Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Setting up realistic failure modeling

Had my first random failure on Monday while en-route to KORD. The immersion was great. I smiled a big smile.

However, it was very bad timing for a "BLEED TRIP OFF" master caution while descending through ice pellets on approach. :blink:

...As you cannot lower the gear with no hydraulics, and because manual gear extension isn't modeled (yet), it's actually quite hard to land it properly...

Is that correct? I thought they had not modeled the animation of the opening floor panel and moving levers inside, but repeated clicking on the hotspot would lower the gear manually. I am not in a position to test it at the moment, so can anybody else comment?

Is that correct? I thought they had not modeled the animation of the opening floor panel and moving levers inside, but repeated clicking on the hotspot would lower the gear manually. I am not in a position to test it at the moment, so can anybody else comment?

I didn't tried to click on the hatch. I've read some people report that there's no clickspot on it. I've also read a number of times that manual extension simply wasn't modeled (not only talking about the gear animation).

Let met check that tonight when I get home :)

Thomas

There is no clickspot for it either, atleast there wasn't prior to SP1, I checked all this kind of stuff shortly after release.

The team confirmed that it is a limit of the simulator. Probably a limit on how they simulated all the hyd things. No pressure, no gears.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Turn off all 4 hyd pumps, let the pressure decrease to 0 and try ctrl+G, it doesn't work.

The only thing pmdg provided is the alternate extension with B system wich is not true but will help in case of a single hydraulic failure(more common than a complete manual reversion).

Regards

Andrea Daviero

hi, i have one question.

How is the usage time of a particular livery calculated? Is it reseted when you load a new flight (not a previously saved flight) and select the ngx from the aircraft selection window or does it continue countig the time regardless of how you load the plane?

Thank you!

How is the usage time of a particular livery calculated? Is it reseted when you load a new flight (not a previously saved flight) and select the ngx from the aircraft selection window or does it continue countig the time regardless of how you load the plane?

As I mentioned earlier, it is stored in the particular livery's .ini file and the time accumulates over the total time you use that particular livery. So, you fly 2 hours today, and then 2 hours next week, you now have 4 hours stored in that file.

Kyle Rodgers

As you cannot lower the gear with no hydraulics, and because manual gear extension isn't modeled (yet), it's actually quite hard to land it properly. Tested yesterday... belly landing ended up not so good ;-)

But it is really interesting to control the plane without hydraulics A&B (only STBY). It's really slow, and quite hard to control the pitch without extensive use of the stabilizer trim.

Thomas

Right, forgot to mention, set your crash tolerance to maximum & see if you can pull of that belly landing.

U can also try failing FMC L/R, IRS L/R/DU, ILS L/R, VOR L/R, DME L/R & try an NDB app. to minima in IFR wx, using your stby ATT indicator....

The failures are fun & challenging in the NGX:)

<br />However I'm looking forward to the finished product and will likely get it. Will it work only for pre-set failures or will it also work with service based failures?<br />

Hi Richard,

sorry for the delay....

to answer your question re Emergency NGX!

Yes. You can use Programmed, Random & Service Based failures provided they are part of the Emergency NGX! package.

Not long to go now.....it's almost there.

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

NP, thanks for confirming!

I've got another question on the failure modeling itself, will service based failures caused by attrition always occur after the same amount of time for all NGXes or could one NGX flyer be forced to replace let's say the forward left fuel pump after X amount of time while someone else instead is forced to replace it after Y amount of time?

Yet another question speaking about fuel pumps, is time used related only to the airframe in total sort of speak or also to specific parts like the fuel pumps so let's say again if you always use the forward left fuel pump for the APU will that specific fuel pump likely fail before the rest of the fuel pumps?

Richard Åsberg

The fuel pump is one of the components you will hardly see failed, if it fails it will be after years of usage.

However the fwd left (the most used by most of the users for APU running) can stop working before the others.

However, some people correctly use (random) the other pumps to feed the apu to save some hours of life to the left one.

For example, if you have lot of fuel in the center tank you can decide to feed the apu with the ctr left pump or, with xfeed, with the right one.

For a limited ground time left aft or left fwd wing pumps will be sufficient as if there is fuel left in the ctr tank it will be scavenged to the left tank to "fill" the apu used fuel.

But, for long APU time usage (where is possible) empty ctr tank or already umbalanced tanks, the best choice is to use the APU to balance the tanks.

I don't know about the ngx timings, but I don't think is such deep in the failures.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Thanks for the interesting info!

Reason I came to think of the fuel pumps is I once read a real NG driver saying that at his airline they were instructed to use the forward rather than the aft left fuel pump for APU operation since the cost replacing the aft fuel pump is higher.

Richard Åsberg