Sign in to follow this  
atlflyer

should I come from xplane to fsx?

hey guys I use to play FSX a long time ago but went to xplane 10 about a year ago.xplane 10 has a lot of greatneat features but I was recently looking at FSX again and noticed all the great add ons it has. gex Extreme utx orbx and the great pmdg and captainsim aircraft. with my system below and all those add ons with FSX can I expect pretty good frame rates in most areas? I don't plan on flying using any Ai aircraft I plan on flying on vatsim most of the time.

Asus x79

3930k i7 oced to 4.2

Gtx 680 4gb

16 gb 1600 ram

27 imch acer at 1920x1080

Windows 7 64 bit premium

with that system can I fly the planes like the 737 NGX or the MD 11 without much problem into heavy airports?

Definitely give X-Plane a try. I have made the switch from FSX and am really enjoying it. It's 64 bit final now so a lot of developers are making great addons for it now. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

well what I was saying is i have xplane 64-bit already and I love the HDR environment and the great add on planes but it seems like there's just more scenery and better scenery now with FSX and all the payware stuff. Rex extreme coupled with gex and orbx looks amazing. and with orbx world coming soon..... basically I am asking will my system run FSX pretty much maxed out with the best payware airplanes like the 737 NGX

with that system can I fly the planes like the 737 NGX or the MD 11 without much problem into heavy airports?

The only way to know "for sure" is to try.  Why not load it up and try a few missions.  A few suggestions would be for you to try "Executive Tour", "Carrier Landing - IMC" and "Africa Relief" (or choose your poison).  If you are reasonably happy with the performance in those missions, I think going for the NGX (or upcoming 777) would be a 'safe bet' (i.e. I'd imagine you will be ok with it).

You can have some fun in the process.  Worse thing is (checking with the missions) you'll delete FSX from your drive.  

Yes. With a bit of tuning your system should have no problem at all with complex FSX aircraft and scenery. You could also add REX textures and AS2012 for weather and still get excellent performance.

But it really depends on the kind of flying you enjoy and how much of an immersion factor you want. I abandoned X-Plane four years ago for FS9 and couldn't have been happier that I did. Then two years later I built a new rig specifically for FSX which is in a completely different league than X-Plane in terms of total immersion. There simply aren't enough 3rd parties developing addons yet for that platform. And, although some people swear X-Plane's flight model is superior to FSX, for my kind of flying it's going to be a very long time before X-Plane provides the kind of overall simulation experience I want.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

Yep, best to install and try out the default maxed to see how it goes. If you get great performance, get a new addon and try it out again. There really is no way to be sure as each system reacts differently, even with similar specs. high end 3rd party addons are what usually make the experience, unfortunately they are also what kills performance.

Best, Michael

KDFW

Personally, I think you should opt for PrePar3D instead of FSX.Most Addonn Aircraft/scenery work with P3D with a simple addon tool and unlike FSX ,P3D is still being developed,supported and fine tuned.

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Definitely give X-Plane a try. I have made the switch from FSX and am really enjoying it. It's 64 bit final now so a lot of developers are making great addons for it now. :)

I just cant get into it. Still having performance issues, stupid clickspots problems, daytime look of the scenery is just bad etc etc. It looks great at night, but running HDR drops fps too much. Maybe I'll return to it once the lighting is resolved.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ryan...

Tho your post is useful, the captain420 did not read the OP closely enough as it concerns going from xplane back to fsx.

Regardless...  I'm guessing the OP will find many people on THESE forums saying "yes." If he went to the XP forum they might say no...

I run them both...  but playing FSX about 90% of the time.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

hey guys I use to play FSX a long time ago but went to xplane 10 about a year ago.xplane 10 has a lot of greatneat features but I was recently looking at FSX again and noticed all the great add ons it has. gex Extreme utx orbx and the great pmdg and captainsim aircraft. with my system below and all those add ons with FSX can I expect pretty good frame rates in most areas? I don't plan on flying using any Ai aircraft I plan on flying on vatsim most of the time.

Asus x79

3930k i7 oced to 4.2

Gtx 680 4gb

16 gb 1600 ram

27 imch acer at 1920x1080

Windows 7 64 bit premium

I'm going to answer your question, then share my enthusiasm with FSX.

Your system will have no problem handling the 737ngx into complex airports like FlyTamapa, FSDT, Simwings, etc. BUT, you will have to learn how to tweak FSX and stay away from settings that will cause poor performance and OOM errors. The major issues are caused by LOD settings above 4.5, textures above 2048, cloud draw distance more than 60 miles, and too much car & AI traffic.

You will also have to invest some money on add-ons if you want to get the most from FSX. You can stick with a vanilla FSX, but you will miss all the fun.

Since, X-Plane is currently incapable of rendering the following benefits I'll discuss, I've stuck with FSX for the long haul.

1) FSX Acceleration for carrier ops along wth payware VRS F-18. Simply amazing!

2) REX Essentials creates dynamic weather and immersive sound effects. This add-on is a MUST have.

3) Global textures. I use GEX, but soon ORBX will release FTX Global. If you also add FSX World mesh, and UTX, FSX becomes stunning!

4) I love the FTX regions and airports, but they can be very expensive, but they are perfect sceneries for VFR!

5) The ATC system can be updated with Editvoicepack (FREE) or ProFlight Emulator.

5) You can improve the AI by adding My Traffic 2013 or My Traffic Pro 5.4b.

6) If you want to add some great airports check out Fly Tampa, FSDT, Flightbeam, and Simwings.

7) If you want the best airliner, GA, or military planes, check out PMDG, Realair, and A2A.

8) There are some other add-ons that are must have:  the GNS 530, Accufeel, and GSX by FSDT.

As I stated, this can be an expensive hobby, but IMO, it is well worth the investment.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

AS2012 is superior to REX, Ultimate Traffic is superior to My Traffic, FSGenesis Mesh is superior to its competitors, EVP doesn't update the ATC system, it just changes the phraseology.

I think that when it comes down to it, XPlane and FSX are aimed at different types of users. I was impressed with XPlane graphics - but I am into the ground experience (taxiing refueling etc) just as much as the air - and ground realism is the one area that XPlane could use some work. But - many of the people who use XPlane couldn't care less about the ground experience - and for them XPlane seems to work perfectly.

In summary - I wouldn't switch simulators expecting one to be "better" than the other. They will be different, yes. But better or worse? No. That would only be possible if the two were exactly alike and they aren't.

Use both why Xplane, fsx think both have benefits and drawbacks. FSX is really good use it for photoreal scenery and rex textures, UTX vectors. Do think fsx very good if you can accept you can't max it out becomes a very good program. X-plane flying blows fsx out of water. Think once you have a quad that can go above 3.0ghz fsx becomes starts to surpass fs9 at max settings.