Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

New FTX Global screenshots

They do look pretty (apart from the fields climbing up the mountain in pic 3!). It will be interesting to see what performance is like.

I think performance will be very good, at least until you get into airports!

What I don't understand is why a better looking water isn't available for FSX. I think water is one of the worst depictions, especially compared to other game software. I guess it's just not accessing some higher end graphic shaders or something.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

They do look pretty (apart from the fields climbing up the mountain in pic 3!). It will be interesting to see what performance is like.

Thats the Mesh/Landclass doing that I think

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

What I don't understand is why a better looking water isn't available for FSX. I think water is one of the worst depictions, especially compared to other game software. I guess it's just not accessing some higher end graphic shaders or something.

Probably because since FSX is supposed to be a flight simulator, there's not really any point in having more detailed water. The water in FSX is highly customisable anyway, albeit at a performance hit, and if you really want spectacular water - you can have it. Although things like how the water looks isn't a massive concern of mine, there are much bigger issues with the simulator than the water, especially given in real life you don't see the dynamics of waves etc. unless practically right on top of them in most cases.

Although things like how the water looks isn't a massive concern of mine

Well, it's not a massive concern here either, but when done poorly can detract from the 'suspension of disbelief' that one can get into if lucky!

if you really want spectacular water - you can have it. Although

Please direct me!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I think I'll probably prefer this, since I was never completely happy with GEX textures.

One positive, is that all of the boundaries between FTX global and any ORBX scenery we have are going to be seamless, e.g North America, and England to Scotland, and any future areas they bring out.

It's not an issue for Aus/NZ obviously though..

is that all of the boundaries between FTX global and any ORBX scenery we have are going to be seamless

Maybe better but seamless I think would be taking it to far. I sure would notice the bad landclass, mesh, terrible rectangular costlines and innland lakes, unless you add some other products that improve those things.

Now, FTX Global surely is expensive, so I can understand that you aren't tempted. But take into account that custom features will be added monthly it might end up being reasonably priced over time, if you, like me, love to explore most of planet earth and don't stick to only a few areas.

This is a no brainer for me, especially if lots of airports start coming too.

Noel

Looks awesome, definitely a must buy for me, this might finally make areas that haven't been covered with FSAltitude yet worth flying around.

Well, it's not a massive concern here either, but when done poorly can detract from the 'suspension of disbelief' that one can get into if lucky!

Please direct me!

Some of the REX waves and FSWC shader presets work exceptionally well together. I personally really like how my own water in FSX looks, which I believe is some combination of the default FSX wave file (although I'm not 100% sure) and custom editing of the shader files.

I've attached a couple of screenshots of what my water looks like, I wouldn't really call it spectacular, but I think it's about as realistic as needs be for me personally.

http://img525.images...94/91104313.jpg

http://img824.images...34/35212846.jpg

http://img402.images...2/4756/lxgb.jpg

Wow some killer shots there Luke, I have run into problems in the past with FSWC texture coruption wave animation got hosed.

Rich Sennett

Wow some killer shots there Luke, I have run into problems in the past with FSWC texture coruption wave animation got hosed.

I had issues with FSWC as well, which is why I just changed some of the settings in the shaders (quite a while ago though). For some reason, whenever I use REX's wave files, on high 2x it seriously kills FPS - yet on the default FSX wave file there's very little difference between high 1x and high 2x when it comes to performance.

i wonder how many gigs of hdd we will need for this, and the price of course.

Cenk Demir

Besiktas JK 1903

i wonder how many gigs of hdd we will need for this, and the price of course.

HDD space. Got it. Money. Wish I had it. :P

I'll probably add this to the list of FSX add-ons I wish to buy this year.

These latest ones are for Norway, but I just recently discovered previously posted screen shots of FTXWorld that showed a peek of their textures for Japan. The quality is enough to make me want to buy it. If FTXWorld can be slightly better than SceneryTech's Asia landclass add-on for Japan, I'm sold. Scenery Tech's Asian landclass add-on is pretty good for what is available for Japan scenery, which isn't much.

HDD space. Got it. Money. Wish I had it. :P

I'll probably add this to the list of FSX add-ons I wish to buy this year.

These latest ones are for Norway, but I just recently discovered previously posted screen shots of FTXWorld that showed a peek of their textures for Japan. The quality is enough to make me want to buy it. If FTXWorld can be slightly better than SceneryTech's Asia landclass add-on for Japan, I'm sold. Scenery Tech's Asian landclass add-on is pretty good for what is available for Japan scenery, which isn't much.

From what I have read FTX Global will be textures only. It will not include landclass or any other terrain enhancement such as roads/railways/rivers/coastlines/mesh, which you would normally get in an FTX region such as PNW. So it will work alongside your SceneryTech landclass rather than replace it.

It will definitely be nice to have but Orbx are asking a lot at AU$195. It is possible they will rethink by the time it's released as they are almost certainly gauging public reaction to their announcement.