Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Helen_P

Actually has anyone tried tracing Summer1's IPs to see if they resolve to the same place as this rogue's did?

I feel like a wall of shame would be a neat addition.

Medieval times. ^_^ Progress in between. Thanks to all involved for the latter.

Lets just hope you never sign up with stating that you live in Newfoundland, then visit some folks in the UK on your holidays (or maybe just use a proxy or VPN) and post at Avsim. Sorry, neither the initial post (and proof) on catching fish nor the attempts to ridicule privacy concerns impressed me. :mellow:

Actually has anyone tried tracing Summer1's IPs to see if they resolve to the same place as this rogue's did?

All jokes a-side...This is getting to the stage where no one can trust one-another...It shouldn't be that way here!

I'm sure "Summer1" isn't a problem!

I really wonder what the drive to add some more members or, even 'better', all females shows. I mean, really? :unsure:

All jokes a-side...This is getting to the stage where no one can trust one-another...It shouldn't be that way here!

I'm sure "Summer1" isn't a problem!

I think Avsim needs to start a secret police organization within its ranks to investigate member accounts at random as a full-time job and track them down and verify their authenticity.

I guess one could use a proxy in a different country from the one you claim to be from. One could also spoof their up, but that is easy to identify.

I do travel for business from time to time and continue to monitor and post on AVSIM while in different countries while using WiFi networks. I also post from several different devices.

Following my usage pattern, I guess this would be suspect. I assume that certain routes have been flagged as suspicious due to prior problems from certain individuals.

in the end, I feel that I intentionally gave up any sense of privacy the moment I plugged my computer into the internet.

in the end, I feel that I intentionally gave up any sense of privacy the moment I plugged my computer into the internet.

That's an interesting viewpoint to be honest. I don't know what it's based on though. You shouldn't feel like that. :smile: Others don't.

I assume that certain routes have been flagged as suspicious due to prior problems from certain individuals.

Yeah, the British as it seems. :lol: :P

You think "Summer1" is a she? Yeah right...

:huh: :shok:

Chris Ferguson

PC Specs(Rebuilt 1/11/19): i7-9700K - Non-OC'd, EVGA RTX 2080ti, G.Skillz 16GB Ram 3000mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w PSU, Cooler Master ML360R, ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 MoBo, 2x 2TB HDD, 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, 1x 220GB WD SSD

Where to begin... My MAC addresses uniquely identifies my machines to some routers somewhere. It will take subpoenas in most cases to legally get all that info, but it's there and there is no way to hide it that I am aware of.

If you use email, you may receive a lot of HTML mail or advertisements. In many cases the content has tracking tags that do not rely on cookies and can't be blocked. You must never view the content to avoid being tracked. This data can collect a surprising amount of metrics about you, and it can be used build unique profiles for users. These profles are only a few short steps away from being linked to a real named individual with voluntary disclosure, a hack or a subpoena. Brainshark, BrightTalk, Webtrends, etc. are marketing tools that are used for this purpose. It is very easy to set up and get started with these tools.

The less you share the better off you are, assuming you are very concerned about this in the first place. When I stated that I was willing to share details about myself, I mean to say that I speak about my hobbies, hometown, airport, etc.

I work for a bunch of Brits, I'd ban them too! :lol:

I think Avsim needs to start a secret police organization within its ranks to investigate member accounts at random as a full-time job and track them down and verify their authenticity.

I'll sign up for that. lol

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Helen_P, who signed on to the system on February 3rd and immediately went to the defense of another sad sack

Sorry, Tom, but to me your post seems to be just a lot of self-back-slapping, like "look how great we are at exposing imposters." I for one don't care who s/he is or was, and I'm glad it's resolved. But, I agree with others who've stated that the details were not required, and if you had to post anything at all something along the lines of Cool-IP's suggestion was all that was needed.

I think we all know to whom you were referring with the name-calling, and to me this smacks of piling-on. Although it's not explicitly stated in the ToS, I don't think name-calling is in the spirit of AVSIM, and you doing it in your post suggests that there's a double standard for admins/mods and the rest of us. If I had targeted another member in a forum post with the label "sad sack", my post would have been deleted and I suspect a 30 day ban would come my way. If I'd directed that put-down at a mod it would not have ended well for me.

It's your show, but it's also important to point out that the tone of a community is set from the top down. Nerves are raw in the wake of Word Not Allowed's permanent banning, and I think it's worth saying that name-calling doesn't help the community to move forward. Rather, it encourages just the kind of testosterone-fueled head-butting that's all too common here on AVSIM.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

Wow, really interesting past couple of days at Avsim...

I recall her saying she was a teacher, then a couple threads later stated she was a head mod for one of North America's top medical forums. Seemed like she never a solid story other than the DA20 and the Legacy were her main products. Although I will admit, she...er, he did a pretty good job of impersonating a woman. I fell for it.

Goes to show you how great the extent of anonymity is on the internet.

Well with all the sanctimonious preaching going on, we will now shut this topic down.