happening, in my opinion. I'd love it to, but I feel like they're going for the more recognizable names in the marketplace (they said "aircraft you could see at your local airport," more specifically). Unfortunately, the marketplace isn't always the most knowledgeable, so sales of some really cool aircraft might not go so well, as was the case for the MD-11.

To some degree, I have a feeling that if they were considering a few options behind the scenes and were still trying to decide, posts like this could be the tipping point they need. So, despite my little bit of sarcasm at the start, I do see these threads as having a purpose, provided they stay sensical.

Just my take.

Kyle Rodgers

Guest BeaverDriver

<LOL> Yeah, Kyle, pick up some popcorn for me too, will ya :P ? I too am hoping this doesn't turn into a, "I want this instead" thread. I'd like to keep it to these 2 aircraft and get yays or nays really. Otherwise PMDG gets a list of 300 airplanes rather than a solid idea that has or doesn't have support. Don't know what my chances of that are, but here's hoping.

I know what you mean about "commonality" of aircraft, but honestly, CV580's now are seen at a lot of airports that have cargo terminals (big and small). We have one come into the airport I work at and it's not much above a regional sized strip (long enough runways that 737-700's and 727-200's come in - the latter of which is cargo). The Electra is maybe a little less common now, and personally between the two I'd prefer the CV580 because they are more common and they are a twin and can probably get into smaller airstrips. I know Channel Express uses the Electra and the F27 for cargo but they aren't the only ones for certain. However, your point is well taken, but if we can keep this thread to a "yay" or "nay" for the types listed and not have "alternatives" filling up the pages, it will help make things a little clearer for PMDG rather than them seeing yet another thread of an endless stream of different machines <_< . Here's hoping.

Now, where did I put my pop ^_^ ?

Got your point, Beaverdiver.

So regarding those two aircrafts you suggested, it must be a nay from me.

If PMDG should prioritise their development resources, please give us some modern Airbusses!

If I want to fly cargo and/or classic, there is so much fine freeware to be found for FS9.

BR,

Anders

How about a wood pidgeon? I see a big lack in that segment of the fs-world, oh wait, they are allready doing one! :LMAO:

I mean here we go again, hering people scream for an Airbus, DC or whatever...or do you refere to an Airbus as a 'classic'? :LMAO:

To my knowledge, no one ever made a Douglas DC8 (other than the excellent freeware HJG), the 707 and 727 have been covered already...

I think a Convair 580 would be an excellent choice. There is a real lack of medium/large turboprops for FSX. As Beaverdriver points out there are still quite a few Convairs still in service.

From Glenn's OP, definitely the Convair. But then he had to go and mention the F27, which is and will remain top of my wish list... Both were common in their day. The buses have a long way to go before they reach 'classic' status.

Honestly I would love any aircraft PMDG makes, as 85% of the fun is learning HOW to fly the aircraft and learning the various systems(to me anyways). I would be in favor of these two aircraft. They both have really cool and unique cockpits. The Convair panel reminds me slightly of the old boeing cockpits such as the 707, 727, and 737 classic.

Jeez - where to start ! The DC-6 is a must have for me. If PMDG are serious about continuing with a classic line, then as a child of the late 50's there's so much I'd like to see.

The CV580 is a very nice suggestion - on a personal level, other than that in terns of props, a PMDG standard DC-3 or C-46 would make me a happy man. If we're talking jets then a DC-8 or a DC-10 would be marvellous. But as posters above have pointed out, an endless stream of I want a ...(whatever) posts isn't particularly helpful

Ultimately, I'd have thought any decisions about future classics would be limited, based on a combination of a) what's likely to sell and B) what type(s) they can obtain access to.

Given the length of their development cycles and present plans we're talking a long long way off for anything on a wish list

dehavilland dhc 3 turbine otter or classic otter

the grumman goose G21 trigear

the britten norman islander bn2 original

chad hittenberger aka duchman