Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Helen_P

Some things never change. Idiots abound and the sad part is that there are a lot of gullible people here who are willing to suck this stuff in and give total credence to folks with an agenda. Here's a fact; we have a very unhappy little British boy who was banned last year and has since tried everything he can do to make our lives hell. He has failed miserably, but he sure has been entertaining, and often at your expense. He has tried it again using the persona of Helen_P, who signed on to the system on February 3rd and immediately went to the defense of another sad sack.

Here's the truth about "Helen_P":

She claims she is originally from Dover but now lives in St. John's Newfoundland, Canada. Okay... Let's check the veracity of that.. We can see her IP's used. Hmmm... This is curious:

IP's Used:

Using the .178 nubmer resovles to:

IP:

Decimal:

Hostname:

host86-167-92-178.range86-167.btcentralplus.com

ISP:

British Telecommunications

Organization:

British Telecommunications

Services:

None detected

Type:

Broadband

Assignment:

Dynamic IP

Geolocation Information

United Kingdom C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png

State/Region:

Sunderland

City:

Washington

Latitude:

54.9 (54° 54′ 0.00″ N)

Longitude:

-1.5167 (1° 31′ 0.12″ W)

All from the general area around Newcastle upon Tyne, Sunderland, UK.

Let me remind everyone... Not everyone here is who they appear or claim to be. To those that are misrepresenting themselves; you will be found out, and then you too will be outed. We are going to start cracking down on this type of crap starting yesterday... For those of you that so vociferously supported this fraud, well, I hope you too learn a lesson.

Wow—another shocking announcement! Who would have known, with "her" whole self-introduction and seemingly good intentions? I must be very bad at noticing suspicious behavior. . . .

Careful Tom. You can't stop it and they will keep trying. If you keep this kind of behaviour up they may band together to make an end to you and Avsim entirely. Given enough time and disgruntled banned members they may succeed. Is it really worth starting an unwinnable war over?

Wow—another shocking announcement! Who would have known?

We deal with this stuff all the time. It gets to be laughable after awhile. The sad part of all this is that there are folks that really fall for the "agent provocateurs" amongst us. And.. trust me, there are a number of them.

Careful Tom. You can't stop it and they will keep trying. If you keep this kind of behaviour up they may band together to make an end to you and Avsim entirely. Given enough time and disgruntled banned members they may succeed. Is it really worth starting an unwinnable war over?

I am not too concerned about it. If they are so intent on harming AVSIM, then they really don't think too much of the community either, do they? My counter suggestion would be that you keep your eyes peeled for questionable behavior and report it ASAP. It is your community too. Help protect it.

Tom, I'm having a bit of trouble with the above post. It's not that fact that you and the other folks running Avsim try to prevent e.g. fraud. That's very understandable and serves the users by a large bit. No, I'm mainly concerned about posting IP addresses which, depending on the jurisdiction, are regarded as personal data. That is regardless of whether they come up as good or bad.

So, yes, you have all right to be angry and, internally, handle and check such data. However, there's no cone of shame law in place and there also isn't a need to post private data in public when your main message actually is that you've found out about something and now took countermeasures.

I may also add that proxy servers and VPN installations are a common thing at some places and the simple resolution of a client IP may not actually show where the good or bad thing came from.

Wow. I guess I was wrong? :angry: Are there really any girls who use simulators? :P

But what if she/he/it used a proxy server or something?

I am who I am, but I'm a little scared of you having the right/power to post my IP address publicly like you did with this person. I know IP addresses don't provide much information, but they do provide the city and state (if applicable). However, it's your website, so that is all I'm going to say about this.

I knew she was getting up my nose after just a few posts. "Pushy cow" came to mind. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love this place.

I am who I am, but I'm a little scared of you having the right/power to post my IP address publicly like you did with this person. I know IP addresses don't provide much information, but they do provide the city and state (if applicable). However, it's your website, so that is all I'm going to say about this.

What are you worried about? We already know your name is Diego and you live in Houston,Texas. (Not Harris county I hope) :wink: Knowing an IP address isn't quite the same as 'I know where you live' so rest easy. Besides, Homeland Security is reading everything you write on the internet! Nail%20Biting.gif

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

It's about what you want to share and what others share about you, Ron.

We wanted to make an example of this one because of the short lived "notoriety". As for privacy concerns, if you are doing anything wrong, you have not need to be concerned. This is the first time in 17 years that we have done this. Hopefully, it will be another 17 before we need to do it again.

And to those of you willing to subscribe to the IP spoofing as a method of doing this, yes, it is possible. But in this case, I can assure you that that was not the case.

Wow crazy stuff going on here lately.

No.. this goes on everyday. you just don't get exposed to it as we (normally) silently fight the battle behind the scenes. As I said, this is not new and we fully expect it to go on from now until they pull the plug on the Internet.