Sign in to follow this  
Kaly

Orbx England What Do You Think?

Just looked at the review and saw this "VFR UK is on-top of UTX-GEX. So they are compatible but really you don’t see much difference. I don’t use UTX-GEX for this region." (bolding by me).

I missing something here! But there's no need for explanation. :lol:

UTX road traffic, lights and extruded bridges do indeed show up on top of Photo Scenery :)

Cheers, Andy.

Finally, after 3 downloads and a complete re-install of FSX it's working.

Download 1 although appearing to be complete, it unpacked unusually slowly and when the exe was clicked froze the computer to the point where even ALT+CTRL+DEL would not work.

Download 2 unpacked ok and the checksum checked and the product installed. This is when all my problems started. I took off from EGLL and headed for the city. All the regular buildings had completely disappeared. I promptly went back to default but there was no change. After posting here, one of the Devs offered help if I went to their forum. I just couldn't be bothered to create yet another login and their are far too many red warnings on their forum website for my taste so I proceeded to have an extremely long night of trying what I knew and could find out, all to no avail.

As FSX was installed to Programme Files x86 I decided a complete winter cleanup was in order.

This all proceeded rather quickly and after installing only the addons and scenery I use, I downloaded EU ENG for a third time!

Whoopie... This time all is well. Now I can finally get round to finding my house (haha) only joking, I mean evaluating said product.

What have I learned? Not every install works as it should. Kept a backup. ORBX does not have an uninstall option. The backup it made of my scenery.cfg did not work. Their offer of help (somewhere above) was limited to their forums. This is my first ever ORBX product and I'm happy to forget the past. I don't have a clue why this happened. I guess it could happen to anyone anytime. It is an install after all. I'm also, not having a go at them as I'm putting it down to 'one of those things.'

To anyone that's bothered to read this moan, I'm sorry for banging on and on and thank you for listening, as I feel so much better now :)

Ouch... that gotta hurt some dev somewhere... ^_^

Hee hee, just shows, I've never flown in default scenery since first getting FSX!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

This guy is usually extremely fair in his evaluations. In his opinion this one is a stinker.

http://fsxtimes.word...disappointment/

Wow - comprehensive. LOL :Applause:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion I guess.

I've watched a lot of great movies over the years whilst they've been bashed by critics.

Just my two cents.

Jas

Jaseman. Lovin it up here........

Catch us over at MassieSim32 -> https://discord.gg/B4buuHGhcr

Just don't go to Africa with FTX-EU enabled...

Glad i saw this at a friend's before purchasing it. Meh. It's ridiculous having to enable and disable scenery while flying... They surely can do better than that....

africa.jpg

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Just don't go to Africa with FTX-EU enabled...

Just switch FTX central to default,when outside Orbx regions,Nuno! <_<

Just switch FTX central to default,when outside Orbx regions,Nuno! <_<

Um, no? That's exactly what i'm saying, they can do better than that, i do NOT want to switch scenery everytime i want to fly... Imagine i want to fly from England to Algiers - Switching scenery while flying? Not gonna happen.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Wow - comprehensive. LOL :Applause:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion I guess.

I've watched a lot of great movies over the years whilst they've been bashed by critics.

Just my two cents.

Jas

Of course you'd say that, based on your sig. I don't have any FTX scenery so I posted that so people could read another opinion. If I would have found or seen a good review I would have posted that too. I hear and read way to many bad things like people being perma banned for bringing up g3d.dll errors to purchase any yet.

they can do better than that, i do NOT want to switch scenery everytime i want to fly

I disagree. Switching sceneries between radically different regions within FSX is the only way to have the kind of local realism with such high fidelity standards that ORBX achieves. It is a small price to pay for having the areas around Cairns, Milford Sound, Darrington and the cliffs of Dover each looking so individually life-like and spectacular.

I admit it's certainly not as ideal as reality. But who has real airplanes to fly to these real parts of the world as often and as freely as we do with FSX? It is what it is, and it is the best there is for what it is. Right? B)

Kind regards,

Um, no? That's exactly what i'm saying, they can do better than that, i do NOT want to switch scenery everytime i want to fly... Imagine i want to fly from England to Algiers - Switching scenery while flying? Not gonna happen.

If you flat out just don't want to do it then I'm not sure what option you've got.

If I do a long haul from FTX AUS to FTX NA I save my flight after leaving AUS then restart with NA selected. Easy......

Jas

Ok here's a question - can you change Orbx regions or turn them off entirely while the sim is running or do you have to restart FS?

Ok here's a question - can you change Orbx regions or turn them off entirely while the sim is running or do you have to restart FS?

Yeah its a good question - I've asked over in ORBX land.

If it can be done we will soon find out.

Jas

If you flat out just don't want to do it then I'm not sure what option you've got.

If I do a long haul from FTX AUS to FTX NA I save my flight after leaving AUS then restart with NA selected. Easy......

Jas

Definitely not for me. Saving games is for games not for my type of simulation and besides saving a situation with most complex addons will just screw up the simulation and your flight.

I managed to have FTX AU and FTX NA enabled at the same time through some painful terrain.cfg modifications and hacking between the BGL files - I would probably manage to fit FTX EU in the middle, but that's not my job, that's Orbx's job. If i can do it, why can't they?

Shame, but i'll have to pass this one, it really looks great but i want my scenery available 100% of the time.

From the FSX Alt menu World -> Scenery Library, check/uncheck scenery and carry on, that's how I took the two shots above.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com