Sign in to follow this  
1Wolf

Terrain Mesh Recommendation?

Per the boxes sitting beside me, FS Global Ultimate offers 2M (The Americas) and 5M (Europe/Africa and Asia-Oceana).

Really!?!? 2m and 5m? How much does it cost? I can't access the site right now(at work and it's blocked) but if it's that much more detailed then fsgenesis, I'd be interested. How much of Europe is at the 5m?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I have both FSGlobal 2008 and FS Genesis. I prefer FS Global since I can just copy the files to my addon scenery folder and activate them in the scenery library (in FS2004, FSX and P3D) as needed. The FS Genesis stuff has an installer that doesn't let me do what I want.

For Himalaya and Alps I use freeware Holgermesh. There are many good freeware mesh'es out there.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Really!?!? 2m and 5m? How much does it cost? I can't access the site right now(at work and it's blocked) but if it's that much more detailed then fsgenesis, I'd be interested. How much of Europe is at the 5m?

Note that areas that have nothing more than flatlands or flat desert are not going to be as highly detailed as Metropolis' or mountain ranges.

54,99 euro for Europe - Africa

49,99 Euro for The Americas

54,99 Euro Asia - Oceana

Or you can bundle all of them together for 120 Euro.

-Damien

The FS Genesis stuff has an installer that doesn't let me do what I want.

You can also download a zipped version and extract them yourself rather than using the installer. Then, you could place them wherever you want and add them to the scenery library in the same way.

54,99 euro for Europe - Africa

Thanks. I will have to check that out. Is that whole area 5m? How much of Europe is included? Norway, Finland and Sweden too?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Thanks. I will have to check that out. Is that whole area 5m? How much of Europe is included? Norway, Finland and Sweden too?

Like I mentioned earlier...

Note that areas that have nothing more than flatlands or flat desert are not going to be as highly detailed as Metropolis' or mountain ranges.

As posted on their website, With all 3 packages, you've got 100% coverage of the world. It appears that the coverage from Europe covers all of greenland, east to Iran and from the northernmost Greenland shores to the southernmost islands of Africa.. So, yes, It does include Norway, Finland and Sweden.

-Damien

I have FScene. It replaces the default terrain with better terrain tiles that look more realistic. So it has no effect at all on frame rates. It goes well to gether with Ultimate Terrain, that puts all the roads and rivers at the right places (no more rivers that stop in the middle of nowhere). I think it also has no effect on frame rates. You can check them out at their respective web sites to see the differences and exactly what it fixes in FSX.I do not have FSGenesis, so I cannot compare with that.

Henri

Henri Arsenault

70% off made my decision for me. I bought N America DVD set on Christmas and it cost me less than $20 USD.

Chuck Biggins

I have FScene. It replaces the default terrain with better terrain tiles that look more realistic. So it has no effect at all on frame rates. It goes well to gether with Ultimate Terrain, that puts all the roads and rivers at the right places (no more rivers that stop in the middle of nowhere). I think it also has no effect on frame rates. You can check them out at their respective web sites to see the differences and exactly what it fixes in FSX.I do not have FSGenesis, so I cannot compare with that.

Henri

Fscene is a completely different program that does a completely different thing.. fscene is a scenery/autogen replacement like gex. Fscene has nothing to do with terrain mesh.

-Damien

70% off made my decision for me. I bought N America DVD set on Christmas and it cost me less than $20 USD.

Me too. I already have the U.S. & Hawaii & Alaska and paid less than $20 for the next map Europe product just now. Fantastic deal.

I have both FSGlobal 2008 and FS Genesis. I prefer FS Global since I can just copy the files to my addon scenery folder and activate them in the scenery library (in FS2004, FSX and P3D) as needed. The FS Genesis stuff has an installer that doesn't let me do what I want.

For Himalaya and Alps I use freeware Holgermesh. There are many good freeware mesh'es out there.

There is a huge advantage to being able to install scnery on seperate disk, cause it takes load off FSX disk, which is always very busy.

If its the case that FSGenesis like UTX forces you to install in FSX folder, then Fsgenesis is no option for me .

Plus someone also mentioned FsGlobal Resolution much higher.

If its the case that FSGenesis like UTX forces you to install in FSX folder, then Fsgenesis is no option for me .

Kevin answered this in post #19 above and said this is not true.

Edit: I just checked my FSGenesis account and you can get them as an .exe or a .zip for the manual install.

Chuck Biggins

Same thing for me...I have not used/seen FSGlobal, but do have FSGenesis and it is good. Definitely recommend it. They have a 70% off sale going on right now too. Check them out at http://www.fsgenesis.com

Appreciate the heads up on this. At that price, I couldn't resist. Just ordered the 4 dvd set. :yahoo:

I have a really hard time believing FS Global is higher resolution than FS Genesis, I have used FSGenesis for years and years and Justin always gets the highest sources available. I believe FSGlobal is lying about coverage data and only a few locations, say the Alps is that high of a resolution, and everything else is less. Is there an actual coverage map for FSGlobal?

It's described on the website and also listed on the boxes. Also take a look on the fsgenesis website describing their own resolutions.

-Damien

I believe FSGlobal is lying about coverage data and only a few locations,...

Couldn't we save the inflammatory words for stuff that is a better fit with respects to having an argument, like weather products, 737s and the likes?

I'm speaking only as a customer, but one of the product does have 2.38m mesh in the U.S. Granted it's a very, very, very small couple of areas, but it's there.

Yes, people do need to look past the marketing blabber, as there is generally one good source for a particular area and it's not something that is readily available for people who want to look for it. An informed purchaser will tend to be a happy customer, OK?