Sign in to follow this  
crimtye

JustFlight L1011 TriStar Released

Can anyone post some VC pictures, I'm curios! PLS! Thx!

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

X-Plane 11 Group:     Facebook

I think I am going to go for this one.
Really hope someone has a good review or at least some candid pics and a short version soon though, at work now.

For those of you who have it, what is the Flight Engineer's panel like? Is it basic 'F-lite' or is it slightly better?

I think I am going for it as well, Downloaded their BAE146 recently too which is very good.

First impressions - 5/10  (For comparison, I would give the PMDG MD-11 9/10 and Simcheck A300 7/10)

Systems - incomplete. No V-speeds, no pressurisation etc., 5/10 

Flight model - feels superficial, I climbed from 36,000 to 42,500 at steady 1,500fpm with full load and tanks? 5/10

2D cockpit is good looking and functional. Engineers panel is greatly simplified but otherwise not bad. 7/10

VC cockpit is not great to be honest. Mainly flat pictures with indicators, and it is missing key components (No APU controls, no INS/VOR switch) so you have no choice but to switch back and forward to 2D. - 5/10

Tutorial is run from the 2D cockpit as there are a few things that can not be done from VC. It is of the style "do this, then do this" and not "do this because..." so you do not really learn the systems. That said, most of it is easy to follow and there are plenty of pictures. In general - 7/10

The manual and the tutorial do concentrate on the INS system which is the core of this model (they do offer GPS for the faint hearted, but it is not in the tutorial). However, an example of weakness of this model (which I am sure will be quickly fixed) is that 1) the INS power switches on the overhead have very poor position indicators making it hard to know what position they are in, 2) the mouse control works much better in VC, but is easy to turn the wrong way, 3) the mouse control doesn't work well in 2D, and 4) they can be switched on, but not off. If you screw up your initialisation of the INS system, you can not reset it without quitting FSX.

The tutorial concentrates on the INS system, which is understandable as it has to be manually programmed and while realistic, is a real challenge to use well. However, the tutorial is not so good on how to correct inevitable mistakes and there doesn't appear to be a way to import a flight plan. I suggest the authors look at how the same INS system is modelled in the Simcheck A300 for inspiration. 4/10  ( it probably deserves more but it frustrated me too much!)

there doesn't appear to be a way to import a flight plan

Yes I think  there is. When you activate a flightplan from within fsx you'll be asked if you want to import the plan into the ins or something along those lines.

800MB? That about the size of the NGX download. Hopefully, the systems are just as deep and the VC quality are close to the NGX...

Definitely not!

In answer to some of the other questions, I bought it on release day, and was very disappointed and exchanged it for some 'reward point' credits with JF.   It is as 'lite' as 'lite' can be, using just the (unrealistic) default FSX autopilot for example.  The flight dynamics are also very questionable IMHO, and the plane seems very over-powered, causing 5000+ FPM climb rates at MTOW at FL200+ !

If you like eye candy, it may be worth the price of admission to you.     But I was personally very disappointed in it. 

Definitely not!

In answer to some of the other questions, I bought it on release day, and was very disappointed and exchanged it for some 'reward point' credits with JF.   It is as 'lite' as 'lite' can be, using just the (unrealistic) default FSX autopilot for example.  The flight dynamics are also very questionable IMHO, and the plane seems very over-powered, causing 5000+ FPM climb rates at MTOW at FL200+ !

If you like eye candy, it may be worth the price of admission to you.     But I was personally very disappointed in it. 

I concur. This purchase is one I regret the most in FSX.

First impressions - 5/10  (For comparison, I would give the PMDG MD-11 9/10 and Simcheck A300 7/10)

Systems - incomplete. No V-speeds, no pressurisation etc., 5/10 

Flight model - feels superficial, I climbed from 36,000 to 42,500 at steady 1,500fpm with full load and tanks? 5/10

2D cockpit is good looking and functional. Engineers panel is greatly simplified but otherwise not bad. 7/10

VC cockpit is not great to be honest. Mainly flat pictures with indicators, and it is missing key components (No APU controls, no INS/VOR switch) so you have no choice but to switch back and forward to 2D. - 5/10

