Sign in to follow this  
TU0833

FSX ATC assigns opposite runways for landing and departing

Is there a way to edit the default direction of flight in FSX?

Change the wind direction in the custom weather options. I'm not completely sure, but it may also be necessary to set wind speed to a value greater than 0kts.

They did say "As real as it gets" not "As real as it should be". We really need a 21st century Flight Simulator, unfortunately most of us have so much money invested in addons that if they could not be migrated over it would probably fail.

This issue with AI is very annoying, I find myself starting the sim "Cold and Dark" and burning up time with checks and programming the FMC until most everything finds its groove. Even then you see odd behavior. I really like it when AI plows through me or other AI on line up for take off.

Is there a way to edit the default direction of flight in FSX? 

What I see is with little to no winds FSX seems to pick the opposite direction of flight then the real world uses. 

Example would be this morning I see the real world departing on runway 27 (KSAN looking at flightaware.com) but FSX wants me to depart on runway 9. 

The same is normally true in KPHX.  Almost always FSX will have you land / depart runway 8, where the real world normally uses runway 26.

When the weather is not a factor it gets down to a simple thing, what is the runway defined as? In all of these cases, is you decompile the airport file, you will see that the runway at eg KSAN is 9, KPHX is 8, KLAX are 6 and 7. And that is where planes get directed.

Want to change things? Re-make the airports where the runways match real life. FSX does not see a runway 27 at KSAN, it only see a runway that is 180 degrees different from 9. So you go in and make the runway 27 and from now on the runway 180 degrees away would be from 27. Absent other factors the planes will take off from runway 27. It's really a simple solution, so long as the rest of the airport code is turned around 180 degrees.

For an airport like KLAX to get turned, around you would only need to work through the 32,026 lines of XML code.

I have had many occasions where PFPX assigns me a runway and this is also with using weather data from ASN that you can use with PFPX only to start the SIM and find FSX is using totally different runways than PFPX assigned me.