Sign in to follow this  
lateagain

Goodwood Released

Nothing to add really. Not really sure why of all the interesting fields the UK has they chose this one? had to start somewhere I suppose. Nearest the office? Want to see some patches for FTX ENG before I buy anything more for the UK.

Geoff

Geoff Brown

ORB-715_pic3.jpg

I'm intrigued as to how the driver of the van got out! If indeed he ever did! :rolleyes:

Ditto Geoff.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

This is a good field, although it's very difficult to find. Mixed with Opus for the weather, it looks very realistic. I did find a few funnies with the scenery, e.g.

1) There are no spawn points except the runways, so needed to setup these myself

2) In some of the textures it is possible to see reflections of the photographer who took the photographs. Not an issue, but fun non the less :-)

3) I get weird blue squares appearing around the scenery.

4) Another minor thing, some of the car models although they have UK registration numbers, have German country marks. No idea why they didn't just put GB instead of D.

This is a good field, although it's very difficult to find. Mixed with Opus for the weather, it looks very realistic. I did find a few funnies with the scenery, e.g.

1) There are no spawn points except the runways, so needed to setup these myself

How do you do that?!

3) I get weird blue squares appearing around the scenery.

This sounds like the basic problem that many are suffering from with FTX ENG itself? This is covered in one of the official FTX support threads? No solution last time I looked. Too busy with Christmas chores to look at it now but I think I spotted some myself last flight in the UK. Thought it was just my box misbehaving but maybe not?

I've looked forward to a viable alternative to the photoreal sceneries for a long time now. I really wanted to be impressed? Sadly it'll take a good bit of work from them for me to reach that. Even the printed review in PC Pilot magazine (despite an "award" and 90% "score") criticised the same things that many of us are unhappy with. I really hope they'll pull their finger out and come up with an update. IMO it's about beta+ in development terms.

Apart from too much unmowed grass (check real photo's of Goodwood against the 3D grass) Goodwood looks pretty good but at the same sort of money as ALL the airfields in the South of England from UK2000 it will have to be a field that you really want to spend time at to justify that amount of dosh? For most of us that is....... some seem to have endless resources.

BTW what's a "spawn point"? Do you mean "starting location"? When FSX is throwing one of it's "hissy fits" I often find that runways are the only option! Just looked at Sim Launcher. Check that out on the P3D forums. Works fine with FSX as well as P3D and has quite a nice friendly user interface. Sorry if I got the Spawn Point bit wrong but check it out anyway.

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff Brown

How do you do that?!

BTW what's a "spawn point"? Do you mean "starting location"?

Nothing fancy, just a starting point like GA parking 1. I just meant I use the slew feature, put the aircraft in a parking position and then save it as a new save file. Kind of strange they missed these out. The UK2000 VFR has them, which I removed to make way for this

The England scenery looks good as long as you keep the visibility turned down, which isn't hard when using real world weather. I avoid using the Autumn season because of the weird purple smudges everywhere, which I have no idea what they are supposed to be

You got me going there for a minute. There are too many airports with no parking in my opinion. I can't be that much of a chore to put a couple of spaces in....Can it?

Goodwood, the first, no, the second Orbx airport I'll pass on. The first being Alice Springs. I mean, Alice Springs, who goes there?

How do you do that?!

remember the bliksimpie files for aussiex... very easy to do and he even posted a "how to guide".

will see if I can find it somewhere in my files. I have been adding a number of these to some airports.

edit..

oops sorry i see you are passing on goodwood and might not need this

The first being Alice Springs. I mean, Alice Springs, who goes there?

Ha ha, I actually bought that, and have only been there once. Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but it's so far from anything else interesting that I haven't bothered since. I don't really enjoy flying long distance tubeliners, and prefer low and slow VFR or IFR in GA aircraft which fly below 200kts (The amazing Realair Lancair not included ;-) )

I'm guessing their next aerodrome will be something like Biggin Hill. Which is fine by me,I grew up in the North West and I avoid flying anyway near where I was born, as I'm too critical and get easily disappointed that it looks nothing like the real area.

remember the bliksimpie files for aussiex... very easy to do and he even posted a "how to guide".

will see if I can find it somewhere in my files. I have been adding a number of these to some airports.

I'd be interested in finding out how to do this.

I'd be interested in finding out how to do this.

Me too. I know how to get under the hood in MSTS but much of FSX is still new to me. Knowledge is power and all that.

Geoff Brown

edit..

oops sorry I see you are passing on Goodwood and might not need this

There are plenty of other fields with no parking, so don't hold back...Please. :)

I quite like Goodwood. With the surrounding area it is possible fly a cucuit using visual refence points.

On the default FTX airfields there's not enough features to tell where you are, with whole towns missing.

I think as it's local to the developers base they've probably gone to a bit more trouble.

(Some of up north looked a bit stange to me).

So I wasn't disappointed, but it wouldn't be my first choice of airfield for the UK.

Nothing to add really. Not really sure why of all the interesting fields the UK has they chose this one? had to start somewhere I suppose. Nearest the office? Want to see some patches for FTX ENG before I buy anything more for the UK.

Geoff

Goodwood is actually an extremely popular airfield in the UK. Home to the festival of speed and the revival, it's both unique and incredibly interesting to explore in real life. It's a very good airport to start with.

Also, Chichester is a very pretty place to fly over in reality. Very green and lush. :)