Sign in to follow this  
BartEnder

Which GTX680 for FSX? Help me choose please

Hello simmers and simmerians!

Taking the chance, I'd like to wish all of You the very best in 2013 year.

I have come to a point, I have no USB ports left and decided to do something about it...

I'd gladly get rid of Matrox TripleHead2Go (thus one current-hungry USB port) and take a chance with GTX680 but I need Your help regarding the choice...

Currently I use Gigabyte Windforce GTX580 with 3x 27" (5760x1080@50Hz) and I am pretty satisfied with the frame counter except overcast (or better yet two OVC layers) - it goes down to 10-14 FPS which is too low for final. I use 4x SGSS which my PC can handle pretty good.

Will I benefit with the GTX680 anyhow here?

I consider 4 GB model, it will be used for FSX and Rise of Flight only. These are my choices so far:

Gainward GeForce GTX 680 Phantom

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 680 AMP

ASUS GTX680-DC2G-4GD5, GeForce GTX 680

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680

Any help, guidance or recomendations would be gladly welcome!

The answer to your question is evga 4gig 680 ftw - check the hardware forum for a very recent thread (about butter) that leads you to this answer.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Before you buy it check this video:

Keep your GTX 580 .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVAgpwQSNIY

And this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=a6IrhqAceIM

I didn't experience the "red screen of death" when I upgraded from my GTX 580.

With multiple monitors, a 4GB GTX 680 is going to perform a LOT better than a GTX 580. Esp when it comes to the resolution on them the OP is using.

BartEnder - I just got a Gainward GTX 680 Phantom with 4GB. I'm running a 27" Dell U2711 and noticed quite a good improvement within FSX.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

I didn't experience the "red screen of death" when I upgraded from my GTX 580.

With multiple monitors, a 4GB GTX 680 is going to perform a LOT better than a GTX 580. Esp when it comes to the resolution on them the OP is using.

BartEnder - I just got a Gainward GTX 680 Phantom with 4GB. I'm running a 27" Dell U2711 and noticed quite a good improvement within FSX.

John, how's the 27 inch monitor?

I've got three random 24 inch moniturs that i'm about to try and get working together with nvidia surround - but have been thinking of getting 3 27inch matched monitors.

Does 27 inch seem significantly bigger than a 'standard' sized monitor when flying?

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

John, how's the 27 inch monitor?

I've got three random 24 inch moniturs that i'm about to try and get working together with nvidia surround - but have been thinking of getting 3 27inch matched monitors.

Does 27 inch seem significantly bigger than a 'standard' sized monitor when flying?

I really like it. I used to run 20" 1600x1200, then swapped to 2x 23" 1920x1080 but that was too big.

2560x1440 is in a word - awesome! Esp for FS and things like repainting etc.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

I have jumped from 3x 21.6" to 3x 27" and the improvement is vast. left and right screen have still very 'fat'n'wide' effect, but my landings become more precise, I can tell the bank angle in VFR without looking down the 'ball'. If You do have the room and few bucks, go for bigger screens as fast as You can!

I have jumped from 3x 21.6" to 3x 27" and the improvement is vast. left and right screen have still very 'fat'n'wide' effect, but my landings become more precise, I can tell the bank angle in VFR without looking down the 'ball'. If You do have the room and few bucks, go for bigger screens as fast as You can!

Thanks bart and john.

I'm comitted to triple screens now.

Thinking of triple 27, but i've been flying with a single 40 inch.

Anyone tried triple 40 inch tv 's for fsx?

Oz

Anybody able to run 3 x 27" monitors in 2550 x 1440 resolution with either the 580 or the 680 and get playable frame rates ?

I just bought the Gigabyte GTX680 4GB model. I will get back to You with the reports.

Paul123 - I did not try that big resolution, but I remember, back in the days, switching from 1x 1680x1050@60 to 3x 1680x1050@57 the FPS were almost identical (i have used Zotac AMP! GTX280 then). There were only few percent lower on the higher resolution. In both cases (one monitor and three monitors) I have used the same nVidia settings.

Of course at (or above) big hubs and in heavy clouds the framerate and smoothness dropped vastly in both cases.

Asus GTX 680 DCUII 4GB ordered last night. Can't really go wrong with that.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

The answer to your question is evga 4gig 680 ftw - check the hardware forum for a very recent thread (about butter) that leads you to this answer.

Right now I am playing with the GTX 690. Based on that, I am predict the GTX 680 would be a waste of money for FSX.

Interesting, could you please elaborate on your findings :good:

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

It would be interesting if you did a FSmark 11 test with your amazing setup Scarlett.

Right now I am playing with the GTX 690. Based on that, I am predict the GTX 680 would be a waste of money for FSX.

Why is that?

- Sent from my rooted, Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE smartphone via Tapatalk because haters gonna hate.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

If you are going to try and achieve better frames with the upgrade then I believe you will be sorely disappinted. However, if you simply wish to have the benefit of running three monitors off the single card and maybe experience some improved AA, then go for it. But IMO the diffrence will be extremely marginal.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776