Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Setting up realistic failure modeling

So far I haven't tried the failure modeling in the NGX but to bring the realism yet another step I'm thinking of introducing this to my simming.

With my goal making it as real as possible when it comes to type and frequency of failures are there any good advice how to set things up?

Richard Åsberg

With my goal making it as real as possible when it comes to type and frequency of failures are there any good advice how to set things up?

Just turn on the service based failures via the Options FMS menu. That will initiate failures at the realistic rate something breaks or catches fire.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Since the beginning I am flying on "service based" mode but never got any emergencies.

Is there a log file where I can follow up how many flight hours a particular plane livery has clocked?

Can the airframe be artificially made "older" with tweaking of a file, so it starts developing problems?

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

Thanks for the input guys, I have now activated service based failures and just took off from ESSA-EGGL almost holding my breath I won't get any bad surprises ;)

One thing...will performing service within the given intervals (250h) decrease the risk of facing failures?

Richard Åsberg

Since the beginning I am flying on "service based" mode but never got any emergencies.

Is there a log file where I can follow up how many flight hours a particular plane livery has clocked?

Can the airframe be artificially made "older" with tweaking of a file, so it starts developing problems?

Accumulated hours are stored in the livery's .ini file, I believe. I wouldn't recommend messing with the file, however. If you want to artificially hit yourself with a failure, use the other failures feature.

One thing...will performing service within the given intervals (250h) decrease the risk of facing failures?

Yes, at least in the direct sense of refilling fluids will prevent issues related to those fluids (like HYD issues).

Kyle Rodgers

Accumulated hours are stored in the livery's .ini file, I believe. I wouldn't recommend messing with the file, however. If you want to artificially hit yourself with a failure, use the other failures feature.

Yes, at least in the direct sense of refilling fluids will prevent issues related to those fluids (like HYD issues).

Ok, got it - thanks!

Richard Åsberg

Hi Rich,

As a matter of interest, FS2 Crew will shortly release "Emergency NGX" which is an add-on to FS2 Crew NGX. Provided you are using the Voice Control version, you can set up many different types of failures within the NGX CDU Menu. Your FO will assist you (as in RW Op's) in determining a suitable course of action to remedy the issue (referring to QRH).

I've been beta testing it for some weeks now, and it promises to be one of the FS Software must-have's for NGX'ers for 2013 and beyond.

You may very well want to get this when it's available....your enjoyment and education of the NGX will most certainly move up several notches.

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

But i still have some questions,what is the average of faliures in each 10 hours?(for the random faliure)

Captain Hamzeh Farhadi

A320 TRI/TRE at Iran Air

more or less (not less) 0% in 10 hours.

Except for damages related to bad aircraft usage (like stress due to hard landings, engines over maximum values, levels not refilled and so on) the plane can give you no faults for a longer time, months, years. All depends on how you use it and on the kind of failure.

On aged airplanes is possible that units installed from the first days will fail in the same period (days, weeks), so you can find multiple issues in a short time, but, then you can have other weeks or months without problems.

Unless you're flying everyday for 6 to 8 hours per day, you will see failures only in case you are not gently with it, and you will expect a real failure after years of usage.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Hi Rich,

As a matter of interest, FS2 Crew will shortly release "Emergency NGX" which is an add-on to FS2 Crew NGX. Provided you are using the Voice Control version, you can set up many different types of failures within the NGX CDU Menu. Your FO will assist you (as in RW Op's) in determining a suitable course of action to remedy the issue (referring to QRH).

I've been beta testing it for some weeks now, and it promises to be one of the FS Software must-have's for NGX'ers for 2013 and beyond.

You may very well want to get this when it's available....your enjoyment and education of the NGX will most certainly move up several notches.

Yes, I know Bryan has been working on this new product and it sounds very promising! I was actually asked to beta test this new product myself but looking at the amount of spare time I have I politely turned the offer down to be able to do more actual flying instead.

However I'm looking forward to the finished product and will likely get it. Will it work only for pre-set failures or will it also work with service based failures?

more or less (not less) 0% in 10 hours.

Except for damages related to bad aircraft usage (like stress due to hard landings, engines over maximum values, levels not refilled and so on) the plane can give you no faults for a longer time, months, years. All depends on how you use it and on the kind of failure.

On aged airplanes is possible that units installed from the first days will fail in the same period (days, weeks), so you can find multiple issues in a short time, but, then you can have other weeks or months without problems.

Unless you're flying everyday for 6 to 8 hours per day, you will see failures only in case you are not gently with it, and you will expect a real failure after years of usage.

A follow-up question on this, when some part of the aircraft eventually fail due to age/usage will clearing that specific failure once you (hopefully) get back down on the ground reset the time for that specific part until it will break next time making it 'as good as new'?

Richard Åsberg

Fail all the Hydraulics & see if you can land the planeBig%20Grin.gif it's hard but can be done.

As you cannot lower the gear with no hydraulics, and because manual gear extension isn't modeled (yet), it's actually quite hard to land it properly. Tested yesterday... belly landing ended up not so good ;-)

But it is really interesting to control the plane without hydraulics A&B (only STBY). It's really slow, and quite hard to control the pitch without extensive use of the stabilizer trim.

For the interest of the simulation, i've setup random failures at a rate of 1 or 2 per 10 hours. Makes flying more interesting, and you better have a printed QRH handy.

Thomas

Exactly... The ngx failure are a good and big step in the right direction but they are still not 100% accurate.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

For the interest of the simulation, i've setup random failures at a rate of 1 or 2 per 10 hours. Makes flying more interesting, and you better have a printed QRH handy.

Thomas

Yeah I usually set 1 per 10 hours on top of the service failure model. Problem is if I do get a failure I will never be sure if it was a service failure or random, it's highly likely to be random failure but I never know.

Yeah I usually set 1 per 10 hours on top of the service failure model. Problem is if I do get a failure I will never be sure if it was a service failure or random, it's highly likely to be random failure but I never know.

True, but after a given system has failed, you just have to go to the system's maintenance page and check the next maintenance schedule. :)

Thomas