Tutorial is run from the 2D cockpit as there are a few things that can not be done from VC. It is of the style "do this, then do this" and not "do this because..." so you do not really learn the systems. That said, most of it is easy to follow and there are plenty of pictures. In general - 7/10

The manual and the tutorial do concentrate on the INS system which is the core of this model (they do offer GPS for the faint hearted, but it is not in the tutorial). However, an example of weakness of this model (which I am sure will be quickly fixed) is that 1) the INS power switches on the overhead have very poor position indicators making it hard to know what position they are in, 2) the mouse control works much better in VC, but is easy to turn the wrong way, 3) the mouse control doesn't work well in 2D, and 4) they can be switched on, but not off. If you screw up your initialisation of the INS system, you can not reset it without quitting FSX.

The tutorial concentrates on the INS system, which is understandable as it has to be manually programmed and while realistic, is a real challenge to use well. However, the tutorial is not so good on how to correct inevitable mistakes and there doesn't appear to be a way to import a flight plan. I suggest the authors look at how the same INS system is modelled in the Simcheck A300 for inspiration. 4/10  ( it probably deserves more but it frustrated me too much!)

This is a pretty accurate mini-review and mostly what I find also.  I do like the aircraft because it is an L1011 and I have wanted one in FSX for a long time.  Even with all the negative points of this release, I find I enjoy flying it very much.

The INS is not as good as the CIVA freeware (which should be payware) that I have in the Simcheck A300, but it is still a good model.

This L1011 really looks like it was made by CLS to me.  Which is not completely a bad thing.

I really like it, but if someone makes a better one, it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

This L1011 really looks like it was made by CLS to me

If you look at the manual page 100 at the bottom it reads " Special Thanks to Gilbert Friemelt for his assistance during this project".  Mr Friemelt works for CLS.

I downloaded the 280MB demo today, VC only, which is how I fly anyway, limited to 2500 AGL, fine to test it out. I was pretty impressed. Comparing it more to say a CLS 747 about the same price, rather than A PMDG 737 which is about twice the price, I felt they've done a good job. I like the way all the flight and engine instruments will "pop out" if required, allowing you more detail when say hand flying than the normal VC. I was disappointed the F.O.'s flight instruments are clones of the captain and can't be operated independently, but that's quite common at this price range.

Sounds are good, and unusually for an FSX aircraft, I found I could trim to semi-hands off, even when flying a manual ILS (well maybe the odd tweak - but pretty good).

They've stuck to FSX autopilot commands (a negative for some) but a bonus for me as I use a VRi MCP panel (which recognises FSX commands - as well as some specific types) so everything on my MCP like the altimeter subscale, HDG bug, CRS bar, autothrottle speed, vertical speed, altitude select works fine, saves a lot of mouse work...

I can't see myself using the INS much, too fiddly and time consuming (as I'm sure it was in real life), but it's there for folks who like that sort of thing.

Maybe not one for the purests who want complete authenticity, but good fun, and visuals and sound good for the price range, I went ahead and bought it.

Nothing to lose by testing out the demo if you're a VC type..

Eugene

• Upvote 1

Has anyone tried to integrate the CIVA INS gauges into the JustFlight L1011?  Having the ADEU card reader as part of the deal makes programming so much easier.

Ron

Hi there,

can anyone share their experiences with SP1 that was just released the other day? I'm still interested, but held off my purchase after negative FDE reports.

I'm still looking for a good overall 1011 and would appreciate any post SP comments.

Cheers,

Pete

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

How good and accurate is thing?

As a comparison standard, I would like to set the Simcheck Airbus A300 B4-200, as it is an excellent and accurate simulation.

PS: I do not want a poor quality "simulation" like Quality Wings for example.

I want a simulation on the level of Simcheck (mentioned above), Leonardo (their Maddog MD-82), or PMDG (NGX, MD-11, 747-400, 777).

I would hardly call Qualitywings poor quality, although the 757 is a bit lite their Avro is definitely nearly as complex as Simcheck A300. 

Anyway if complex and accurate system simulation is what you are looking then I think this aircraft unfortunately isn't for you, it's on the lite side, somewhere between CLS and Qualitywings I would say.