Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

727 series out ! And the CIVA to go with it :-)

jcomm,

Unfortunately, FlyJSim has set too low break power on this plane, unrealistically, so that a full stop landing on LPMA with a loaded B727 is a hard task. Possible yes (I did B) ), but not easy.

If you want to know how to increase/adjust the power of the B727 break system, PM me.

There should be a scenery of the old rw at Madeira airport, former LPFU, now LPMA, where, in the late seventies early eighties the TAP's 727-100 and 200 operated regularly...

It was quite a challenge to land and takeoff from the old rw, only 1600m long, specially under adverse weather conditions and gusting winds/shear.

If you want to know how to increase/adjust the power of the B727 break system, PM me.

Thanks Emerson :-)

And consider you made your tentatives at the new/modern rw, a lot longer than the original LPFU with just 1600m, where in November 19, 1977a terrible accident happened, killing most of the occupants of a b727-200 after the aircraft apparently aquaplanned and left the rw at the opposite side after failling the landing. This was the only severe accident ever occured with TAP aircraft. The story (in Portuguese) can be found here and references to the challenging operations at the original rw here.

Regarding X-Plane10, and FSX, I completely quited using either. It simply doesn't make sense after having completely falled in love for DCS World. For the very first time in my simmer life I met a simulation platform and a powerful prop aircraft (p51d) plus an heli (BlackShark), and soon a Bell UH1 too, so perfectly/accurately modelled that I simply do not have to spend time trying to fix what is wrong, or even complaining about this or that bugs... There are certainly bugs, but, the overall quality of DCS is so superior to anything else I have ever used that... it's really pointless to come back...

Yet, I still keep my X-Plane10 Global Edition. One never knows, and maybe a miracle can happen when 2013 enters, and Austin finds time to fix those core problems that most have long reported and asked to be addressed...

Also, now that even PMDG is addressing very nice compliments at DCS, because a few elements from their team are also devoted DCS players, and may even consider starting to dev for that platform, as well as other 3pds (Iris for instance), it would be nice to see X-Aviation's tallented add-on creators turning their attention to that platform too ;-) Goran? JRollon? ...

P.S.: And there are HUGE torque effects there... but they are so accurately replicated in the sim, that, the many other factor intervening in the complex prop dynamics modelling for such a poerful aircraft make it plausible/realistic to deal with it, by the book, simply following the original manuals, instead of having to use inputs that, if used on the real thing, would be totally inadequate!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Unfortunately, FlyJSim has set too low brake power on this plane, unrealistically, so that a full stop landing on LPMA with a loaded B727 is a hard task. Possible yes (I did B) ), but not easy.

If you want to know how to increase/adjust the power of the B727 brake system, PM me.

It would be a good idea to check the ToS/EULA to confirm you're allowed to make modifications to the aircraft, or discuss modifications to the aircraft - this is sometimes prohibited.

It would be a good idea to check the ToS/EULA to confirm you're allowed to make modifications to the aircraft, or discuss modifications to the aircraft - this is sometimes prohibited.

Perhaps that's part of the don't ask, don't tell.........as described in another thread. Yet, I have a real problem with that. I can see two sides; one in which correct modeling is changed & distributed to make operation of the aircraft easier; or changes made, which correct some inaccuracies, that have previously lead users to believe that operation is more difficult than it should be.

For instance, I've seen many threads in which users of X-Plane may believe that XP has more realism because of a constant need to control straight and level flight. The plane either wants to constantly bank, or the tail is always moving side to side. For myself, as a pilot, that just gets annoying.

Going back to the 1990's, Rob Young made significant changes to the default flight models in "FLY". These became highly accepted & distributed as freeware. Rob later became one of the best flight dynamics programmers with his RealAir Simulations, that's still very popular and highly regarded today.

The point here, is to not always except the released model as being totally realistic, and not allowing any enhancements by enforced regulation. There is no way, that I could stick to those conditions.

L.Adamson

For instance, I've seen many threads in which users of X-Plane may believe that XP has more realism because of a constant need to control straight and level flight. The plane either wants to constantly bank, or the tail is always moving side to side. For myself, as a pilot, that just gets annoying.

L.Adamson

It depends on the aeroplane! One of the most difficult to keep straight and level in real life is the Spitfire.

Perhaps that's part of the don't ask, don't tell.........as described in another thread.

The point here, is to not always except the released model as being totally realistic, and not allowing any enhancements by enforced regulation. There is no way, that I could stick to those conditions.

I have to say I was very surprised to hear that there were terms and conditions for some addon aircraft that prevent you modifying products that you've purchased for your own personal use.

I can understand clauses that limit warranty and also clauses that prevent re-distribution of such modifications, but disallowing modifications (or even their discussion) really goes against the grain of a flight simming culture that generally embraces tweaks and modifications. It's that very culture that feeds back into better products being developed in future. When you kill that culture, you've killed the market for your product.

I finally found a flyjsim startup and takeoff video:

I was curious to see how sounds compared to both a real 727 takeoff video and my fs 2004 dreamfleet 727.

First off the engines sound convincing, and the startup sounds merge seamlessly into the general engine sound.

However:

- I can't quite figure out if I'm hearing wind noise dominate during the take off roll, or whether that's the engine roar. It certainly doesn't get noisier as speed picks up after take off - which I'd expect.

- When the air conditioning packs were switched on, there was no extra sound. I'd expect to hear the air coming out of the ducts.

- Trim wheel sounds are quite pronounced both in the real world videos and the dreamfleet. I think I can hear it in the above video, but I don't hear it often enough.

In real cockpit landings I hear a motorised sound on touch down. I'm guessing that's the armed spoiler lever getting deployed. Not sure if that's modelled here.

The trim-wheel noises! The signature sound of the Dreamfleet 727! That brings back memories. I loved that aircraft, but I can't go back to it, with the 1024x768 panels animating unaliased at a fixed 16fps. I remember in the Dreamfleet aircraft the aircon noise and the instrument agitators nearly masked the sound of the engines.

(Sorry for bringing up end-user modifications - it's off-topic and deserves its own thread. Good to discuss it on the neutral AVSIM forums, though.)

I would just like to say thank you for all the kind comments. I sure hope everyone enjoys the 727 Series just as much as I enjoyed making it.

I would just like to say thank you for all the kind comments. I sure hope everyone enjoys the 727 Series just as much as I enjoyed making it.

Your welcome and Happy New year :drinks:

The 727 is an amazing addon. Im having a lot of fun with it!

Rob

The 727 is an amazing addon. Im having a lot of fun with it!

Rob

Me too! I'm finding it hard to fly anything else, it's so much fun.