Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

AMD FX8350 8 core processor- My FSX Review & Performance

True that I went AMD since I'm in college and on a pretty tight budget thanks to orbx and carenado lol

Im always looking for "Better" and cheaper. Could give a hoot if AMD, Intel or  Hershey s Chocolate made it. I have no brand loyalty to any of the capitalist. Competition is good!

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

While a Hershey's Chocolate CPU would really be a sweeet unit, they don't handle OC temps very well and generally melt down into creamy chocolate goodness all over the mobo.  No OC recommended or the CPU core will melt down.

• Upvote 2

LMAO :)

While a Hershey's Chocolate CPU would really be a sweeet unit, they don't handle OC temps very well and generally melt down into creamy chocolate goodness all over the mobo.  No OC recommended or the CPU core will melt down.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Hi,

Thanks for the review.

I am surprised that you can get stable 4,8 GHz on 8 cores out of that Motherboard, as it uses a 4+1 power phase system.

Are you using any cloud/weather addons, like REX Essentials?

BR,

Anders

Hi guys

I have also a AMD processor (FX-8150 8 cores) and a GTX-650 card, however my system

shows the following peculiarity: when I assign 254 in the affinity mask,that means 7 cores, all

cores when I am running FSX are at the max 100% and the frames drop dramatically(exteme stutters)

but when I assign one core the frame rate becomes normal again (20-25) and I can run NGX

ok,shou'nt be the   other  way around? any suggestions?

Thanks

Panos

What AI traffic product are you using?

What are your FSX scenery/graphics settings?

Nice review, thanks!

Mitchell Haughee

Thank you very much for this thread..its quite informative ...!! ..I will be getting a fx 6300 in the near future..so its good to see that the Pile driver is performing admirably.. :)

Hi guys

I have also a AMD processor (FX-8150 8 cores) and a GTX-650 card, however my system

shows the following peculiarity: when I assign 254 in the affinity mask,that means 7 cores, all

cores when I am running FSX are at the max 100% and the frames drop dramatically(exteme stutters)

but when I assign one core the frame rate becomes normal again (20-25) and I can run NGX

Thanks

Panos

Hi guys

Thanks

Panos

I tried it aswell killed my frames set it back to 224 and it.smooth as butter

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Man I gotta ask how much voltage you running

I am surprised that you can get stable 4,8 GHz on 8 cores out of that Motherboard, as it uses a 4+1 power phase system.

Are you using any cloud/weather addons, like REX Essentials?

I will be getting a fx 6300 in the near future..so its good to see that the Pile driver is performing admirably.. :)

I am at 1.5375V on the CPU to get 4.8Ghz stable. CPU always runs 45-55c on stress testing but I do have quite the cooling system. I have been running this for 6 weeks now and it is perfectly stable. I have never had any lock ups, blue screens, feezing, crashing, etc.

IMO the FX 6300 is boss of 6 core CPUs right now :biggrin:

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

Nice post and review. Looks like a good chip. 4.8 Ghz on air??? wow. Went begrudgingly to Intel after 3 previous Fsx dedicated AMD builds. Have always been a fan. I'm getting very similar frames at heavy payware airports with PMDG NGX and the like. I'm OC'd @ 4.5 Ghz with my I7 3770K. Finally reasonably satisfied with my Fsx visual experience after 15 plus years of simming.

• Upvote 1

Nice to see that the 8350 is doing well on your system. I do have a question, since I also own a 8350, is it possible that my gpu slows down the entire system since it has only 1GB vram? (HD6870 with 2 monitors at 3968 x 1080)

when I assign 254 in the affinity mask,that means 7 cores, all
ok,shou'nt be the other way around? any suggestions?

Very interesting. I would like to know how AMDs modules handle FSX...

But are you saying that the first core (core#0) is 100% with affinitymask 254 as well? What else do you have running apart from FSX? 

What happens if you try with affinitymask=244? (main thread on core#2 and texture loaders on core#4-core#7)

Trev,

Thank you for taking the time to post your findings. No doubt it will become invaluable for others (myself included) who may some day move to an AM3+ system and will be wondering how well their new rig might run FSX

jimb

dual boot: win8.1pro64bit (primary) | win10pro64bit  | mobo: MSI Prestige x570 Creation | cpu and cooler:  AMD 5950X; Noctua NH-U12A | ram: 4each 8gb sticks of ddr4-3200 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 | gpu:  nvidia RTX2070Super Founders Edition| lcd: LG 24" 4k, LG 24UD58-B

.. just out of curiosity, any reason I should move from my AMD Phenom II X4 975, BB 4 core to, 6 core assuming that FSX is that only apps that I'm running  ????

Yair

.. just out of curiosity, any reason I should move from my AMD Phenom II X4 975, BB 4 core to, 6 core assuming that FSX is that only apps that I'm running  ????

Yair

Not really. Would be more of a sidegrade.

If you're going to get a new mobo and CPU, switch to Intel (I5 2500K or I5 3570K)