Sign in to follow this  
Bilal2104

what is a VOR?

Matthew is 14 Howard and is studying to be an airline pilot.

Seems like to me, he's gonna 'breeze' it. lol

Ahh LOL, then I was only a couple of years out!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Good link, but you really don't use alot of VORs when you fly modern tubeliners, a better advice would be to read the NGX manual, fly the tutorial flights, (while reading the tutorial flight manuals...) and read up on how modern airlines route their flights.

Check out Skyvector.com, should provide hours of fun :)

Yes you do use VORs in modern tubeliners, the only difference is the FMC automatically uses them when you are programming your route which is made up mostly of VORs and fixes between VORs.

Not wanting to highjack this thread, I think its related, specific Q...do all ILS airports have a VOR frequency?

Only reason I ask is because last night flying the Catalina X I could not get the VOR gauge to point to any ILS frequency I would tune into the NAV radio. The VOR gauge would just stay dead.

The ILS localizer and VOR are in the same frequency band, so a radio receiver can tune both. However, the signals are entirely different. The signals are "channelized" in localizer and VOR specific channels, so by tuning a specific channel, the receiver "knows" which type of signal it is working with. The appropriate output is sent to the instruments for display. Typically a single primary instrument can display either VOR or localizer automatically as the radio is tuned. VOR and localizer also have audio modulated onto their signals and the radio will output that to the audio control panel for amplification on headphone or speaker as selected.

Note that the localizer signal is directional, and is only certified to display correctly within its "service volume".

scott s.

guys, i was just asking i wasn't making out to be silly or i don't know anything. isnt it always good to ask. and yes i was reading upon but i just wanted to see additional information that i could benefit from gheez.

I7 10700K 16GB 3600MHZ RTX3080FE

Bilal, mate, when you ask a question on this forum; what is a VOR and mix in how to fly a Boeing 737, man, I am shocked you didn't get more flames...

We're a cool bunch here, but most of us have used hundreds, maybe thousands of hours reading, studying and practicing the handling of the worlds most advanced machines.

We respect you mate... Please use your head and respect your mates too.

Regards,

23.png

guys, i was just asking i wasn't making out to be silly or i don't know anything. isnt it always good to ask. and yes i was reading upon but i just wanted to see additional information that i could benefit from gheez.

Hi Bilal,

Dont feel bad, you did the right thing asking for assistance, that is what forums are for.

There are quite a few good documents regarding radio navigation, you can try the Avsim learn to fly forum, or some dedicated websites for it. The tutorials for advanced airliners like the NGX assumes a level of knowledge of radio navigation, basic knowledge, but a firm grasp nonetheless.

This is a fun little website which allows you to play with different scenarios for radio navigation, but you need to understand what the instruments are telling you. Hope it is of some help to you.

http://www.visi.com/~mim/nav/

and this one

http://www.luizmonteiro.com/learning_vor_sim.aspx

Best,

Will

what is a vor? a is vor apple - very sorry indeed :lol:

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

hello,

just wondering if im saying this right or wrong. what is the reasoning of having waypoints if your going to type in a vor freqency and to fly towards that?

dont feel bad, you did the right thing asking for assistance, that is what forums are for.

Top marks to you, Will, for that., and to you, Howard, for that link.

hello,

just wondering if im saying this right or wrong. what is the reasoning of having waypoints if your going to type in a vor freqency and to fly towards that?

A VOR is a physical radio antenna standing somewhere on the ground. You can use it as one of the waypoints in your flight plan. However if you could only plan a route that takes you directly over VORs your routing options would be very limited (or you'd have to build lots of VORs). That's why you also have other waypoints, that are e.g. defined by being a certain distance along a certain radial from a VOR, or purely by their latitude and longitude. Also, in the past navigating by VOR was the most advanced method. Now you can just type in a waypoint and fly straight there, but with older navigational equipment tuning the frequency and chasing the needle was the only way.

Old props without GPS will fly by looking out the window and the pilot will have a map, most will also be able to navigate using a VOR station or an NDB station. Later aircraft have GPS where they can now use waypoints. Waypoints are NDB´s, VOR´s, airfields, and some other names placed on airways etc.

Airliners use airway which are joined by waypoints. So if you want to fly from one city to another, you will enter the starting point of the airway, the ending point, and then tell the FMC what the airway is called and the FMC (flight management computer) will plot the route for the aircraft to follow (not always a straight line).

For airway planning or just to have a look at various waypoints, VOR´s etc, look at this website.

http://skyvector.com/

Click on "World Hi" at the top right and it shows you all the airways you can use to fly a route. Click on World VFR and you can see the many VOR circles that you can use if you are flying a smaller aircraft and just want to navigate using VORs or NDB (the smaller dotted circles).

So if you were in the PMDG 737 and you wanted to go from Chicago to Miami, you can simply enter OBK (the VOR just to the north of Chicago) then DHP (the VOR just near Miami) and tell it the airway is J73 and the plane will follow J73 through all the waypoints (starting at TILMN, PXV, LGC, GOONS,WYATT etc etc etc).

-Iain Watson-

Look up some vids on YouTube, Google, about VOR.

On aeronautical maps, pilot guides, such as flightaware, there are VORs for every route.

VORs are a navigational aid that guide your airplane from point A to point B. It can also be a bit handy when entering congested airspace.

If Landing at an airport with STARS, the VORs will guide you into the first star.

I'm assuming you know what SIDS/STARS are.

On aeronautical maps, pilot guides, such as flightaware, there are VORs for every route.

VORs are a navigational aid that guide your airplane from point A to point B. It can also be a bit handy when entering congested airspace.

If Landing at an airport with STARS, the VORs will guide you into the first star.

Not every route uses VOR's.

VOR'S let's you navigate in many ways, usually not a to b.

VOR often don't guide you into a Star.

I would assume if he doesn't know what a VOR is then we should not confuse him with SIDS and stars.

-Iain Watson-

hi thanks for that bit of information Yes i do know what a sid and start is and a matter of fact i just did tutorial one of the pmdg from egkk to eham and everything went smoothley