Sign in to follow this  
Movieman162

How to get the perfect install?

Hello chaps,

FSX has been really annoying me lately partly because I cant seem to get it stable (nice fps, no stutters or graphical anomalies), almost to the extent that I wanted to switch to X-Plane. So I want to try again, in a couple of days I am going to wipe FSX and everything related off my machine and start a new install. And basically I am asking for your suggestions on what to do when. I know there are several guides out but some of these clash on key points. So this time I want to try again and do anything I can to get a perfect install short of wiping my operating system or upgrading the computer. Typically I will be flying the 737NGX along with some airport and ORBX scenery, few utilites such as GSX and a weather program. I really would appreciate your suggestions as at the moment I have two weeks to kill. 

Hopefully I will be able to create a guide from the results since I am sure that this is a problem that affects many. 

Hi.

Well I've always installed FSX in the default location. Lots of people in here say different and install to a separate folder. I've never had any issues with using the default, no OOM or CTD'S and that's with been with Vista (64 bit) and now windows 7. Always run as administrator though when starting FSX.

I have tweaked the fsx.cfg file with the ******* tweak (www.venetubo.com) I did try adding other recomended tweaks on top of his and found I killed my FPS, so now just stick with his. Also I have used the NVIDIA inspector settings which are in this forum.

The result is now pretty much 25-30fps, locked at 30fps using Active Sky 2012, UTX Europe, Gatwick Extreme. Of course this depends on hardware too, I'm using a Gtx 660 video card and an i5 3570k overclocked to 4.5ghz and 8gb 1600 RAM

Hi,

I strongly recommend you to install FSX in a separate drive. As you, I had lots of issues and CTDs running FSX on it's default install location. Two months ago, I've decided to upgrade my computer and give a last opportunity to FSX. Before to install, I got a few internet search sessions, trying to find a good install guide amongst hundreds of them. Finally gettin' the option of two HDD (one for Win7 64bit and the other one for FSX) was by far my best choice. Now I'm able to do long hauls (B767 Level D) and especially two (and even three) legs (NGX) with no issues or CTDs at all and without the need of exit and re-run FSX. My humble advice: install FSX in a different hard drive than Windows.

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk HD

Ivan Lewis

PMDG B737NGX, B777 and B747v3 QOTS II

I don't have the NGX, or any PMDG aircraft for that matter, so I can't tell if you will get good everything with the NGX, but I can tell you I've had my computer since October and have had 3 CTD's, and two were because of FSinn, and one was FSX related. I installed it on a Windows 7 64 bit Professional, on a separate drive from the operating system. My OS is on the C: drive, and my FSX is on my D: drive, and this so far seems to work. I use *******'s tweaks (venetubo) and so far both of these seem to work, and this all I've done with my FSX and computer.

Best of luck  since everyone pc  is  different

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Thanks guys, all I have done so far is un-install everything but one recommendation have to make is run a registry cleaner after un-installing. FSX leaves behind a lot of unused DLL's which I can imagine would create problems for people re-instaling in new locations. 

Currently I am looking at updating drivers and whatnot but I was woundering what is the best nVidia driver to use? Or should I just go for the latest stable build. 

As has been stated in previous posts, There are instal guides in this and other forums that will get into much more detail than I can offer. Here is the short version: Fsx should be installed on its own dedicated hard drive in a folder created by yourself, not the program/files/x86 folder suggested by the installer. I finally did this after years of simming and have not looked back. Google Word Not Allowed's Fsx guide for more tips on config file tweaks and other patches and fixes. This has almost completely eliminated all my CTD and freezes and that's with a ton of add-on software.

Ok uninstalled and reinstalled fsx and the ngx and it has solved a few problems and given me a more stable base to work on however I still get bad screen tearing as well as stutters especially when in outside view. Vysnc is set to force on in the NVIDIA Inspector tool but still does not help. 

I suspect you're over stressing your system and video card.

Back off scenery complexity and Autogen, set Traffic to 9, AI traffic to minimal, Weather to lowest settings, see what happens.

If screen artifacts go away, work up step by step from there.

I'd recommend reading up on the Nvidia 3.14 drivers, there are a number of reports of serious problems with latest, 3.14.22, if memory serves. Try to stick with earlier ones. I'm doing fine with 3.14.07 on a GTX680 with Nvidia settings stock for FSX, just FXAA custom-turned-on.

Luck?  :lol:

Thanks guys, all I have done so far is un-install everything but one recommendation have to make is run a registry cleaner after un-installing. FSX leaves behind a lot of unused DLL's which I can imagine would create problems for people re-instaling in new locations. 

Currently I am looking at updating drivers and whatnot but I was woundering what is the best nVidia driver to use? Or should I just go for the latest stable build. 

I have installed FSX and all related applications under folder C:\FS.

Never had any issue with this. However, I installed it in this location right from the beginning. Shifting around an existing installation will most likey cause problems.

As for the nVidia drivers, it's hit or miss. I used to have settled on a quite old driver version for my GTX580, but I recently did a fresh install of my whole system on a new and bigger hard disk and went with the latest 314.22 WHQL version.

I've yet to see any problem with those drivers on my system.

Dave P. Woycek

I have installed FSX and all related applications under folder C:\FS.

Never had any issue with this. However, I installed it in this location right from the beginning. Shifting around an existing installation will most likey cause problems.

As for the nVidia drivers, it's hit or miss. I used to have settled on a quite old driver version for my GTX580, but I recently did a fresh install of my whole system on a new and bigger hard disk and went with the latest 314.22 WHQL version.

I've yet to see any problem with those drivers on my system.

I am running the same driver as you and also have my installation in the same location. As I said above the MSFS installer took out most of the files, I deleted the rest (add-ons) and also ccleaner cleared the registry so everything SHOULD be fresh. I appreciate this may not be the case but its fairly close. 

Will try and fiddle with the settings see what results can be achieved. But I am a bit worried as to how I could be over stressing my system when the screen tearing and stuttering were experienced at a small airport with just the 737NGX in outside view. 

Unfortunately there's no magic bullet.  So many variables and depends heavily on your individual system configuration, drivers, fsx.cfg, and then a lot of research, tweaking, testing, and doing it again and again until you're finally happy. 

For example, I just rebuilt my system recently and even with Dual 580 GTX's, SSD hard drives, and an overclocked i2500K at 4.7 Ghz.  I couldn't believe I was getting microstutters. Thought maybe the graphics cards just couldn't handle it with three 27" monitors in portrait.  But GPUz showed they weren't being pushed hard.

So after a lot of research, I found some people talking about changing the fsx.cfg [bufferPools] PoolSize=0 to PoolsSize=3000.  That pretty much cured MY microstutters.  But I also applied a LOT of other little tweaks in the fsx.cfg as well that most certainly contributed to the improved performance.  And, making little sacrifices here and there if needed. 

Here are some microstutter links that might be helpful:

http://ultimatecomputers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3644

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/331760-high-fps-but-micro-stutters/

With VSync, you need to make sure you have it correctly configured in the fsx.cfg (=True versus =1). Also, are you running in Windowed or Full Screen?  There are different VSync entries in the fsx.cfg for each way.  Here's some helpful links:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/283143-fsx-vsync-fix/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/375526-addendum-to-vsync-fix-windowed-mode/

As usual, Google is very helpful if you know what you're looking for.  Hope this helps a little.

Tony

I would say that ******* tool is outdated for nejer configs. I'm running on DIF drive, with Word Not Allowed tweaks and I get ctd once a quarter flying 3 days / week