Sign in to follow this  
Tatave

Aerosoft Robin DR400 FSX+Prepar3d RELEASED

Helen, thanks for your input on this...

Another one you might want to look at in terms of flyability and training is the Baytower Vans RV-7/7A...

All in all a wonderful package...

A

Another one you might want to look at in terms of flyability and training is the Baytower Vans RV-7/7A...

A

Thanks Andrew - is it this one; http://www.baytower.ca/ ... looks fantastic. In fact looks similar quality to the Aerosoft DR400.... Too many aircraft addons and too little time!...... saying that, it seems that with now 5 addom aircraft (all GA singles) I have a lot less than most! :smile:

Sorry for the O/T.

A

Absolute awesome little plane that do not get the credit it deserve.

It is a shame not more people know about this gem.

Also a lot of repaints at avsim just search "attwood"

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=*van*&FileName=&Author=attwood&CatID=root

TBH, it looks like the typical prop slogging I've seen in the past prior to current best practices for maximizing "smoothness". I wonder what using the 1/2 refresh rate and 30fps locked approach might do for this issue and those who experience it.

Robin are, I understand, a small aircraft producer, but with disproportionately large slices of the markets in Northern Europe (mainly France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, etc).

It's a popular trainer over there. And it's pretty unusual as it's made from wood. :smile:

The DR400 is still a popular touring aircraft here in the U.K. I used to have a share in one.

Lovely to fly, very forgiving with good low speed handling characteristics and four "proper" seats. The only issue as you mentioned is the fact that it's constructed of wood which means it must be kept "indoors" - an expensive option here in the UK with the very limited hanger space at most airfields.

Am quite tempted by this FSX version!

I rate it as just down from the RealAir Legacy.

EDIT: Just read that thread again and watched the video this time. I really could not see a problem? .... the oscillations that you can see in the prop effect looks very realistic to me. I see a similar effect in the DA-20 that I fly in the real world (also fixed pitch, like this aircraft).

Helen,

How does it compare to the Lancair Legacy with regard to performance ? Do you have then Aerosoft Katana DA 20-100 Katana 4X ?

Helen,

How does it compare to the Lancair Legacy with regard to performance ? Do you have then Aerosoft Katana DA 20-100 Katana 4X ?

On my system (i7 3.4 completely standard, and HD 7850 2Gb), I've never had any issues with the RealAir Legacy re: performance, but I can say that the DR400 frame rates are higher, to the tune of around 20%. It is an exceptionally frame rate friendly aircraft.

How I wish the Carendo (?) SR22 was anywhere close in performance to either the DR400 or the RealAir Legacy. That plane (the SR22) runs dreadfully on my system in terms of frame rates and stutters. The first purchase in this hobby that I've made that didn't work out for me, but hey ho.

Yes, I do have the DA20, and it is fantastic! ..... It was recommended by someone on this great forum and as I am gaining my PPL in a DA-20, this was a fantastic find for me. I just wish this version was same as the one I am learning in (the Eclipse 125hp version with fixed pitch prop), but it is still awesome fun and quality. I would say that the order of performance of aircraft addons that I own are ;-

Ant's Aircraft Drifter Ultralite (easiest on frame rates)

Aerosoft DR400

RealAir Legacy

Aerosoft DA-20 Katana

Carendo SR22 (hardest on frame rates, unistalled as just would not play nicely on my system).

Incidentally (I know I am going off topic here), I emailed Carendo about the issues I was having with the SR22, and the reply I received was "close the PFD and MFD while flying" which I imagined could be quite counter-productive in flight!!....

Yes, I do have the DA20, and it is fantastic! ..... It was recommended by someone on this great forum and as I am gaining my PPL in a DA-20, this was a fantastic find for me. I just wish this version was same as the one I am learning in (the Eclipse 125hp version with fixed pitch prop), but it is still awesome fun and quality. I would say that the order of performance of aircraft addons that I own are ;-

Ant's Aircraft Drifter Ultralite (easiest on frame rates)

Aerosoft DR400

RealAir Legacy

Aerosoft DA-20 Katana

Carendo SR22 (hardest on frame rates, unistalled as just would not play nicely on my system).

