Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Kane

Stunning shot of an ANZ 747

That was the very first storm, 24 hours ago, around 11am local, sky turned dark, severe lightning and rain of biblical proportions for an hour.

It then cleared up to a mostly sunny day, high humidity, gusty winds, all the ingredients for a massive follow up storm later in the day, and what we got was exactly that!

New storm hit at 8pm and lasted until midnight, would love to see how many lightning hits were recorded!

Matt that is rare.

I had thought ANZ had retired their 747-400 fleet a few years ago. Looks like a couple left......That will be classic that photo.

My photo here from an Airside tour in 2001. YBBN.

Matt that is rare.

I had thought ANZ had retired their 747-400 fleet a few years ago. Looks like a couple left......That will be classic that photo.

My photo here from an Airside tour in 2001. YBBN.

True, that shot will be a classic.

The only reason why the ANZ 747-400 is not retired yet is Boeing is late on delivering the 787-900's to ANZ. otherwise they would have retired them already, as well as a few of the 767's...The late delivery of the 787's gave them a 'stay of execution':

http://www.flightglo...until-2014.html

Matthew Kane

Airside tour in 2001. YBBN.

How did you get an airside tour?

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Pre-flight check. The pilot just switched to external power source.

Lol too true.

Amazing rare photograph

Yeah, the storms here yesterday were massive, there were hailstones the size of tennis balls coming down on windows and cars, and pools of water about 5cm deep all around the house.

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Some strong weather going around, we had a giant tornado waterspout off the south coast of NSW yesterday. Never seen that before in this area.

Some strong weather going around, we had a giant tornado waterspout off the south coast of NSW yesterday. Never seen that before in this area.

Apparently they are quite common on the North Coast Dan.

How did you get an airside tour?

Kevin,

They used to have Airside tours in Brisbane by a private operator, similar to YSSY. Not sure when they stopped. Hope someone here can shed some light on it.

I wonder why it hit the stabilizer and not the rudder, given that its higher up and also made out of metal.

Either way though, amazing photo. Surprised the camera man did not drop the camera with the bang that would have made.

I wonder why it hit the stabilizer and not the rudder, given that its higher up and also made out of metal.

it didn't hit the aircraft at all. It struck the ground well behind the aircraft. The picture is just a really well lined up fluke that makes it look that way.

What are the odds eh B)

Matthew Kane