Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Pet Peeve about these forums search

Feel free to move this to correct sub forum...

Anyway can we get the default search to be "Forums" rather than "google site search?"

If I wanted to google I'd just go to the top of my browser...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Anyway can we get the default search to be "Forums" rather than "google site search?"

It is there because we are search the entire site, not just the forums.

So you're saying google only searches avsim?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I tried it... I guess I was confused because it looked like a web search but it does work like you say...

Thanks

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Please Sir, I have a pet peeve too. When I search for something, matter not what, I can't bear being told "This is 15 years old and wont be of any use". Or words to that effect. The fact that what I found IS of use makes me go 'Grrr!'

Thank you, I wanted to say that for yonks. :biggrin:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Please Sir, I have a pet peeve too. When I search for something, matter not what, I can't bear being told "This is 15 years old and wont be of any use". Or words to that effect. The fact that what I found IS of use makes me go 'Grrr!'

+1

Yep, we're discussing a sim from the days of the dinosaurs, so old info isn't really outdated.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

One search function that I miss is the "Search this thread" or "Search this forum" tab. That would be great to have.

Try it now Ron.

One search function that I miss is the "Search this thread" or "Search this forum" tab. That would be great to have.

Have you guys even used this function? Click on the Google Site label:

And if you click on the gear next to the search box, you will get even more options.

No, I have not Tom. Did not even know that it was "clickable" :shok: . Cool. thanks for the tip.

Wow I hadn't even seen that option box. Now if only it had a button called "This Forum" it would be complete =).

I have had the best success simply by typing in my search word (which is usually a dll) then hitting return (don't hit the spyglass next to Google). When I do this it appears to be searching only the site you are in when you try the search. Learning how to search AVSIM is most important as it can resolve a lot of questions.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Try it now Ron.

Aaaah, I feel all warm in my tummy. :smile:

Cheers.

Aaaah, I feel all warm in my tummy.

Okay, so translating from midland Brit to American, I read that as you found that it works and now you are "happy happy", as Phil from Duck Commanders would say.

The translation is spot on but it's from 'Southern Brit' to American. Good shot though. :smile: