Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Helen_P

Hey Tom nicely noticed, good job.

Just a quick question, was this the same person that was pretending to be you the other day that was sending out those PM to members.

Did you get to the bottom of that?

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

Hey Tom nicely noticed, good job.

Just a quick question, was this the same person that was pretending to be you the other day that was sending out those PM to members.

Did you get to the bottom of that?

Could have been. It was another Brit.

Thanks Tom for the explanation and thank you for all you do.

Rich Sennett

WOW!

I wasn't particularly enamored with "her" after her comments in that locked thread in the hardware forum. Loved "her" intro, hated almost everything after. I was almost moved to PM a AVSIM rep when someone thought "she" should have been a mod... Glad it didn't happen.

I was a volunteer forum/community manager for a high pop MMORPG forum. The forum itself makes it easy to get IP addresses. Why? For me it was primarily russian sites trying to sell things. Occasionally it would be a pr0n site. If you are worried about sites getting your IP address, maybe you should give up the internet now or get one of those IP masks. As for posting your IP, again every site and forum has the capaility to log and track you. I even knew of a forum that would post each persons IP address on each post... Bottom line: Your IP address is really not that secure to begin with. If you feel threatened, maybe you should check out VPNs or something similar

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

As for posting your IP, again every site and forum has the capaility to log and track you. I even knew of a forum that would post each persons IP address on each post... Bottom line: Your IP address is really not that secure to begin with. If you feel threatened, maybe you should check out VPNs or something similar

Exactly. We could publicly list everyone's IP address with every message they post. We don't do that for obvious reasons, but smaller sites do. And yes, every IP you use with your account is logged and stored forever here. We have banned people that have had over 20 IP's associated with their accounts. This isn't rocket science and folks that are squeamish about IP's being recorded should buy a log cabin somewhere and stay far far away from the Internet.

LMAO!!!! TOM, I CALLED THIS!!! I have the PM to prove it!!! =) Damn, I'm good.... That's 16 years of Law Enforcement for you, thank you. HAHAHAHAHAAHAH

Oh lord.. Am I going to have to hear this over and over again in Wichita? If so, you are buying the beer amigo!!! :drinks:

thought "she" should have been a mod

I know I couldnt believe what I was reading when I saw that

This isn't rocket science and folks that are squeamish about IP's being recorded should buy a log cabin somewhere and stay far far away from the Internet.

Really bad advice.......

C3A672F8-B498-4657-98E1-D28826D97AA9-3764-000001FABD96996B_zpsd39c36b7.jpg

Really bad advice.......

I didn't say go crazy and become a homicidal maniac... All of those are already out there and certainly not listening to my advice.

I am Batman.

The internet is truly nameless and faceless. Your internet identity is a chunk of clay to be formed into whatever you want it to be. That is the primary reason I prefer not to use my name or post much information about myself if at all possible. I'd rather maintain my anonymity. Anyone who HAS to know who I am can figure it out on their own, and that, too is kind of creepy. No criticism of your actions Tom, you did what you had to in order to protect the reputation of your site.

We could publicly list everyone's IP address with every message they post. We don't do that for obvious reasons

Which are? Perhaps the answer to that question clears things a bit up since there's a difference between systems logging data and admins posting it in public. I guess we agree on that. And your forum soft hides the addresses for a reason.

This isn't rocket science and folks that are squeamish about IP's being recorded should buy a log cabin somewhere and stay far far away from the Internet.

Well, I didn't know we were discussing on that level, Tom.

Constructive things. Would a message like

We've checked the user xxxxx and our internal IP reviews showed that this actually is a user having received a ban some time ago. Just to inform you folks, xxxxxx is now banned (again) and wasn't the person he/she told you.

have spoiled the celebration? I think not. It would have transported the same meaning, the same severity and would also have shown that the handling of private data is safe at Avsim. Professional appearance.

Holly Cow, just did a T and got over 17 jumps before it masqueraded and timed out.

Good Mannix work guys!

Really bad advice.......

C3A672F8-B498-4657-98E1-D28826D97AA9-3764-000001FABD96996B_zpsd39c36b7.jpg

Yeah, they should make getting a log cabin harder than acquiring fire arms...wait a minute...it IS!!! ;)