....all great planes. :smile:

I also have the Katana DA-20 and since you have fly a real one how do you feel about its realism ? I have often experienced that it felt jerky in some way. Easy go from high climb rate to steep dive with little yoke input. Is that realistic ?

I'm surprised that you consider the Lancair Legacy better on frames than the Katana. I find both the Lancair Legacy and the DR400 interesting but I can't buy everything. My impression is that Lancair Legacy is better than DR400 except when it comes to fps friendliness. My distinct impression is that the DR400 is well above the average addon plane with regard to realism and there were many things I liked about its description. Do you think it's better than the Katana ?

I also have the Katana DA-20 and since you have fly a real one how do you feel about its realism ? I have often experienced that it felt jerky in some way. Easy go from high climb rate to steep dive with little yoke input. Is that realistic ?

I'm surprised that you consider the Lancair Legacy better on frames than the Katana. I find both the Lancair Legacy and the DR400 interesting but I can't buy everything. My impression is that Lancair Legacy is better than DR400 except when it comes to fps friendliness. My distinct impression is that the DR400 is well above the average addon plane with regard to realism and there were many things I liked about its description. Do you think it's better than the Katana ?

The DA-20 is pretty convincing in terms of perceived 'virutal weight' and handling character. What is quite different is the power level and management. The 125hp DA20 that I fly, feels quite considerably more powerful than this model (probably quite appropriately), and of course the sound of the engine is very, very different. But the Aerosoft DA-20 is not attempting to simulate the model that I fly, so that is of course fair enough. Twitchiness on the pitch axis: - well it is a very light aircraft and those long wings do give a very distinct pitch axis for the plane to swing on.... I would say the real DA20 I fly feels about 10% less sensitive and pitchy than the simulated aircraft ....... but maybe that's solely down to having the 'feel' of the real aircraft, so (unlike FSX) you are constantly making small adjustments without really being aware of it. In FSX the 'cues' for those adjustments are solely visual, so it's more difficult.

I personally find that reducing all of the "Flight Realism" settings by around 10-15% in FSX, gives a more convincing feeling of real flight, than having them all on 'max'.

The DR400 really is superb and as light as any aircraft (even the default C172) on my system. But it has a lot of depth and features, so it so much better than the default aircraft. On my system the RealAir Legacy and the DA20 are not far off eachother, performance-wise, but the Legacy is definitely a little lighter on performance.

I only own the above listed 5 aircraft addons at present, but if I had to choose only 1 to fly, it would be the DR400.

I personally find that reducing all of the "Flight Realism" settings by around 10-15% in FSX, gives a more convincing feeling of real flight, than having them all on 'max'.

Don't do that for Legacy though.

From their manual:"Our flight model relies on having the general realism slider in your FSX aircraft menu to be set FULLY RIGHT. Even one tiny notch less than maximum general realism will disable all the painstaking features we have built into the flight aerodynamics."

I'm also considering Aerosoft Robin but I already have way way too many GA airplanes in my hangar... so, why not one more :)

If my memory serves me correctly there is a very nice freeware DR400 available for FS2004 and FSX.

I used to fly it in FS2004. And the best thing is - the flight dynamics were by Rob Young from Real Air Simulations!

Worth a search if you don't want to splash out on the payware version just yet..

I'm going to reinstall it tonight.

From their manual:"Our flight model relies on having the general realism slider in your FSX aircraft menu to be set FULLY RIGHT. Even one tiny notch less than maximum general realism will disable all the painstaking features we have built into the flight aerodynamics."

I'm also considering Aerosoft Robin but I already have way way too many GA airplanes in my hangar... so, why not one more :)

Absolutely! ....... The RealAir Legacy feels perfect how it is.

For me, the DA20 feels a little more like I'm used to in the real world, with the flight model sliders down 10% or so.

Yep as it should be FDE and other stuff is done at another level ;-)

André