Sign in to follow this  
voron

Weather reports while in flight

This might be a wrong place to post but I am curios if there is any gauge or anything that can be added to pmdg aircraft or for that matter to any other that you could during long flights request weather report on destination airport. So for example u are taking off sfo to JFK and in 4 hours weather changes so you planned for one approach but weather changes and you need to choose different runway to land at etc it would be cool to punch in icao and get weather report and maybe landing runway etc. is there such gauge available, bit annoying to swap to desktop and get weather updates from web

What do you guys do or use?

Thanks

Andrei

OPUS weather has a feature where you can see destination and alternate weather via an Add-on menu option.

I also use OpusFSX Live Weather Engine. For long flights, I don't plan the arrival procedure right from the start, but wait until approx. 20 miles from my Top of Descent. Opus allows entering destination and alternate airports, and you can check the corresponding METAR reports from within FSX. A simple alternative would be to enter "METAR KJFK" in Google and get the Metar from there. Of course, this only makes sense if you're using real world weather in FSX.

Stefan Keller
ngxu_banner.png                 

ugcx_banner.png

Yeah, there's one built right into the sim, too!

It's called an ATIS.

One of the simisms I fight all the time while on VATSIM is "Uhh DC Center [sic], can you tell us what runway is in use at IAD tonight?" What they leave out of that transmission is "so that we can program it into our idiot box and blindly follow a magenta line to the ground."

The answer I give is "no, centers don't usually provide this data, and since you're still over [area far away from destination], it could change." You won't get your arrival runway until you are checking in with the TRACON*, which is generally a quarter of the way into your descent, which is normally within the range of the ATIS broadcast (though you can also get this through ACARS in the RW). Now, this is subject to change (in FAA-land) because of the pending implementation of runway-specific arrivals, but again, you're not going to get the info until closer in, anyway. Since the OP used LAX as an example, however, I'm using FAA-land in my answer.

If you're using one of ActiveSky's modes, it mentions that the ATIS will be messed up (DWC, I think), and certain AFCADs use some weird technique to force the sim to use crosswind runway that will also mess it up. In that case, I would suggest http://aviationweath...ov/adds/metars/ (there's even a little check box for TAFs). There, you'll get nearly the same exact weather digest a pilot would get (if you're not up on the METAR abbreviations, use the selection "Translated" to the right of the airport ID box).

*When flying into DCA, the first approach controller to give you this information will be the first one "in the area" (meaning, the first controller serving a sector designed for the destination airport). If you're flying in from New York, the first Mount Vernon Area (the area serving DCA) controller you speak to will pick you up over about the BAL VOR at BWI. That's only 25nm away, and that's when you get your runway assignment. Granted, anyone could look at a METAR to take a guess at what runway you're going to get and plan ahead, but I just wanted to use it as an example that you could just listen to the ATIS. That's why we have them, and that's why you should check in with the ATIS code when calling the TRACON.

Kyle Rodgers

Well, at least people usually have some sort of clue on VATSIM. What surprises me is the hordes of clueless pilots on AVSim. Most have no idea about basics, which is weird, since they have decided to fly high-realism planes like the NGX. "Look mom, I'm a pilot!" *proceeds to do loops over KJFK in airforce one* Oh well...

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Yes I am aware of the atis and all above methods my question is there like a gauge that u could pop info into get report last time I saw pilots have ability to get weather print in cockpit. Fsx atis not to great as it if not mistaken gives you info only 120 miles out or less. By which time u already start decent depending on cruise altitude etc.

So far from all answers I see everyone gets reports in various ways.

Thx

Andrei.

Fsx atis not to great as it if not mistaken gives you info only 120 miles out or less.

Which, as I mentioned, you really wouldn't be getting a runway assignment until then, anyway.

You're right though, that many aircraft are equipped to get weather data through ACARS. That at least gives you a heads up on what to expect.

I was just trying to combat the simism that you're going to be able to set in your arrival runway while you're still pretty far out.

Kyle Rodgers

Or you could do it like Ryanair does it. Call Zurich Information and ask them for weather info for the destination and all alternates and the crews hometown. :Whistle:

But back to topic, I use the AS2012 built in (122.000MHz and 122.025MHz) ATIS to get my weather information. If I fly online on IVAO I will aditionally use IVAO Webey to get the current ATIS including arrival runways.

Hi Andrei,

you could also try a freeware program called FSRealWX. I use it and am extremely pleased with it.

http://www.hanse-coders.net/?page=downloads&sid=5d2af451049e6c01cee95b345596c383&dkid=2

It is superior to the default weather generator in FSX, and can provide you with the METAR (TAF) info you seek. Give it a try.

Rgds,

Steve

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

OPUS weather has a feature where you can see destination and alternate weather via an Add-on menu option.

Nice! Did they add it in the update?

Haven't played the sim or updaten OpusFSX for a few weeks now...

FS Flight Keeper allows you to put an ACARS like gauge into any aircraft as a 2D popup panel. It gives you flight info and weather info (also winds aloft along your waypoints).

Very useful.

The interface of ActiveSky 2012 also allows you to look up the current conditions at any airport you wish. I have AS2012 running on my networked laptop so I can easily check the weather infos I need in the interface.

Mathieu Souphy

There's a free utility which provides weather reports without having to install a whole new weather programme. It's called FsTaxiNavi. Its main purpose is to help with taxiway navigation. It tells you what taxiway you are on and what turns are ahead. However it also provides a current weather report, on request, for your chosen destination airport. The report comes up in a text ribbon in the main FSX window, just like an FSX ATIS report, so you don't have to open another window.

You can find the developers website and download links by googling FsTaxiNavi.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Hi all. I use AirReport lite, which is am android program that is free (well, the lite version) and that lets you see the RW METARS and TAFS for up to 5 stations decoded or raw on your mobile. Very useful.

Also Ivap has got it's own acars system related to the IVAO network that lets you request a metar for your dep/arr airport.

I use AirReport lite, which is am android program that is free (well, the lite version) and that lets you see the RW METARS and TAFS for up to 5 stations decoded or raw on your mobile.

If go to www.aviationweather.com on your mobile, you can pull an unlimited number, decoded or raw, including TAFs, among other products. I'm all for Apps for things, but some developers like to attempt to charge for things that are already publicly and easily accessible, which bothers me.

Kyle Rodgers