Sign in to follow this  
3Green

December 21st 2012 was nothing... Now its Feb 15th, 2013

A 150ft wide (45 meters) asteroid 2012 DA14 will fly within 17,200 miles (27,700 kilometers) of planet Earth on February 15th, 2013. Nail%20Biting.gif

Let's hope no satellites get in the way, I'd hate to lose internet service.. Great Video in the above link explaining 2012DA14.

RJ

That's a good sized stone for sure. Wonder how much of it would burn up before it would hit ground.

That's a good sized stone for sure. Wonder how much of it would burn up before it would hit ground.

:lol: Good question... Most likely not much.

RJ

On June 30th, 1908, a similar sized asteroid exploded over Tunguska, Russia causing some damage.

RJ

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

History Channel 2 has been repeating a great series titled "The Universe", it has some awesome images of well...the universe as well as some awesome graphics. One show is about about meteors in particular. http://www.history.com/shows/the-universe

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Now that's a cool site! Where did you get to know about it?

lectureq.jpg

I think we should find those guys throwing stones at us. :mad: Otherwise our dinosaurs will die!

I found it surfing a while back, The effects are pretty devastating according to the predicted math,If correct.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

It'll be nice seeing it fly across the sky, even if it isn't bringing us impending death.

On a side note... YOU HAVE SATELLITE INTERNET??!?! Nail%20Biting.gif

I do, it's on my yacht which is currently in dry dock. Just%20Kidding.gif <---Just kidding (maybe)

Nice find. Might try and spot this in the scope!

Looks like we have a new comet to look forward this fall/winter (2013). Comet C/2012 S1 (ISON) was discovered on Sept 21st, 2012, by two Russian astronomers and is making its first-ever sweep through the inner solar system. ISON will not be a threat to Earth (will miss Earth by about 40 million miles) on Dec. 26th, 2013. Stargazers (aka me) will have an opportunity to view the comet's head and tail before and after its closest approach to the sun (if the comet doesn't fade early or break up before reaching the sun).

RJ

Wonder how many more are out there that havent yet been detected... Probably millions... or billions!

Dean
Manager - PC Aviator Australia

Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories

Well, there's nothing much we can do if it does come. It'll destroy wherever it falls.

On a side note... YOU HAVE SATELLITE INTERNET??!?! Nail%20Biting.gif

We can laugh but some places can't get cable or DSL yet, I know a few who had to get satelite and not even that far from a city. It's slow but better than dial up.

We do it tough in Australia lol

We can laugh but some places can't get cable or DSL yet, I know a few who had to get satelite and not even that far from a city. It's slow but better than dial up.

Satellite is generally the Internet of last resort, when nothing else is available. When I first got it, I used dialup for most things, then switched to the satellite for images or files. Then a month or two into the contract the company switched protocols and we ended up with 1300 ms ping times. By this time my dialup was down from 50.6 to 28.8 on a good day, so I lived with it.

Recently the provider switched satellites and the new one is a more normal 650 ms ping, and is lots faster; I often exceed the "up to" speeds. Yeah, I know what you can get with cable. Anyone want to spring about $30,000 to have the cable run those last few miles?

The local phone company seems to be switching to an all wireless setup. No land lines at all. Guaranteed coverage everywhere. (Yeah, right). They've applied to the public utilities commission for exemption from having to maintain our land lines, and I understand it's been approved. I'm not entirely sure this is progress. But if it works, it may provide some pretty good Internet service.

I have no near neighbors and the closest paved road is more than a mile away. My son has bonfires, fireworks, and practices shooting from his back porch, and no one cares. I can go skinny dipping in my pond. Haven't had a cat run over since we left the city. It's *quiet*. Y'know what? Keep your cable Internet. :) I'll think of you next time I'm looking up at the stars.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;